1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking advice for begineer required!

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Gagan26Leeds, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Gagan26Leeds

Gagan26Leeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I'm due to have my NTL installed in a few weeks. I've decided to go down the Ethernet route. As I have previously being connecting my modem by USB. I have an ABIT NS7-S Motherboard which has this built in.

I would like be able to connect an old Mac 9600 to the broadband connection along with my PC. I think the router option would perhaps be the best, what exactly do I need for this? Are there any sites which provide information on how to set this up - beginners guide!

Cheers,

G

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    not sure on websites, but it's pretty easy stuff really..

your router comes with a default IP address ( usually 192.168.0.1, check the manual )

you just log into the router using IE, eg:

http://192.168.0.1 ( you may need to provide a password, check the manual)

then there is usually a setup wizard which takes you through the configuration process, which comprises these basis steps:

1) configure the router to connect to your ISP ( connection details from ISP required)

2) configure the LAN settings that your PCs will use ( basically just enabling DHCP )

3) setup wireless security if it's a wireless device

then just configure the PCs to use DHCP in the network connection TCPIP properties...

that's about all there is to it in terms of getting up and running, only takes a few minutes..

(dont forget to plug in the PCs... :D )