1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network Storage with MCE 2005

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Turl2, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Turl2

Turl2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about added a network storage unit to my system with the intention of storing all my Mp3's, photo's and recorded TV on it. I could then access the files from other PC's on the network without the Media Center running.

Has anyone done this?. Can TV be recorded to a drive on the network and accessed for playback?. Could I start to watch a programme on one machine while being recorded by the MC?.

Cheers..

Turl :confused:

2. Rajibear

Rajibear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also tried to do the same thing. Getting windows MCE to pick up music and movies from a network drive is no problem but I am not sure about getting it to record to a network drive. There doesnt seem to be an option for it in the recorder storage options in the setting menu. To get around it I am using a tool called second copy that copies over the recorded tv in the background on a regular basis so I can then watch it from my networked drive. I also use the same tool to back up my other data to the networked drive.

Rajibear

3. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    You can record to a network drive. Just map to a network drive.

4. Turl2

Turl2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.....looks promising. :smashin:

Will probably go for the new Netgear SC101 with a couple of 300GB IDE hard drives. Just need to confirm what security software is included with the Netgear package (firewall, etc). Just concerned about someone being able to hack into the drive with no firewall or PC based monitoring system.

Turl

5. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    typically a firewall is the gateway to your network. So you should not need to have a firewall except at points of entry. Windows includes a free firewall because the Internet is often directly connected to the PC.

To avoid confusion and simplify matters I suggest to people to turn off Windows Firewall if they install a router/firewall, unless they have a laptop. As a laptop may be used outside the home network, and or may have wireless access, then I recommend the firewall be left on.

You won't find a firewall on a NAS device unless its also acting as a gateway/router. It will use whatever security it uses to implement the protocol for sharing. But as its not a general purpose computer it is unlikely that it will be very susceptible to direct attack, but keep an eye out for firmware updates.

However it is important to keep your PCs secure as normal as if they are hacked the virus may attack your network shares and thus indirectly your NAS box.

Cheers

Rajiv

6. reddom

reddom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Are you sure you can map a drive? to record tv to?
    I've tried this and it does not work for me. Windows knows the difference between a networked and a local drive, even when using subst or mapping a drive. MCE doesn't give you the choice of any of these for storage. You can edit the regisry or use one of the MCE tweaking tools, but MCE always sets it back to a local drive if you choose a non local one.
    Using the file copying tool is pretty much the only way that this is going to work for TV.
    If I'm wrong and there is a way to do this, I'd love to know.

Thx

RD

7. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Just a thought...........the Netgear is OK, but only 10/100MB. You may be better off using gigabit lan cards to mupliple PC's, (I am trying this option with 2 PC's).

Or using SATA PCI card with external SATA connections to external SATA storage, I have the cards and was intending to store SATA harddrives on a shelf, just like cd's, one for each series, then connect as required. You can only physically fit so many Hard drives into a PC case, and if you not using them all, why power them and create heat/noise.

Note I have no MCE experience, this approach may not work.

Here are details on an External Storage Solution:-

http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17379

Review of External 4 Bay Sata Array:-

http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/addonics/4sa/

8. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have looked at the Netgear but it needs some software running to use it. This is OK for PCs (don't know about MCE) but where an extender is used, it may not read from it.

9. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    The correct answer is that you _cannot_ record to a network drive.