• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Network noob in need of help: connection to file server

mshunter

Standard Member
So I have the following set up:

Vergin media home hub in modem mode to Cisco E4200 (doing the routing)
Made the mistake of upgrading to new Online firmware. (how do I downgrade?)

But my main issue is:
this connects to a 8-port GB switch.
My PC and HP micro server are both on the switch using Cat6 patch cables, I get a connection but the transfer rate is mostly under 1mb. (as far as I Understand even on separate switches I should not be losing bandwidth like that)

Since upgrading to new Firmware everything went to ****!
If I set IPs outside the DHCP range for Server, PC and Printer my internet connection speed dies ***!!!

So atm I am using everything in DHCP not set IP but I need set IPs for at least these 3 devices. Before Upgrade I had all my network backbone of homeplugs on set IPs as well.

rorton

So if your PC and Microserver are on the same switch, you can rule the router out of this (and perhaps disconnect for the time being)

You have transfer speed issues between the PC and the Server on the switch.

Have these devices ever worked correctly, is the server a new build?

For a test, i would disconnect the router, and give the PC and the server a static IP address in the same subnet, and then try copying a file to see what speeds you get.

Whats the IP address setup on your network? are you using a single subnet?

mshunter

Standard Member
ATM everything is on DHCP due to the issues with the new firmware for the Cisco E4200 router.
AKA FULL Auto. When I originally set up the network a mate helped and we set it up all on the same subnet but the static IPs where outside the DHCP range so that there are no conflicts.

they worked great for a good while then something happened and since then just crap sub 1mb transfer rates.
Server runs plain win7 pro with shares no server software. All otehr PCs are either win7 or win8 machines.

Edit: as far as I understand you need a router to be able to set IPs, at least when using consumer switches.

DeepDiver

I had a similar problem. would take hours to transfer my ripped blurays. Try turning off your firewall to see if it improves speed. my files were transferring in kb/sec. That changed to mb/sec with the firewall turned off. ie: 20gb file would take about 5 mins to transfer at a rate of about 90 mb/sec.

If that works then try turning off anything to do with IPv6 on the advanced tab on the properties of your network card. you could also set the speed to gigabit on the nic also. Then try a file transfer with the firewall turned on.

It worked for me, but don't ask me why. I run Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 and could not find anything to change in the firewall settings.

Hope this helps

rorton

ATM everything is on DHCP due to the issues with the new firmware for the Cisco E4200 router.
AKA FULL Auto. When I originally set up the network a mate helped and we set it up all on the same subnet but the static IPs where outside the DHCP range so that there are no conflicts.

they worked great for a good while then something happened and since then just crap sub 1mb transfer rates.
Server runs plain win7 pro with shares no server software. All otehr PCs are either win7 or win8 machines.

Edit: as far as I understand you need a router to be able to set IPs, at least when using consumer switches.

You need a router to issue DHCP IP addresses, but nothing to stop you setting an address on each device.

For instance, set the PC to 192.168.1.100, subnet 255.255.255.0, and the Server to 192.168.1.101, same subnet

This is back to basics networking, and should at least prove the connectivity between your PC, the Server, and the switch.

Give this a whirl, just connecting the 3 devices up and see if the transfer rate improves

mshunter

Standard Member
Turning off IPV6 in Router and setting up IPs again now I got 100 to 110 mbs !!!
Even with port forwarding one port to my PC (for server purposes).
Oh and tested internet speed all is well again.
Thank you!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom