network video recorder

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by luckybib, Jul 2, 2016.

1. luckybib

luckybib
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I hope you might be prepared to give me some free advice?
    I have successfully installed a pan/tilt i.p. camera outside my house, but now I want to record it. Currently only viewable on iphone
    Apparently, you can view it on pc browser as well. I don't use this option.
    The brand is an unknown bought from e bay (sorry!!!!)

I believe I need an nvr?
    Or: maybe I connect a dedicated hard drive to the pc but I think I'm out of my depth setting this up.

I prefer as simple as possible, plug & play

I do have a stand alone pc not being used, maybe I hook this up?

Analytics would be useful to prevent trawling through etc I think I prefer nvr
    There seems to be a minefield of loads of different version products, and I simply don't know what I'm looking for.
    Is there a unit I can directly plug the end of the CAT5 cable into a recorder? most seem to want round old analogue style inputs?
    The camera cable currently plus into the router.
    Ideally I need as small a unit as possible, bit limited on space but if it has to be old-style dvd recorder size then ok.

I haven't got a rack to put it in.
    any advice welcomed, if you recommend an easy plug /play product please give a link

2. Haveagohero

Haveagohero
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try searching for a poe nvr
    Power Over Ethernet whereby you use the power off the nvr to operate the camera
    As for what will be compatible with your camera as you dont know the make it could be come very tricky to advise