• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Network media streamer for music and video?

DannyBoy73

Established Member
Hi,

Is there any streamers out there that do music (FLAC), video (inc .iso's) and also HD material (inc blu-ray images)??

Oh that also have the ability to control music playback without having to have the TV on?

Cheers

rhubarbe

Prominent Member
In order to do the latter you'd need one with a fairly big VFD. The TVix models have a VFD but I wouldn't like to have to rely upon it to control or browse music directories.

DannyBoy73

Established Member
cheers matey :thumbsup:

Ceejayav

Established Member
Hi,

Is there any streamers out there that do music (FLAC), video (inc .iso's) and also HD material (inc blu-ray images)??

Oh that also have the ability to control music playback without having to have the TV on?

Cheers

I wanted this but couldn't do it in one box. I make the assumption that if you are playing FLAC through a decent-looking audio setup that you care about the audio quality - in which case I think you are asking for too much if you want the video and audio in one unit.

I ended up going for two devices - a Slimdevices unit for audio - which plays FLAC and has a VFD for playing music without the TV - and an EVA8000 for video.

Good luck...

DannyBoy73

Established Member
I wanted this but couldn't do it in one box. I make the assumption that if you are playing FLAC through a decent-looking audio setup that you care about the audio quality - in which case I think you are asking for too much if you want the video and audio in one unit.

I ended up going for two devices - a Slimdevices unit for audio - which plays FLAC and has a VFD for playing music without the TV - and an EVA8000 for video.

Good luck...

Yeah startingg to get the impression. Which Slimdevice unit have u got?

I'm liking the look of the Transporter but want to use my own DAC. I'm not sure if the Transporter is that much better than SqueezeBox if the DAC isn't being used??

Cheers

rhubarbe

Prominent Member
My gut reaction would be that it may be but not to the extent of the price differential.

I use a Sonos www.sonos.com . The controller that you get with the Sonos has a 3.5" LCD screen - my wife loves it - and the streamer - ZP80 - can be used with your own DAC. I currently use a Cyrus DAC XP with mine. :thumbsup:

Ceejayav

Established Member
Yeah startingg to get the impression. Which Slimdevice unit have u got?

I'm liking the look of the Transporter but want to use my own DAC. I'm not sure if the Transporter is that much better than SqueezeBox if the DAC isn't being used??

Cheers

I have 2 Squeezeboxes and a Transporter.

Whether the Transporter is worth the money if you are using a DAC depends on the DAC. Most DACs are to some extent affected by jitter on the input (remember that the digital out of any of these players isn't purely in the digital domain), and the Transporter is significantly better than the Squeezebox in this respect (not that the SB is bad!). On the other hand if you have a DAC which is totally immune to jitter (there aren't many!) then there will be no difference.

IMHO the transporter DAC is outstandingly good - you may not want to use your own DAC. The SB is pretty good too, though many audiophiles choose to add the DAC of their choice.

HTH

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom