Network streamer for qbuz and Spotify

martin 39

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all gor the last 5 yrs i have been just using my denon 4400h or my old arcam avr 400 to stream Spotify to a pair of monitor audio apex.
I know want to go back to having a separate music system like i used to have with my roksan caspian and cyrus cd but with a 2ch amp with home theater bypass and a streamer for qbuz.
I have changed the frts to a pair of old bw cm7 speakers and now after a amp and a streamer but no idea where to start. Hooing to buy used and on a budget i was thinking a old arcam fmj 2ch and a blusound node 2 would this work or are there cheaper better options. Obviously the denon will still be used for surround duties
Many thanks for any advice

If you mean if you can connect the Node to the Denon amplifier-yes. As long as it has RCA inputs (can’t imagine it does not).

The Node2i has all you need. There’s also the new one.

Need to make sure the stereo amplifier has HT-Pass. Don’t know if the Arcam has HT-Pass.

I know you said used, but here's my 2 cents 😉

If you want to replace the Arcam with a stereo amp that has HT Bypass and a BlueOS (aka Bluesound Node) streamer in one box, I'd look at the Roksan Attessa integrated amp (with bluOS streaming built in). Doing this will mean you won't need the seperate Bluesound Node (as the attessa essentially has a Node built in).

Granted its circa £1500. But a Node will cost you £500 and the cheapest (new) integrated amp with HT bypass is the 6000A (£599 RRP). The Attessa has more wpc (80 vs the 6000A's 50). Here's a thread about the Attessa:

and video review:

Definitely worth an audition imo

Here's a list of stereo amps with HT Bypass functionality:

The 6000A doesn't have HT bypass mode. It has a switchable option of integrated mode to pre-power. HT bypass assumes when you select an input (i.e. AUX1) that you can assign "HT" mode to that.

audiolab have had a bit of a price increase too recently - not much, but they're now £649 for the 6000A.

In my experience - BluOS is a really stable and easy to use platform with lots to like. It's incorporated more and more into systems such as NAD, Roksan's Attessa, DALI active speakers etc. The downside of an "all in one" is that you have to replace everything if you don't like the streamer/amp in a few years time.

The Attessa have been popular here - they're modern, extremely well built (weight a small ton!) and have a hint of the Roksan signature of old (with a little warmth added in there).

We're a big fan of the HiFi Rose RS201e (integrated amp + streamer - class D, 2 x100W) too. We're trying out the Lyngdorf in the new year to check out it's capabilities too.

To throw something a little different out there - Primare i15 Prisma amplifier.
Similarly priced to the Attessa, it features a 3/4 size amp (2x60w), integrated streamer, HT bypass and solid performance and a brilliant sound.

I'd recommend where possible trying to have a play in your local hifi store. Granted each do their own thing - but the above three are where I'd be looking :)

Hope this helps!

The 6000A doesn't have HT bypass mode. It has a switchable option of integrated mode to pre-power. HT bypass assumes when you select an input (i.e. AUX1) that you can assign "HT" mode to that.
I have the 6000A and use its HT Bypass (pre-power mode)... AFAIK (and in my use) I don't have to select an input - it works with any input - for my front speakers to be in use when in pre-power mode. To instigate HT Bypass I have my front speakers connected to the 6000A. The 6000A is then connected to my Denons front Pre-outs as follows with 2 RCA cables:

Audiolab 6000A "Power in" jacks ➡️ Denon Pre-outs (front).

To use my front speakers with my denon, I simply select Pre-power mode on the 6000A (I do not need to change the input on the Audiolab to get sound from my front speakers, only has to be in pre-power mode).

For 2 channel stereo sources, I then switch the Audiolab to integrated mode and select the relevant source (eg Bluetooth, Coaxial, optical etc).

Yep - the above is how you'd frig it. It's not a HT bypass mode (as that itself switches the amp mode) but what you're doing is how many customers use it too.

Thanks for the advice i was looking at picking up a used bluesound 2i and probably a used arcam a32 or 38 with the h theatre bypass and conect to the denon preouts. I used to do this yrs ago with a old caspian into a very old denon. The caspian had no h t bypass i used to just set the volume at half way and use a pre out on the back to the denon. This was way before room correction came about. Does this way no longer work?. I see the roksan kandy k2 has h t bypass are these any good im not looking to spend loads just make music better than going through the denon 4400h

Any thoughts on arcam sa20 there is one available for a very good price or a musical fidelity m3i also a nad c368 with blu sound module at a good price new. Very interesting the nad is to my eyes and wallet

Last edited:
Any thoughts on arcam sa20 there is one available for a very good price or a musical fidelity m3i also a nad c368 with blu sound module at a good price new. Very interesting the nad is to my eyes and wallet
Arcam SA20, if you want finesse, warm midrange. The Nad with onboard Bluos module is nice bonus, so no need then to get the separate Node.

Nad is punchy but little lean sounding. It depends on the speakers. MF Fidelity, never heard them but I’ve heard they are legendary in the hifi community.

MF are supposed to be on the warm side, whether they are refined sounding. I don’t know.

I've heard the SA20, nice amp! refined and articulate, and I nearly bought it. The m3i is fairly warm with a lot of detail, some say too bright but I suppose it depends on what speakers they used. Personally I don't like the new NAD sound, a little too bland for me. I'd say if you can get the SA20 with a big saving, go for it.

Thanks these are all around £5 to £600 except the nad at £900 they would be going with b & w cm7 i just got for £200 to replace my apex a10s also a Creek Evolution a50 for around £500

Thanks these are all around £5 to £600 except the nad at £900 they would be going with b & w cm7 i just got for £200 to replace my apex a10s also a Creek Evolution a50 for around £500
How much can you pick up the Arcam SA20 for? They were about £1000 new, I have seen them discounted for about 800 in some retailers.

There is one from a hifi shop i found for about £550.im seriously considering a musical fidelity m2si nigh on new for about £450

There is one from a hifi shop i found for about £550.im seriously considering a musical fidelity m2si nigh on new for about £450
wow that is a great price for both of them, let us know how you get on, shame you can't buy them both and send the one back you don't like.

Would a arcam sa10 work i missed out on the musical fidelity. I have been offered one for £400

Could work, could not. Now even if watts is not the most important thing to look for. It’s the current who drives the speakers. Still it only has 50 watts, if I’m not mistaken.

The B&W CM7 is 88db sensitive. 8 ohm, but drops below 4 ohm. I seem to remember the specs are like this.

If the speakers were 90 dB in sensitive, the Arcam would work fine. Still I’d look at amplifier from 80-100 watts.

Still Arcam makes great amplifiers. So take this as my view, yours may differ.

Edit, how large is the room? How powerful was the last stereo amplifier you owned? What brand too?

Look for Yamaha, Denon. The Denon PMA1600NE.

If you can find the Denon PMA2500NE, you well have no problems driving the speakers.

Marantz PM11-S3 too. Remember this amplifiers are big beasts! Takes up lot of space in the stereo rack.

You can’t find the Marantz PM8006?

Would a arcam sa10 work i missed out on the musical fidelity. I have been offered one for £400
The SA10 don’t have the Class G technology. From my understanding this could be whey have that special sound Arcam is famous. The SA20 has Class G technology. Even so Arcam always had that warm sound. Romantic sounding, yet dynamic. Midrange is very special. Full midrange which empathizing voices. I can’t explain it, you need to listen your self.

You can’t find the Arcam SA23, SA38 used? It is the full metal jacket series to Arcam.

I found a marantz 8005 on Facebook. I haven't owned a stereo amp for some yrs. I had a roksan caspian mk1 with my old 602s2. But we agreed at homw to movw the room around and went for smaller apex and a arcam avr400 but then went atmos and got a used denon 4400h which just doesn't cut it for music for me. So im trying to get a hald decent reasonable priced 2ch amp to solve this problem.

I found a marantz 8005 on Facebook. I haven't owned a stereo amp for some yrs. I had a roksan caspian mk1 with my old 602s2. But we agreed at homw to movw the room around and went for smaller apex and a arcam avr400 but then went atmos and got a used denon 4400h which just doesn't cut it for music for me. So im trying to get a hald decent reasonable priced 2ch amp to solve this problem.
First sorry I keep editing my replies. I write really fast!

The Marantz PM8005 has 70 watts in 8 ohms, 100 watts in 4 ohm. It’s great match for the B&W CM7 speakers.

Marantz, B&W are famous combination.Used by many audiophiles.

Go for it.

Plus it’s build like tank!

The avr400 was brilliant for music with my old b&w speakers and i always had a love for the cm series. The a38 seems to hold so much money when i can get a used a20 for similar money. But if they are better and do h theater bypass then definitely a option i have seen the a28 as well

Are they that good the marantz? I just hope its not like denon being the same company. Ill message him see if its still about

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom