Network Streamer from NAS - DNLA

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by dave_parki_uk, Feb 25, 2013.

1. dave_parki_uk

dave_parki_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +755
    I currently use a Sumvision Cyclone Micro 2+ with an external USB drive for all my media playing.

I have recently got a NAS (NSA310) with DNLA twonky server built in and i have moved all my media to the NAS but i dont want to have to copy files from my NAS to a USB drive. For some files i can use the xbox 360 but for MKV files it simply wont read them.

In the past i have used XBMC which is great for automatically scrapping all the files and getting nice cover art and show information but looking at the media players discussed in this section seem to all require third party Windows based software and manual refreshes, is there anything that works like XBMC?

So i need a network streamer that will play everything the Sumvision Cyclone plays, easy to use GUI, support HD audio connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR2113 receiver, automatically updates fresh content or has software which works with OS X and not be expensive.

I am looking at Sub £100, my current shortlist is:

Mede8er MED400X2
    Dune HD 101 - dont think this supports HD audio

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    WDTV Live and Popcornhour A400 both have internal scrapers that do not require a PC.

Pivos XIOS DS, runs XBMC though you will have to use the mod to save media library to SDcard as it will run out of space as theres only 8GB flash storage. Raspberry Pi can run XBMC via Raspbmc OS on an SDcard too.

XBMC on the XIOS is beta and HD audio pass-through is not there but is on a to-do list, will work fine with OSX.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  3. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the same NAS and word on the street (these forums) is that Zyxel are rubbish for streaming video.

I tried to stream a mkv file to a Sony blu ray player (S490) but the Sony just sees all files as mpegs and wouldn't play it.

There's also talk that it might be the Sony that's preventing the files playing properly. Either way, I can't figure it out. i.e. is it the NAS, is it the Sony?

So unless someone can explain how they stream mkv files from their NAS to their blu ray player, I will need to get a dedicated streamer eg. WD TV Live.

4. dave_parki_uk

dave_parki_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +755
    hmm, so far it has been fine for mp4 files to the xbox but that is using DNLA rather than directly connecting to the SMB share.

I might get a WD TV Live, if i do i will report back my findings. Suppose if it doesnt work i can send it back

5. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Zyxel + Twonky limits file formats supports, Sony bluray again other limitation so its both.

You need something that transcodes on the fly like Serviio but your NAS isn't powerful enough so a WDTV is a better option for playback.

6. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Would a higher end blu ray player work with my rubbish NAS?
    Thinking along the lines of a Denon 1713 blu ray player. Its a universal disc spinner so would be able to play back the SACD and DVD A discs I own.