Question Network problems

jassco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since moving over to BT (and using the homehub 5) we've been having lots of issues with our broadband. Some of these are external that I can't do much about other than complain (eg frequently dropped internet connection), however we're also having multiple problems with the network whilst the internet is connected. I've only noticed in on some devices listed below, but due to its infrequentness I don't doubt it's all devices.

Our system includes:
Office computer (wired via homeplug)
youview box (wired via homeplug)
two mobiles (wireless)
two laptops (wireless)
bedroom tv (wireless)

The problem is that the devices lose internet connection for about 30 seconds, but they still think they're connected to the network. If I try and access the router via a browser, it doesn't even connect. Most of the time, they just start working again but sometimes they need restarting. The strange thing is that it's only ever one device at a time, eg I can be watching netflix on the youview box and my mobile phone will stop accessing the internet. It also happens most frequently on the wired connections.

I suspect that the router is dodgy but BT customer services are worse than useless. Am I likely to be right, and if so can anyone recommend a decent one that's a reasonable price (~£30)?

In that case, you'd need a Router with VDSL. Doubt you'd get one for £30. The fully featured modems are a lot more money. Firstly, I'd try to escalate with BT, try and force them to put you onto a UK agent and then you might get somewhere. I've got the HomeHub5 and it works perfectly for me, in fact it has out performed a much more expensive aftermarket one I tried recently.

Having a quick browse on Amazon finds a couple of VDSL ones, these are the cheapest I could find. I've no experience of these, so don't take it as a recommendation, they are just ones I found.

TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router (2.4 GHz 300Mbps, 5 GHz 300Mbps, 2 USB Ports for Storage Sharing, Media/Print Server): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Billion BiPAC 8800NL VDSL2/ADSL2+ with Gigabit and USB Port Wireless N Modem Router: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yeah router must be dodgy, ive got infinity with the hub 5 and is consistently fine wired or wireless, get over 70Mb down and near 20Mb up. Cant hurt to try a different router.

Funny enough I've a homehub 5 and get similar issues when the internet just stop, I put it down to the router not being great. It seems to be the same where I can be watching youtube and everything else loses internet connection (on the same PC and other devices).

TBH I'd look to solve it yourself, I raised issues with BT for weeks over slow internet speeds and telling them the faceplate was faulty. Ended up replacing it myself as they said it was chargeable.

Could they be IP clashes and reconnecting or restarting renegotiates and so gets a new IP address?

Check whether the log shows anything - 192.168.1.254, Trouleshooting, Event Log.

I had the exact same problems with a home hub 2, BT equipment is absolutely gash.

As others have said, get your own router, however do you have 2 boxes, a white openreach one that plugs into the line then the BT hub that plugs into that? If so you don't need a fancy all in one router, just get one for internal use.

I've had an Asus N66U for a few years now and has worked perfectly with both BT and virgin fibre, would never go back to ISP equipment now (apart from the required modem).

Cheers guys - spoke to BT this morning in what was a surprisingly good bit of service. I sent them a text last night saying I still had problems, they phoned me at half 8 and are sending out a new hub today.

@Bryn HH unfortunately it's all in one, so would have to buy an all-signing, all-dancing machine

@Sniper Ash6 good idea - when the new hub arrives I may just assign IP addresses to most devices to stop this from happening

That's annoying. I looked to see if the 5 could be put into modem only mode like the virgin router but apparently not. However, it seems you can turn off the dhcp server and connect another router to it.

Have a look at post 8 below, there's a fairly good guide that seems suitable.

Configure Home Hub 5 as modem only? - BTCare Community Forums

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom