Network Streamer for separate amp and NAS

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by D M B, Jul 8, 2015.

1. D M B

D M B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi guys,

I'm 99% decided on a Synology NAS to store my music. I was going to go for something like the Marantz CR610 amp/streamer, but having read reviews I don't think it will suit. I have always used separates as I feel they do everything better.

So I think i've decided on a dedicated Streamer to run along side a NAS.

Things are getting expensive with getting a NAS as well, so i'm looking at around £300 for the streamer, presuming this will be good enough.

Any recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks for any help.

2. nicka099

nicka099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
  3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    If you can stretch a little, the Marantz NA6005 is ideal though at £350 (from SuperFi) it is stretching your £300 limit. I assume you already have an amplifier?

Your other alternative is to look at Marantz (or other) AV ranges where economies of scale often bring bargains such as the outgoing NR1504 at £250 - this is offered more an alternative to the M-CR610.

4. nicka099

nicka099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
  5. D M B

D M B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers guys, i'm in two minds as to what to do. Here's my situation.

In the living room system we have a stereo amp and speakers which we use mainly for TV use to be honest. I was considering moving the stereo amp in to the kitchen/diner and having that as the main music system, seeing as we will probably listen to music more in there.

However, I would still like decent sound for the TV in the living room, so would probably end up getting another amp.

So my options as I see:

A) Leave living room as is.
    Buy an amp/steamer such as Sonos for kitchen.

B) Leave living room as is.
    Buy a separate amp and streamer for kitchen.

C) Move amp from LR to kitchen and buy a streamer.

Problem with B is more boxes which isnt ideal.

Once we get the NAS drive sorted, it would be great to have access this through both the living room and kitchen. I'm trying to figure out the best way forward for this.

I understand a Sonos gives the flexibility to add more speakers to other rooms, but we would be limited to Sonos speakers. I'm just not convinced the sound will be as good as our main system. But then in reality, with a young child etc, we probably don't need anything special.

Its all mainly background music in our situation, so I think I need to forget sound quality within reason.

Any thoughts welcome !

6. nicka099

nicka099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Sonos has their own active speaker range (Play 1/3/5/ Playbar, Sub) but also the Connect range which can be used with your own speakers/separates. Connect can be used to connect to any amp, av amp or active speakers or the Connect:amp can be used with any passive speakers of your choosing and your own sub.

Originally I started with a Connect and my own separates but soon got rid of all of my separates (many boxes) in place of mix of Play 1s, 3s, 5s, Playbar and Sub. My wife is very happy (less clutter, no more boxes, she can work it!), my kids have less to break and I have a great system for locally stored digital content and streaming (spotify, soundcloud...) Only my bank balance is unhappy.

It might not appeal to true audiophiles but my days of sitting in peace for hours appreciating CDs through expensive separates is long gone now that I have a family. It still puts out a very decent sound imo.

7. nicka099

nicka099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    ...one more thing - do you want the kitchen and LR to play the same music simultaneously and in sync ? If so, that will limit your options to true multi-room solutions like Sonos, Denon Heos, Bluesound etc (or I understand you can build your own with Raspberry pi if you are so inclined)

8. D M B

D M B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the Nick. Seeing as my life has took a similar turn, its a helpful post. I have a 10 month old son and very rarely will be sitting down for a proper listen. Part of me still has the urge to go for hifi quality stuff again, but I need to get out of that frame of mind and think realistically.

It sounds like the Sonos is the one to go for. We wont need to listen simultaneously though, we would just like to be able to access the NAS to play music or watch movies in different rooms should we ever get the chance haha.

Thanks again.

9. nicka099

nicka099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    There was recently an offer on for a pair of Play 1s for £299 which have a very small footprint but very good sound - particularly configured as a pair. You then have to option to split them up put one somewhere else if needed.

The offer looks to have finished but some places still have it e.g.
    http://www.simplysoundandvision.co....os_2_room_starter_set__2_x_play1/26530_p.html

My kids are now 5 and 8. They now have their own playlists and can select their music themselves within the app :eek: I can also turn the volume down from the bedroom when they turn the TV (playbar) on too loud in the morning at the weekend :D

10. D M B

D M B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hahah, I like that, full control :)

Thanks for that, I checked the link and watched the video review. Looks good.

Our local Richer Sounds do Sonos i've been told so I may have to get a demo.