Network Provider help

MartinMiller

Hi all
Thinking about going back to an iPhone but ive been with ee for years now and want to know about other providers. I can get good deals on sky, virgin and 3 but has anyone used them? What about signal etc.

Any advice would be appreciated before i go ahead with it.

Cheers

Last edited:

tickedon

All the providers have network maps on their websites where you can enter postcodes of your home, work etc. and see what coverage they offer.

Everyone will have different experiences of network coverage as it's particularly local to where you live and work. My experience in London is pretty useless in gauging someone's experience in Reading, nevermind Newcastle or the Scottish highlands.

That said, I have both an EE data sim for my tablet and Vodafone for my phone. Neither of them works very well in my home unless I'm next to an exterior wall on either side, but everywhere else I go (I travel all over the UK for work and up to Scottish highlands for holidays) they work absolutely fine.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I can get food seals on sky, virgin and 3 but has anyone used them? What about signal etc.
“Food seals”? Auto Correct I presume?
As tickedon states check the networks providers online coverage maps but ask friends, neighbours, work colleagues etc what network they use and what the signal is like for data in the area where you intend to use it.

MartinMiller

“Food seals”? Auto Correct I presume?
As tickedon states check the networks providers online coverage maps but ask friends, neighbours, work colleagues etc what network they use and what the signal is like for data in the area where you intend to use it.
Sorted the spelling 😂
I work all over uk so putting my own postcode into the checker only shows local coverage, thats why ive asked in here.
Looking for peoples past dealings with these companies too.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I live in South Lanarkshire but work/travel around central and the west coast of Scotland and have always found EE's network best for 4G coverage followed closely by Vodafone & O2.
Sky mobile use O2 and Virgin mobile use EE.

MartinMiller

I live in South Lanarkshire but work/travel around central and the west coast of Scotland and have always found EE's network best for 4G coverage followed closely by Vodafone & O2.
Sky mobile use O2 and Virgin mobile use EE.
Im in South Lanarkshire too 😂
Small world

Thanks for that.

bransoj

I've been on 3 for years now and had no issues in fact its probably better now than it was when i joined, got a sim only deal that includes unlimited data. I dont get a great signal at home mainly because of the foil back insulation we had put in when we had building work done but wifi calling sorts that out. Call Centres are not UK based which may be an issue for some.

I've been pondering an upgrade soon and the deals with 3 arent great even being a long time customer. I'm considering switching to Sky Mobile who run on O2 so you get their network coverage which they continually boast is 99% of the country i think. If you are a Sky TV customer you seem to get some decent deals plus streaming of things from Sky Go isnt included in your data so thats a good chunk of my data usage done straight away plus unused data rolls over each month so you can build up quite a bit.

BM08

Me and my wife have been with Three for years now, as above it has definitely improved in the last 5-6 years. Our signal at home isn’t fantastic, but it’s good enough for doing everything we want on the phones without needing WiFi really, so it’s never bothered us. Then when we walk outside of the house the signal improves a lot then, and travelling to and from work, and other places we’ve never had a problem.

I can honestly count on one hand the amount of times I’ve had to call Three for an issue with the network.

Very rare that we’ve not been able to make a call or send a text due to a network fault.

Overall we are happy with Three

jlm32

I agree with the post about EE I travel up & down the country doing on average 2000 plus Miles per week.
Going to London -Poole - Lincoln -Cambridge - Nottingham - Scotland you get the message 😊.
I speak to a lot of my mates on 02 & 3 not that impressed with them have been using Vodafone for the last 18 mts & before EE I would say EE was better but Vodafone not far away.
Same old story depends where you are in the country.

bransoj

I'm with Three and my wife is on O2, its very rare neither of us have a signal. I dont do loads of travelling but do get about quite a bit and i dont remember having an issue and i have the bonus that i get unlimited data so i can use it for anything without having to worry about limits.

This said the deals to get a new phone, i'm currently sim free direct from Apple, arent great so i'm pondering moving to Sky Mobile who run off the O2 network. Being a long time Sky TV subscriber i seem to get some good deals plus they do 25gb a month but Sky Go doesnt count which is the main thing i use that gets through a lot of data.