Network switch advice.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I have bought a network storage device but it seems slow transferring files. I am using the PC wireless as I have used the ethernet port for the storage device, I am using a orange livebox so I only have 2 ports, one is for the xbox 360. Would a network switch make it faster so I can connect my PC through the ethernet. The pc is very close to the router and I am getting 54mbps connection.
It is not gigabit connection on the PC.

If a switch is needed can you recommend a cheap one, thanks.

andrew1810

A switch would be faster, 100Mbit

There isn't much between them, I have a £10 ebuyer (I think) one which is still going strong after about 3-4 years now

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I have just finished transferring the 51GB of files across, it took 24 hours. :eek:

I reckon this is 0.6mb/second, does this sound right, I think I read somewhere this should do around 5mb/sec?

Flerbizky

Standard Member
My guess is you'll see a great increase in transfer rate if you use a switch instead of wireless.. My laptop is the only thing in the household (apart from the PSP) that uses WLAN, and it's slow as syrup compared to the rest of the devices.

If you want a cheap unmanaged switch just for inhouse networking, I'd get one of the cheap D-Link 5 or 8 port GigaSpeed switches. They're cheap as dirt and very reliable..

Cheers,
Steff

rob_finch

Novice Member
If you want a cheap unmanaged switch just for inhouse networking, I'd get one of the cheap D-Link 5 or 8 port GigaSpeed switches. They're cheap as dirt and very reliable..

Cheers,
Steff
Hi,

I have a router which my cable modem connects into that has a 100Mb hub, and I'm looking to upgrade to Gigabit internally. Can I get one of the cheap switches you mention and feed the router and my computers into it? Would I be better ditching the router for one with Gigabit built in?

Thanks. (sorry to hijack! :blush: )

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
That sounds very slow indeed.
I tried it on ethernet and it is still slow, the printer also doesn't allow you to see the satus monitor so you don't know whcih ink has run out. I am sending it back for a refund and I am put the money towards a wii instead.

Ballistix999

Remembered (1966-2012)
If you want really decent speeds by a Gigaswitch and get a card for the PC. If you are shifting video around and sound files you need it. I edit video as a hobby too and have Gigabit around the house, it's the only way. Remember that to get throughput speed divide by 8. So your 100Mb switch will give you about 10-14MB a second...now you can see the leap Gigabit gives you. :)

TT

fourfoot

Novice Member
cheap switches ... Gigabit
Cheap and gigabit don't go together ;)

Jazz Monkey Jr said:
the printer also doesn't allow you to see the satus monitor so you don't know whcih ink has run out.
You'll only get that kind of functionality with a dedicated print server.

Ballistix999 said:
So your 100Mb switch will give you about 10-14MB a second...now you can see the leap Gigabit gives you.
Not a huge difference unless you're willing to pay for it. You'll probably only see an increase of a couple MB/s, even then, I'd put money on my 100Mbit network here outperforming any of these gigabit networks built using home user equipment.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Peope have tested it with gigabit and were still only getting 5mb/s which is far too slow for large RAW files and video, I will get the money back and put it towards a wii. :smashin:
I have put one of my 250GB SATA drives in the machine and I can live without a print server.

Ballistix999

Remembered (1966-2012)
Doesn't matter. It will be faster? Of course switch, using brevity to get the point across. Don't be so pedantic. :)

Show me the science that says no difference between 100Mb switch and 1000Mb switch that says little difference in performance and I'll shut up. In the meantime. For the sake of £50 we've probably spent more time waffling about it? :D

TT

drummerjohn

Doesn't matter. It will be faster? Of course switch, using brevity to get the point across. Don't be so pedantic. :)

Show me the science that says no difference between 100Mb switch and 1000Mb switch that says little difference in performance and I'll shut up. In the meantime. For the sake of £50 we've probably spent more time waffling about it? :D

TT
Of course it matters... If the NAS box is a Netgear SC101 which can only manage 7MB (56mb\s) at best on its 100mb port then a gigabit switch isnt going to make an ounce of difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom