Network issues so new router - advice?

Hi guys,

I currently have a speedtouch 576 router running 2mps AOL service. The router shows the speed as a 2mb connection, but i never achioeve anything more than 1mb. I have called BT and AOL who have confirmed my line is 2mb, its actually capable of 8mb.

so, as well as that, i cant get any streaming to work, either on the xbox 360 or the ps3, and I have concluded that perhaps my 2 year old router is to blame. i have played with the settings to no avail. I use a 54g Belkin usb adapter on the pc

so, a new router it is, and PC world have two that seem OK for what i need, with the added benefit or coming with an adapter. which one do you guys think i should go for?

NETGEAR
DGB111GUK
WIRELESS 54MBPS MODEM ROUTER & USB ADAPTER
£59.99

or

D-LINK
DSL-924
WIRELESS MODEM ROUTER & USB ADAPTER
£49.99

i want tyo basically share my videos/pics etc on vista on the xbox 360 through media center, and hopefully do some media sharing on the ps3 too. also i want to play xbox live and psn games.

Thanks guys

Hi - thanks for taking the time to reply

it says this, i have no idea what it means!:-

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user 01452xxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

983 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 172.xxx.68.xxx, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and is running on Windows NT 6.0.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.

Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's helpdesk.

whitebeard

Standard Member
Hi - thanks for taking the time to reply

it says this, i have no idea what it means!:-

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user 01452xxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

983 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 172.xxx.68.xxx, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and is running on Windows NT 6.0.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.

Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's helpdesk.
That doesn't look like the output from http://speedtester.bt.com, it's certainly very different from what I get. Are you logged into your router with a BT test account?

My output from the results page looks like this:-

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 832 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6560 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4633 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

i followed your link and clicked on go once my telephone number is entered... its all jazz to me. I think i am going tom buy a new router, see if that fixes my issues as mine is a little old now and my usb adapter thing is a belkin and truly unreliable

sore napper

Novice Member
I have a Speedtouch 576 and had an AOL 2MB Connection.

I've never seen speeds better than 997 kbps with AOL 2MB. AOL see 997 kbps as a good speed for a 2MB connection and alot of people are complaining about this issue, but there is nothing that you can do about it.

The results that you got from speedtester.bt are correct for your line. The more detailed results that someone else is showing is only available to people on an 8MB connection.

I would say that the reason that you are not having much luck gaming is down to the slow speeds and a poor ping from AOL.

My line is set at 7000 kbps and I normally hit 6500 kbps with my Speedtouch 576 router.

The best advice that I could give is to leave AOL if you can.

Hi - thanks for taking the time to reply, I am relieve to know perhaps the line is 'normal' for AOL. I am reluctant to leave AOL as i have a few emails addresses with them and my wife finds them easy to use.

my gaming online is OK, playing on live is normally grand. playing friends is an issue sometimes.

my biggest problem is the fact i seem unable to stream stuff from my vista premium pc and my xbox 360 and/or ps3 - I am wondering if this is perhaps an issue with the router or the wireless adapter, so am hoping that a new router/adapter will fix my woes

sore napper

Novice Member
You should also test your speeds at different times of the day.

AOL enjoy capping lines at peak times. You should test you speed now and take note of it and then test again at 7pm to see if there is any difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom