Network refresh

darren68uk

evening all

I am running windows 7 home premium
and have a gigabit network and a QNAP 210 NAS, my internet is BT infinity off a home hub 3,

my problem is when i move a file from my pc to my nas over the lan it flies down like 30-40 MBs a 20GB file takes about 12 mins, if ive pronounced that right

BUT if i have been downloading from the internet, and then transfere a file it its more like KBs and looks to take hours,

the only way i have found round it, is to disable n enable my lan card on the pc? but sometimes doing that means it takes alot of fiddling ro get my nas seen

is there any proper way to sort this, or is my network setup wrong,:(

P.s off out, so apologies if i dont reply till later or in the morning

mickevh

Distinguished Member
BUT if i have been downloading from the internet, and then transfere a file it its more like KBs and looks to take hours,

Can we tease that out a bit more. If you download a file and store it it locally. Then copy it somewhere else, it should fly along as fst as anything else. There's nothing that "marks" the file to say "this was downloaded so copy it more slowly."

Of course, Internet downloads will always be slower. Even BT Infinity is nowhere near as fast as GBit ethernet.

darren68uk

Running a software firewall on your PC?

What switch are you using?

thanks for the reply, i use kaspersky security software

I have two TP link Gbit switches, basically all my media including the NAS are connected to one switch in the frontroom and then the switch is connected to a 15 meter cat 5 cable that connects to the other gbit switch at my pc and in turn connected straight to the gbit port in my home hub

Can we tease that out a bit more. If you download a file and store it it locally. Then copy it somewhere else, it should fly along as fst as anything else. There's nothing that "marks" the file to say "this was downloaded so copy it more slowly."

Of course, Internet downloads will always be slower. Even BT Infinity is nowhere near as fast as GBit ethernet.

ok yep i may have confused the issue a bit, what i mean is if i switch my pc on, and decide to transfere a file from it to the nas as i have done as im tyiping ( 44GB file at 35MB/s time to transfere approx 21 minutes)

now after this has completed, if i then just randomly decide to download a say 20GB file from the internet, and then after wards try to download anything to the nas etc thats connected to my switch in the front room, the speed goes down to KBs!!

niall campbell

Novice Member
if you download from the internet straight to PC then its fast

however if you download from internet straight to NAS it is slow

it does sound as if the files are being checked by anti virus programme or its being put in a temporary folder to store the info before it is sent to NAS, causing a bottleneck

darren68uk

Try turning off the security software to test.

will do, im just downloading from internet as i type, once down ill try trnasfereing to the nas, and if its slow will try with firewall off

if you download from the internet straight to PC then its fast

however if you download from internet straight to NAS it is slow

it does sound as if the files are being checked by anti virus programme or its being put in a temporary folder to store the info before it is sent to NAS, causing a bottleneck

will try both downlading to nas direct and from pc to nas after this file has finished, so soon will see, as for your last point, would that not be the case everytime? but it only happens after ive downloaded from the net to the pc!

darren68uk

find the problem:D

flaming you cant bend it all singing and dancing " bigfoot killer network card "
grrr

swapped over to the onboard lan port, works perfectly now:rotfl:

that card has giving me nothing but problems since i got my pc, should of opted for the snazy audio card instead, lol

thanks for all the help :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom