1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network MP3 player

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by DNWILLIAMS, Oct 31, 2005.

1. DNWILLIAMS

DNWILLIAMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Looking for a little help, I have done a search but haven't really found the info I want. I have a Network Attached Storage device that holds all my media files. I am looking for an ethernet connected MP3 player for our kitchen that can stream MP3's directly from the NAS without having to run any server-client software on a PC. The NAS runs a bespoke very basic linux based OS ( www.serverelements.com ) but it cannot run independant software applications. It is purely a storage device and I want to avoid if I can having to have a Windows based server machine running all the while. I really like the Squeeze box and the Roku units but they both appear to need there own music server software, I am looking for something that scans a network for MP3's and then playes 'em. Anyone know of such a device? I think the Sonos one can but it's too much money for just the kitchen :) and to be honest I just can't see my wife going for another pc for in the kitchen, the HTPC in the lounge took all my negotiating skills :rotfl: Any advice would be much appreciated :lease:

2. Geoggy

Geoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
  3. baddison

baddison
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.my-noxon.com/noxon.html

The new Noxon can apparently have usb hard drives connected directly into it. A unique feature as far as I am aware. If the unit is any good in reviews I plan to connect a 2.5" usb hd to it and connect the Noxon to my dac through digital out. I looked at the Squeezebox route briefly too, but I know from experience how unreliable networked devices can be.

If only the ipod had digital out. Would save us all so much hassle. If they released an ipod with a dock with digital out I would buy one right now - no hesitation. I just love that clickwheel. Such an elegant solution to scanning through hundreds of artists.

Anyway, the Noxon2 has only just be released so I would appreciate any info anyone comes across. Still looking for where to actually buy one. :smashin:

4. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Noxon2 hasn't been released over here yet, I'll let you know as soon as it has though.

So far I haven't been given a release date by the distributor though

Andrew

5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,104
    Have you looked to see if your NAS is supported by www.twonkyvision.de?

If it is then you can use a variety of Universal Plug and Play (uPnP) digital music devices from Philips, Netgear etc.

6. DNWILLIAMS

DNWILLIAMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm waiting to hear from the NAS supplier to see if it can support twonkyvision, I hope it can becasue it looks like a really useful idea. Thanks for advice

7. hinesle

hinesle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TwonkiVision UPnp server will work quite happily on a Linksys NSLU2. You will however require a Streaming device that supports UPNP which there are plenty around e.g Roku, linksys philips streamium etc