Network help...espec printing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    We've just moved to new facility. Melanie is getting a nice new Imac for her work and a laser printer that can do double side printing (she prints alot of stuff).

Here;s the thing though. Convergent uses PC's. We have an 811.G wireless router turning up today for the broadband that goes in tomorrow. Convergent is going to want to share that laser printer (ideally). I don't really want to go and buy another printer if I don't have to. Can someone tell me whether it's possible to use a printer on a network and make it accessible to MAC and PC users or am I asking for impossible?

Any/all advice and help appreciated...

Gordon

2. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yes, but you need to be running the latest version of OSX... I think the simplest way is to connect the printer to the PC and share it across the network, obviously the PC needs to be on for the MAC to access the printer...

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
  4. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I don't drink :D ... I think it's OSX 10.3 and later, but if it's a new MAC you'll be fine (having said that, I've never tried it :suicide: )...

5. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    I may be way off here, but if the printer has Ethernet and usb connections, is the following possible?

USB connection to the mac.

Ethernet connection to a router to share the printer to the wireless PC's

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    If the printer has a built-in print server or you add an external print server, then you should be able to access it from the MAC assuming the correct drivers... I think my first suggestion is the simplest, however I'm sure there are alternatives...

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    SimonO is right that his solution of using (effectively) the PC as a print server is the cheapest/easiest solution.

Of course if you add a network card, you could use it as a networkable solution, but something would need to be the print server unless you add a box of tricks, which then becomes cost prohibative (you can pick up a laser for about £100 - ebuyer have one for £90 inc. vat)

8. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    A coblination© of ideas above...what printer is it and what is the router? If printer has an RJ45 ethernet socket and the router is one of those 4 port ethernet jobbies as well then surely just plug the printer into a spare port on the router and configure tcpip accordingly on all devices, that way it does not matter what is left on etc. Thats what I do and works a treat for all on the network. Alternatively if printer is not network capable attach printer via parallel cable to print server and then attach print server to router...

Dave

9. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Gordon

easiest way is to get an Airport Express wireless unit - the one that streams audio to your hifi ... there is a usb and an eythernet connection on the unit that you canhookup a printer to and use the built-in printer share facility of the Airport express ... that way the PC doesn't need to be on for Mel to use the printer from the mac ... and vice versa of course !!

Let me know if you want more info ...

Jon

10. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    that sounds good...must learn more about macs!... :)

11. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    If the printer does have a network card built in this is the easiest IMHO. Most decent lasers from the likes of HP, Canon, etc are Mac/PC compatible. I have an old Epson laser plugged into a router that is shared by Macs running OS9 and X plus a Windows box running NT. All I needed was to download the appropriate drivers and hey presto... up and running.

the laser could be plugged straight into the wireless hub and accessed from the iMac, assuming it has a Wireless network card fitted, but I'm not too hot on mixed wireless networking. The router will proabably have Mac installation software on it to connect to the router. I did a friend of mines connection at the weekend - A BT wireless router to an iBook laptop and an ancient OS9 based iMac. No problem at all.

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    OK: The Imac will be in one location using wireless access to the broadband router which will be in a seperate location. The router is wireless only and stands in remote location from Melanie's office and Convergent Office. It's perfectly possble to have the Convergent DESKTOP on all the time. It will have a wirless card to access the router. The printer will be attached to it. There will be two other laptops wirelessly connceted to the network in my own office.

I think from what everyone is saying I should attach the printer to the main PC and enable orinter sharing? Then all PC/MAC's on network should hopefully be able to use it?

Printer is not bought yet. It will be an HP laserjet that is capable of printing both sides of a page. Guessing around £250-300.

Gordon
    p.s. thanks for all the help so far. I am new to Mac's.

13. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,718
    yep, if the printer is networked then as far as Windows is concerned, it (the printer driver) is just printing to an IP address.. You install the printer driver on each PC, and print to a TCP/IP port, rather than LPT1/USB etc... I'm guessing MAC network printing will work in exactly the same way?

EDIT: ignore.... remote router scuppers that approach completely.

14. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
  15. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,107
    I'd attach the printer to the network directly, rather than to any PC. Simple reason, it means that the PC attached to the printer must be turned all the time!

Attaching it to the network means that any PC can use it, no matter if any other PC is turned on. If the printer is a HP, just use a JetDirect card and give an IP. Then attach all the PC's and the imac to it, as a shared printer.

16. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64