network switch issue

Reaction score
i have a problem with my network switch

i have virgin media. direct ethernet cable from my pc to my routher im getting over 200mb

when i insert the cable into the switch to my pc im only gettin about 80 to 90mb
iv replace the cable from the router to the switch still no change.

does this mean its a faulty network or some settings iv missed.

thanx

What “speed” is you network switch? If your router has gigabit speed ports and your network switch is 10/100mb then that might be your issue.

The current switch was netgear 10/100 auto switching

Iv just bought a new one not tried it yet ProCurve 2510G-24 24-port gigabit ethernet switch

I have a feeling this will fix this issue

Ho adam

What do u mean by incorrect duplex??
Half or full duplex, both devices should be full duplex - if configurable. Auto usually detects and sets correctly, but some devices don't (often Cisco). Entry level devices don't give you the option to change it, but managed and smart managed devices usually do.

Duplex has nothing to do with port speed.

Duplex refers to the communication along the wire being "half" whereby only one party can communicate at a time, or "full" where communications can go both ways simultaneously.

Half duplex harks back to the days of CSMA/CD nightmares. /shudder

Duplex has nothing to do with port speed.

Duplex refers to the communication along the wire being "half" whereby only one party can communicate at a time, or "full" where communications can go both ways simultaneously.

Half duplex harks back to the days of CSMA/CD nightmares. /shudder
I didn't say duplex had anything to do with port speed, but if mismatched will reduce the network bandwidth.

Quite, but a devices can still work at 100mbps in either direction just not both at the same time.

Mismatched duplex causes big problems too.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom