network help please....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dgc, Jul 29, 2004.

1. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My wireless router died on me yesterday (a d-link - about 18 months old) so I'm looking to replace.

Current set up involves a d-link adsl modem feeding into the wireless router which in turn feeds two pc's( one a htpc) via wire and provides access to wireless centrino laptop.

The two pc's have onboard gig lan which is not currently used.
    The laptop is b not g.

I've been looking for a replacement for the router and there don't seem to be any out there yet that include gig lan. It may be overkill but I'd quite like to take advantage of this feature (curiosity value more than anything else at this stage) , especially as I envisage a large capacity media server being introduced into the equation in next 6 months.

My question is:

Is it possible to use a basic gig switch (eg. Netgear GS105) to allow the LAN to operate at gig speed yet still allow internet access/firewall/wireless facilities. Would a separate wireless router still funtion properly if simply connected to the switch rather than having the computers connected directly to it. Doesn't seem right somehow.

Please enlighten me.

Need to make purchase soon as wireless access via laptop is needed back quickly.

2. HarshKarma

HarshKarma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Charlie,

I currently have a similar system to this, except I have a 10/100 switch not a gigabit one. I currently have Westel ADSL Modem, Belkin WAP and 2 pc's plugged into a Netgear 8 port 10/100 switch and everything works as it should - wireless access to the internet from xbox and mac laptop etc.

Few things to be aware of:

1) You will need a firewall (for safety) - mine's built-in to the adsl modem. Not sure about d-link but it's probably the same.

2) You may (will?) need to set the gateway IP address for your comps to the IP of the adsl modem in order to access the internet. (I definately set up the gateway ip for the wired pc's & xbox not sure if I did for my sister's laptop)

3) Can't tell whether the Netgear GS105 has an 'uplink' toggle (it should do). If not you'll need a crossover cable for the adsl modem.

Hope that helps

Edward

3. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Charlie
    Before you start spending money have you checked the D-Link router's power supply. Mine died after 12 months. I checked the Power supply with a meter without it plugged in and it apeared to be okay (5v) but when I checked it again with it plugged in to the router the voltage was down to 2V. I replaced it with a spare unit and I'm now up and running again. The website says the router has a three year guarantee whilst the PSU is one year! Although this may be for the US market only

4. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Edward

Thanks for the input.

My firewall is in the defunct router - don't think there is one in the modem. Seems like adding a simple switch would leave me reliant on software only firewall on the pc.

As I understand it a router automatically gives each pc an individual address so no need to worry about making sure the pcs all have same address? I may be confusing myself there but I suspect I'm better off with a router unless someone can clarify?

BBD

I don't think it's the power supply as I checked it by plugging it into the modem and it fired that up ok.
    Anyway it seems like a good excuse for upgrading - if only I can figure out what I need.
    If simply a question of waiting for gig routers to come on the market I might make do with 10/100 for now.

5. HarshKarma

HarshKarma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Charlie,

firewall on the (broken) router - OK no probs :)

The setup would be slightly different. Rather than connect everything into the switch, do the following:

Connect ADSL modem to (new) wireless router.
    Connect wireless router to gigbit switch.
    Connect wired pc's to gigabit switch.

It's basically the same as your existing setup except rather than pluging the pc's to the router you plug them into the switch which is then plugged into the router.

Everything should work OK and the firewall on the router will protect the computers on the network. If you choose a different wireless router than your current (broken) one just make sure it has a firewall and DHCP builtin. The firewall will protect your network and DHCP will auto-assign IP addresses to your computers.

Hope this helps,

Edward

6. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the help

Think I might try the Netgear WGT634U (can take an external usb hard drive for instant network storage) and the GS105.
    Might also add a PS121 print server so I don't need to keep my office pc on constantly to access the printer.

Now for some price research...