Network PVR - Something a bit different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonbyrne

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon Everyone.

I am looking for some help in finding a device that I hope exists.

What I am looking for is a PVR that will record from a Composite input and allow access to that recording over the network. Format is not so important as long as it is fairly well recognised, but it does need a reasonable level of compression so the files are manageable.

We currently record onto DVD's using a DVD recorder but moving forward I would like everything digitised.

I have a couple of CCTV DVR's that can sort of do this but they are not perfect and are overly complicated in other areas.

So any ideas?

Thanks

Good Afternoon Everyone.

What I am looking for is a PVR that will record from a Composite input and allow access to that recording over the network. Format is not so important as long as it is fairly well recognised, but it does need a reasonable level of compression so the files are manageable.

We currently record onto DVD's using a DVD recorder but moving forward I would like everything digitised.

I have a couple of CCTV DVR's that can sort of do this but they are not perfect and are overly complicated in other areas.

So any ideas?

Thanks

By the definitions used on this forum, no PVR would be capable of this as PVR's cannot record from any other source other than what comes in via the aerial source.
They cannot record external sources as they have no internal encoders.

DVDR's do have encoders but at present it is only the expensive HD twin tuner recorders that offer networking facilities ... but they are very limited facilities....to limited clients.. and it sounds as though it may be overkill for your purposes.

Thanks for that, it is what I feared.

Although in reality if I could find a good device that would record to SD Cards the I would forgo the network capabilities.

Good Afternoon Everyone.

So any ideas?

Thanks

A Tivo (series one not the new VM model) would do what you want to do despite it being ten years old now and it is a PVR. Networking is easy but not cheap and getting a stream off is a bit of work but possible.

You might also like to consider a Slingbox, streaming no problem and there are some programs which to allow you to record the stream on a PC.

Last edited:
If you are happy with the DVD recorder then you could stick with this. You could then load the DVD into a PC and copy the files off it onto the PC's HDD and stream them from there. If required you could even compress them to something like DivX to get them even smaller as that is a very common and compatible file format that will work on just about any media player.

Mark.

Thanks Mark and Fred.

I would need about 16 of these so I do not think that old Tivo's would be suitable but thanks for the thought.

Mark I unfortunatly it will not be me operating these on a daily basis so we need something simple.

I have now found a few cctv sd card recorders which may be suitable so I am going to investigate that route further just need to make sure I can get a decent resolution and frame rate.

How about an all PC recording & streaming option such as This
It can record up to 4 cameras at 25fps with 50 or 100fps options also available (at a cost). The cameras can be viewed live over a local network or the internet, or the recordings streamed when required.

Mark.

Have tried it but have not found a user interface that is as easy to use as a record button on a DVD Recorder. It might sound stupid but where this is for there are a large number of people who have to be able to start and stop recordings and put them on some kind of removable media.

Thanks for the help though.

I have started a new thread in the Security Forum so could the mods close this one please?

Closed as requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom