Network streamer + amplifier combo for a given budget, need advice

Bogdar

Novice Member
Hi!

I recently purchased Dali Opticon 6 (4ohm, 89dB) and want to replace my Denon AVR-S650H.
All I need is:
  • playback from NAS (Flac now, probably DSD later)
  • Toslink or HDMI ARC for Smart TV
  • Airplay.
  • Probably Spotify connect.
No need for CD, no Bluray, no Phono.
My budget is $2k (may rise a bit if there will be really sweet options). I don't like Yamaha due to nature of sound with my speakers (tried with r-n803 and some of their AVR at the shop) and also app is not convenient for me, so WXC-50 is not an option. Here is what I can afford from budget and availability in my country perspectives:

• NAD C275BEE as power AMP with Denon Heos HS2 or Bluesound Node 2i as streamer/dac/preamp. Both have trigger out, so I can control the amp and volume from the application.
  • NAD C368 as power amp / pre-amp / DAC + BluOS MDC as streamer - it is single box that sould be upgraded with HDMI module for handy integration with TV (ARC and power/volume control from TV remote)
I stick to NAD because most of their current amps are available for quick delivery here.
I doubt if NAD C368 is an amp that will properly control my speakers while C275-based combos will probably have poor DAC/Preamp sections but allow upgrades with extra DAC and/or pre-amplifier later.
My music is 90% rock and heavy, from Queen to Metallica etc., not so loud, from 57dBa at night to 75-77 dBa SPL at noon, so ability to sound well on low volume is important.
So my questions are: if NAD C368 can give me the best of my speaker? Are that Blusound and Heos streamers audible bad?
If there much better streaming preamp around $1k with trigger output to couple with power amp please let me know too, I will check if it is available at shop or for ordering online.
My priority are management of playlists, volume and power from the single app, I hope it is possible around $2k in total.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Here’s a couple I would consider as well -

New Hegel H95 - seems to have everything you need. These have a good reputation of providing a big sound and can drive most speakers (damping factor 2000+).

Lots of review links on here H95

The hugely impressive Lyngdorf TDAI1120, a tad over budget but you get a phono turntable input plus the Room Perfect EQ system to make the best of your speakers and room.

madfiddler

Have you thought about a Bluesound Powernode 2i as a one box solution?

Bogdar

Novice Member
New Hegel H95 - seems to have everything you need.

Thank you, there is a price listed at local vendor, will check availability tomorrow. To me it looks strange and suspicious that Hegel don't tell neither power into 4Ohm nor total power consumption of the unit, no max current. And there are 3rd-party no measurements at the first glance.

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120

Not available here.

Have you thought about a Bluesound Powernode 2i as a one box solution?

Is it really worthy upgrade for my AVR?

At this moment I think that all-in-one devices will be abandoned by manufactures someday and purchasing something that can act as dumb amplifier or DAC without firmware or application updates will save my money in the future.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Hegel state - “This delivers a dynamic, agile, and powerful bass response, and is why 60 watts of output power is more than enough to drive challenging speakers with confidence.”

Video here shows the inside - separate transformers for preamp and power amp, he states it can be used down to 2ohm and is pretty much the same as the H90 But with the extra transformer and upgraded dac (From H120).

P.S. sorry for quoting US sites, the $ budget threw me off.

madfiddler

Thank you, there is a price listed at local vendor, will check availability tomorrow. To me it looks strange and suspicious that Hegel don't tell neither power into 4Ohm nor total power consumption of the unit, no max current. And there are 3rd-party no measurements at the first glance.

Not available here.

Is it really worthy upgrade for my AVR?

At this moment I think that all-in-one devices will be abandoned by manufactures someday and purchasing something that can act as dumb amplifier or DAC without firmware or application updates will save my money in the future.

well unless you really want to go 100% analogue I think it unlikely that there is anything like that not needing s/w which will do all you want. Appreciate the likes of the bluesound boxes whether powernode or not are more complicated in terms of s/w obviously, but that is true for the streaming options you want regardless. Lots of AVR and integrated amps require s/w of some description, Depends on what you want to spend your money on I guess, I dont see the one box as being a bad option necessarily just different And it does mean one app to control everything Which I think you were looking for.

Bogdar

Novice Member
needing s/w which will do all you want.

My idea is to split a setup and make sure that at least some piece of it can work without network connections when it's software became outdated. Ans just add new box with recent software when necessary.

I hope to get some ideas about my NAD combos. Are they good or bad for my speakers? Which of the may sound best ?

Bogdar

Novice Member
It seems I can get a Hegel H95 withing my budget from local vendor.
What is control application name for Hegel? Can't find anything relevant in appstore by 'Hegel' name. I want to install it and run in demo mode (or at least in the shop, if no demo available) to make sure that it is doing what I need.

madfiddler

My idea is to split a setup and make sure that at least some piece of it can work without network connections when it's software became outdated. Ans just add new box with recent software when necessary.

I hope to get some ideas about my NAD combos. Are they good or bad for my speakers? Which of the may sound best ?

ther is no reason that the NAD or other products mentioned won’t be good, but what you might prefer and how that sounds to you is a different thing.

There are two many variables to get a definitive answer on that, including your own room acoustics, so ultimately you will have to try something and see, so if you can get home demos then that would be a good idea.

KevinWoodward

Novice Member
Hi!

I recently purchased Dali Opticon 6 (4ohm, 89dB) and want to replace my Denon AVR-S650H.
All I need is:
  • playback from NAS (Flac now, probably DSD later)
  • Toslink or HDMI ARC for Smart TV
  • Airplay.
  • Probably Spotify connect.
No need for CD, no Bluray, no Phono.
My budget is $2k (may rise a bit if there will be really sweet options). I don't like Yamaha due to nature of sound with my speakers (tried with r-n803 and some of their AVR at the shop) and also app is not convenient for me, so WXC-50 is not an option. Here is what I can afford from budget and availability in my country perspectives:

• NAD C275BEE as power AMP with Denon Heos HS2 or Bluesound Node 2i as streamer/dac/preamp. Both have trigger out, so I can control the amp and volume from the application.
  • NAD C368 as power amp / pre-amp / DAC + BluOS MDC as streamer - it is single box that sould be upgraded with HDMI module for handy integration with TV (ARC and power/volume control from TV remote)
I stick to NAD because most of their current amps are available for quick delivery here.
I doubt if NAD C368 is an amp that will properly control my speakers while C275-based combos will probably have poor DAC/Preamp sections but allow upgrades with extra DAC and/or pre-amplifier later.
My music is 90% rock and heavy, from Queen to Metallica etc., not so loud, from 57dBa at night to 75-77 dBa SPL at noon, so ability to sound well on low volume is important.
So my questions are: if NAD C368 can give me the best of my speaker? Are that Blusound and Heos streamers audible bad?
If there much better streaming preamp around $1k with trigger output to couple with power amp please let me know too, I will check if it is available at shop or for ordering online.
My priority are management of playlists, volume and power from the single app, I hope it is possible around $2k in total.

Thank you.
What about the NAD M10, had a BlueNode built in.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom