• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Network music player in bathroom?

big john 1983

Established Member
Hi guys,

I really want to put a music system in my bathroom, but i'm not sure exactly what I would need to do?

I looked at the squeezebox system, but wondered if the remote would be ok in a damp environment and how would I control the volume of the amp, that would have to belocated remotely and I assume on all the time?

Does anyone have any other bright ideas? Or has anyone already done this sucessfully?

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
I would use a Sonos ZP120 Zoneplayer located remotely to power a pair of in-ceiling speakers in the bathroom. This would give you full control of all aspects of playback including volume from a single remote. The remote itself is perfectly happy being used in damp environments as this video will highlight:

YouTube - Sonos - Underwater Love!

You would then also have the ability to easily expand the system into other rooms in your house with additional Zoneplayers.

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
>Does anyone have any other bright ideas?<

IIRC KB Sound Select will do FM radio with in-ceiling bathroom speakers and remote control. That's about £150.

ro53ben

Prominent Member
I've seen people put remotes in ziplock bags for use in wet or damp areas, like bathroom or hot tub. As the Squeezebox controller scrollwheel is like a 1st gen iPod and needs to physically turn, you can't do this through a plastic bag; so this isn't an option.

As the guy above recommended, the Sonos is the best in the marketplace for wet areas.

big john 1983

Established Member
Holy crap!

I can't believe he drowns the player! That answers that question then!

I was just wondering with regards to the Sonos if for example I went for the starter bundle with the zone90 and zone120, as the zone120 is amplified I would only need to add speakers, but could the zone120 be hidden in the adjacent room, i.e bedroom/loft and would the remote work through a wall?

Many thanks for all your replies!

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
So just beween say the back bedroom and bathroom (adjacent) should be fine?

Has anyone done this, becuase I don't want to shell out £700 to find it doesn't work!

If so my problem is solved!

Many thanks,

John

Unless your walls are made of lead or 3' thick concrete you should be fine.

ro53ben

Prominent Member
So just beween say the back bedroom and bathroom (adjacent) should be fine?

Has anyone done this, becuase I don't want to shell out £700 to find it doesn't work!

If so my problem is solved!

Many thanks,

John

Hundreds of owners have done it, including myself.

big john 1983

Established Member
Many thanks for all of your replies, I think the Sonos is the way forward!

I am thinking ZP120 amplified unit in bathroom with ceiling speakers (can anyone recommend any resonably priced ones?) and the non-amplified ZP90 unit in the kitchen with separate amp and speakers, or would it be better to get another ZP120? As I have seen some good deals on ebay.

Also is there a massive difference in reasonably priced bookshelf speakers vs similarly proced ceiling speakers?

Many thanks in advance

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello big john 1983

Just to be clear - no one drowns a Sonos player (that would be a pretty hazardous demo)!

Its the Sonos wireless (battery powered) controller that is 'drowned' - and that's the only bit of Sonos kit that's designed to be housed/used in a wet room.

Most bath/shower/toilet rooms are pretty much free from soft furnishings so tend to sound very lively - the last thing you want to do is put in a set of bright and nasty sounding loudspeakers (floor, wall or ceiling).

Atlantic Technology (Atlantic Technology - Hidden Speaker Systems) produce decent sounding In-ceiling Spks that can be used in a wet room.

Keep in mind with In-ceiling Spks you will have sound going backwards as well as forwards - if there is a bedroom above the area where you plan to install the Spks think carefully about how to stop too much sound leaking into the bedroom.

The choice of ZP120 vs. ZP90 + Amp is really down to the size of room your are trying to fill with sound, the sensitivity of the Loudspeakers you want to use and how loud you like your music.

Joe

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I am thinking ZP120 amplified unit in bathroom with ceiling speakers (can anyone recommend any resonably priced ones?)

I didn't see any point in spending a lot on bathroom speakers due to the poor acoustics (hard tiles/surfaces and water noise from showers etc.) so went with a pair of these hooked up to a cheap Marantz stereo amp which is in a wardrobe. I don't control it from the bathroom but did consider a keene ir extender faceplate. If you can afford a few more quid, Kef's in ceilings are all waterproof IIRC. I recently got a set of Speakercraft in-walls for a bedroom from an installer that frequents the forums called vex (wired life). Perhaps give him a shout, he was very helpful when I dealt with him.

coolio107

Established Member
I have seen few bathroom Squeezbox Mods based on the SB3 (Classic), but that would mean using an IR remote.
I use an iPod touch as a remote (obviously :) ).
But that one works quite well in wet environments (as opposed to the iPhone) and you can control Squeezebox or Sonos with it.

duraley

Standard Member
I have a NAS media server and I would like to bring digital music to the bathroom. That's why I'm looking for a UPNP/DLNA media-player with display which can be wall-mounted and which has audio-out connectors to play the musi&#1089; through external ceiling speakers. Could you recommend me some variants if there are such? Ir is it my fantasy? I do not want to implement expensive multi-room systems and would like to use my NAS for that.
Thank you very much for any recommendations.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
>Does anyone have any other bright ideas?<

IIRC KB Sound Select will do FM radio with in-ceiling bathroom speakers and remote control. That's about £150.

It will but sounds utter pants, Power is the issue in a bathroom best to keep electronics elsewhere and run speaker to the bathroom. There are som IP rated multiroom systems you can use tho

Attachments

• 1233332638-family-bathroom.jpg
    1233332638-family-bathroom.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,316
  • 1233332699-family-bathroom-speakers.jpg
    1233332699-family-bathroom-speakers.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,760
  • 1233332923-family-bathroom-keypad-close-up.jpg
    1233332923-family-bathroom-keypad-close-up.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2,239
Last edited:

simon72post

Standard Member
Hi

I have just set up music in my bathroom. very cheaply.

to start with I already have a slimserver. I installed softsqueeze on the server which is then connected to my amp which is remote controlled.

I bought a pair of these speakers Vidsonix Tactile Transducer from ebay.

which are mounted above the cielin in the shower room and one under the bath.

I got an old learner remote and wired some relays to the buttons.
and made a simple control panel which is mounted in the shower.
and wired to the remote control. which controls my stereo.

And if I want more control I use my pda in an otter case.
2600 Series PDA Case // OtterBox.com
to give me full control of the slimserver.

phil2415

Standard Member
Hi Simon,

I'm intrigued by your solution, can you give more details? How do those speakers sound? If they were good they'd be perfect for my situation but I can't imaging them sounding particularly great!

Also, can you explain more about the control panel you've mounted in the shower? I don't understand what you've done but it sounds cool!

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
Interesting thread folks.
I'm looking at doing something similar when I refurb my bathroom sometime soon-ish....

I'm looking at puting an SB3 behind a sealed perspex screen, and using a Keene wall mount amp.
Keene Electronics

Power supply would probably be located in an adjacent room, and I'll probably RCD the whole kit and caboodle.

I'll clearly pay attention to bathroom zoning and IP requirements.

I'll probably use some sort of heat shrink food seal shrink bag for the SB3 remote.

I haven't really looked into speakers so would apreciate any recommendations, budget for spks is probably around the £100 mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom