• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Network Locking

josswallace

Standard Member
If I purchase a mobile phone then contract with one of the netwoks for a pay as you go sim card, does any one know whether the T&C's of the network suppliers give them the right to lock my phone to their network once the contract begins.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I assume you mean - you're buying a handest SIM-free, right?

a) I doubt they have any legal right to do so; the handset is yours 100% and they can't lay any claim to it

b) I doubt they have the means to do so.

c) I doubt they have the corporate desire to do so

d) I have done exactly this; Orange have made no attempt to interfere with the operation of my phone.

josswallace

Standard Member
My understanding of the legal side of things is that say you sign a 12 month contract with a "free phone" with say Orange , then from the day the contract is accepted the phone belongs to you although you are contractually obligated to pay the appropriate 12 months line rental. This certainly does not stop Orange locking your phone although I admit it is different circumstances than my original query. Have you tested whether your phone is still unlocked by trying another networks sim card in it.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
As you say - a different situation. In the case of a contract, you obtain the phone from the Network (directly or indirectly) and they can therefore supply it to you in whatever state they choose. Whereas, if the handset is already yours (eg bought SIM-free and unlocked) then, as I say, I doubt they have the right, the will, nor the ability to change it.

To answer your question. Yes, I have tried it. And yes, it's not locked.

A

ashhussain1989

from my knowledge i have not known for this to happen but i am 99.9% sure they cant but that 0.1% im not sure bacause there could be some law that i dont know about, ash

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom