Network Issue with Panasonic Cloud Services for LCD TV with Firefox OS

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by mcav, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Fatwendy

Fatwendy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unbelievable-reset everything on my new Panasonic because that's what their website suggests but then stumble across 2 threads like this saying its Panasonic servers that cause the problem - and that's the only explanation that makes sense. Absolutely fuming that their cloud service decides if I can access Netflix and wuaki etc.........they better sort these servers out soon as it never happened on my Samsung.

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,084
    hmmmm as somebody looking to potentially buy the new DX902B LED TV this thread is rather worrying I must say, I see there haven't been any posts for a while so has it been stable recently or is this still an ongoing issue? Ridiculous that you have to go via Panasonic servers to access Netflix etc and doesn't sit well with me so something I need to seriously think about in the next few days....

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  3. aido

aido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    Bit of info for you all - definitely a problem connecting home to Panasonic - whenever you try and launch an app from Firefox OS it tries to connect to a specific server which is currently down - https://mhc-xpana-eu.myhomescreen.tv / 81.93.189.220

Single point of failure right there affecting all the Firefox OS TVs - not sure if someone like @Steve Withers could feed this back to Panasonic please as at least it would have more chance of getting to the right person than me logging it with the Panasonic helpdesk

It's easy for them to replicate - just block access to 81.93.189.220 on tcp/443 (https) and the TV will fall into dumbo mode instantly.

..:: Edit ::..
    Now it's up and running you can see it also connects through other DNS aliases to the same server
    https://mhc-xpana-eu.myhomescreen.tv
    https://mhc-ajax-eu.myhomescreen.tv
    https://mhc-sec-eu.myhomescreen.tv

The actual app requests appear to go through https://mhc-sec-eu.myhomescreen.tv and then a client SSL certificate is sent from the TV to authenticate to the Panasonic servers - nice to see it secure but probably not so clever the way it stops working when their server falls over and you have a rather dumb TV.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  4. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes - Panasonic's cloud servers are down yet again. No amazon prime, no netflix, no youtube.

5. aido

aido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    It's responding again but giving 404 (page not found errors) so at least you get the error quicker from the home page.

6. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    BTW - Just sent panasonic a fairly pointed message, noting that the failure of their cloud services is rendering their TV not fit for purpose. They have no reason to block access due to server failure - they need to just suck it up and let the traffic through upon cloud server failure.

7. aido

aido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    You'd have hoped they have a large server farm behind load balancers - saying that this could be a PC sat under someone's desk and the cleaner just unplugged it to do the hoovering ;)

They need to implement a local caching mechanism where if the site isn't available it just launches the last known good version.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Indeed. The thing is, this is far from the first time. They know there is a problem. Nothing has changed here.

9. bottleandahalf

bottleandahalf
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My youtube is working now. Still no Netflix though

Not working sorry, I was watching it through Firefox OS

10. aido

aido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    Maybe now we've got the specific server details it will help someone over here point fingers - you'd hope they already knew but someone should amend the firmware to say that there's a specific server problem rather than leaving customers to reset everything without realising what the root cause is :)

11. PowerShot

PowerShot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So this is nice, the problem back after this short times, using netflix and all other apps is down again. No warning, just that you need to be connected to internet to run apps, when you really are connected. Click connect and the tv just say you are connected, just great! People that do not know use their hole days just because they think somethings broken, reset their tv, writing, telephone. So there it is, this Panasonic cloud services server that is down again, and with no information to their customers.

We have to live up to Panasonics great knowledge in running huge services servers and to keep them updated, or we cant use anything on this tv. To bad Panasonic is not great in telling you, and their not working on another fix. How many fall do Panasonic need before they have to understand that there is going to fall again and hit hard.

If you listen to me Panasonic! Many game developers have tried this, you have to be connected to play, and they have got a massive criticism, and in such grade that big company have turned in their policy. Some don't and loose, some work hard to inform their customers. But not Panasonic. It's to bad, for you had a good product, good picture.

My experiences with this tv started good, and picture was nice, and my main choose. But my experiences with this tv will decide how I will choose my next tv. I regret, and sometimes think of selling this new tv.

Why is there no spotify yet? It could not be because the tv is a smart tv.

My advice to other, purchase something other than Panasonic. I will edit this if Panasonic do something revolutionary about this Panasonic Cloud Services servers. Next tv will be Sony, and had I read this before my purchase, I would never had this tv!

12. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Spent two hours trying to sort this out thinking it was something wrong my end,I then come on here and find its panasonics end,I nearly did a reset of the tv glad i didn't now.

13. brantome

brantome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    In the middle of binge watching House of Cards too!
    They really need to implement a bypass when their service is down. Where did we agree to this tracking of our usage?

14. RUMBELOWS91

RUMBELOWS91
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank God I found this thread! Been driving myself mad! Unfortunately I have done a factory reset though.

15. kuroblack350

kuroblack350
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all - can't believe I've found this thread, and what seems to be the problem with my Panasonic :)

Although it was working fine yesterday, as with a few others, today nothing works. I get the 'you need to be connected to the internet' message, so ok, I connect - it connects fine but then no apps work, they won't fire up and 10 seconds of waiting brings up the 'you need to be connected to the internet' dialogue box!!!

So I reset my router and TV before finding this thread, bit of a pain.

Here's what my router says is happening:

1 2016-03-07 20:39:06 DHCPD Notice Send ACK to 192.168.1.100
    2 2016-03-07 20:39:05 DHCPD Notice Recv REQUEST from 20:C6:EB:AF:CF:16
    3 2016-03-07 20:39:05 DHCPD Notice Send OFFER with ip 192.168.1.100
    4 2016-03-07 20:39:05 DHCPD Notice Recv DISCOVER from 20:C6:EB:AF:CF:16
    5 2016-03-07 20:39:05 DHCPD Notice Recv RELEASE from 20:C6:EB:AF:CF:16

CF16 is the Panasonic by the way - it's done this pattern all evening since 6pm ish

Just for info, every other device in the house works fine, no issues - even would you believe our old Panasonic - fires up straight away. (it's probably 4/5 years old)

Quick Edit: As others have said - just tried the On Demand apps and they work fine, it's just the 'marketplace' stuff, Netflix and Amazon Prime etc

16. kuroblack350

kuroblack350
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is there a twitter account for Panasonic support does anyone know..?

17. aido

aido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    I've just messaged Panasonic UK on Facebook and @PanasonicUK on Twitter to see what they say and I sent them the server that's gone tits up too :)

18. inselaffe

inselaffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    To the posters providing the technical info regarding servers and IP addresses, thanks for taking the time.

Spent over an hour restarting TV and router, setting up 'guest' wireless network, and so on - had just reached the stage of contemplating a factory reset when I thought I'd give it one more search online.

I had no idea about this reliance on Panasonic network; has anyone heard of anyone who's looked into getting around this?

We love this TV in our house, but this seems like an unbelievable weak point in its capability.

I'm off to pester @PanasonicUK on Twitter!

19. panasomnia

panasomnia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was watching House of Cards too.... and thought I knackered my network so I did a factory reset.... Might return the tv now as I only found out about this issue now. Not happy at all.

20. PowerShot

PowerShot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Panasonic UK (@PanasonicUK) on Twitter

Panasonic UK

One thing I cant believe, is how often this happens. I have not had this tv many months, but experienced this several times already.

How many down times is accepted for a year, and when it's not really needed, but just for Panasonics data mining? They cant close down all services just because of Panasonic mining services goes down. They have to have another solution to this problem, my is that next time I purchase another tv.

21. PowerShot

PowerShot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    There is really no way around, and you will meet this several times a year, if Panasonic do not choose another solution than closing down all services when their own mining services goes down.

22. kuroblack350

kuroblack350
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's certainly put me off - I don't mind a little problem solving, but when I think about the last 12 months with this TV, it's had a few network issues. Only recently, we've hard wired it to the router because the wireless was pitiful - one minute it was finding everything on the street, the next, nothing!

Shame really, as the set itself is sublime - when it's working, it's a brilliant bit of kit.

23. Chop_Suey

Chop_Suey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    That seems an annoyance, that the apps are behind a Panasonic server.

Not that it is going to happen, but what would happen if Panasonic went out of business? Would the TV's be stuck without usable apps, if the servers were closed down?

24. Eddy555

Eddy555
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,741
    For a company like a Panasonic, I'm really not impressed with the quality of their cloud services. So many times we have issues and I don't see why the apps have too do anything with Panasonic cloud services anyway. Why can't the apps just connect to the services directly?

25. vimvq1987

vimvq1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    @Eddy555: they want to watch us, to see what we watch, it's some form of collecting data.
    This is just a shame. My TV is kinda useless now, no Netflix, no Youtube. Shame on you, Panasonic, and shame on your abysmal cloud services.

26. Certop

Certop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What a disgrace. Worked all day on the problem only to discover its their own servers. I fired of a complaint on their Facebook and official website and advice everyone else experiencing this problem to do so as well.

27. Musice

Musice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's just great. All day long hardworking just to arrive home to watch some netflix and find the f'ing servers down. And before looking here I tried everything, even restored the TV to default settings. I'm very very angry.

28. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree, this is utterly unacceptable. Funny thing though, I don't see any posts on Panasonic's Twitter or Facebook pages about this. Has anyone tried calling their contact centre? Would be good if BBC Radio 4 programme You And Yours could highlight the problem to embarrass Panasonic into doing something.

29. philhjobim

philhjobim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not good is it. Being IT savvy it didnt take me long it figure out the problem must be out there and find the thread, but for the other 99% of standard users this is very poor. Its not acceptable that Netflix works on my PC but not on the TV with no indication from the TV that its Panasonic servers that are at fault. Its lazy programming to not even give clear messages. There is also no justification for the app not to fall back to direct connection to Netflix etc if the panasonic link is not available. Even worse practice is the lack of a status indication. All services depend on a server should have a server status page. I have messaged Panasonic on Facebook asking them to notify me where I can check the server status on which my TV functioning appears to depend. Its just poor application code and terrible customer service.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  30. brantome

brantome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Exactly my sentiments. A simple 'server down' message would be better rather than an entirely misleading network connection error which is at best disingenuous if not downright deceitful. Makes you wonder what else they're up to...