Network Hard Drive + 360

Combatcolin

Standard Member
Is it possible for you to connect a networked HD to a 360 and watch films etc from it?

Would you need your PC switched on? or is WMP 11 required for everything.

Everything connected via normal ethernet router setup.

Indiana Jones

The computer would need to be on to stream the contents to your 360.

Tone Loc

The PC does not need to be on to see a NAS drive on the 360, just search for PCs and it should be listed. This was done using QNaps NAS enclosure which already has twonky vision installed, this worked fine for music. Not sure about video as i use the media centre extender with the PC on for this.

Tony.

Ben6279

I saw a WD external drive advertised on ebay last night as being modified to do just this. It's also black with a green ring as standard, canny eh!

Do a search for xbox 360 elite and it comes up as a result.

Tone Loc

I presume the modification was to allow a UPnP Media servia to be installed, which allows it to be seen by the Xbox or any other media type extender. If you check the specs of the NAS enclosure/drive and it has this feature then there is no probs about the xbox seeing it without the need for the PC being on.

Tony.

Tone Loc

The LaCie drive you linked to already has the Twonkyvision software pre installed, no need to mod anything. See twonkyvisions site for info on what devices its pre installed on.

If streaming movies are a big thing for you i'd check on the forum what the score is. From what i remember didn't microsoft make it that if you connect to a PC (desktop/NAS etc) you can have music and pictures but if you want movies too you have to connect the xbox as a media extender to XP MCE or Vista??? Maybe completely wrong about that but worth checking.

Tony.

Combatcolin

Standard Member
Thanks, i 'll have a gander elsewhere as well.

Although the Elite's HD will store loads of game demos, HD content will soon kill it and i quite like the idea of using a Network Hard Drive for extra storage.

Do hope MS will up there film trailers to the same high level of excellent content as Apples.

Combatcolin

Standard Member
I still havn't bothered to move my 360 downstairs, GF hogs main set and its hard to play Halo 3 when East bloody Enders is on.

Anyway, occured to me the other day, that a networked Hard Drive would not be protected by a Firewall when my PC is switched off., would i need to buy a new router with a firewall built in?

Thanks all.

blisteringblue

If streaming movies are a big thing for you i'd check on the forum what the score is. From what i remember didn't microsoft make it that if you connect to a PC (desktop/NAS etc) you can have music and pictures but if you want movies too you have to connect the xbox as a media extender to XP MCE or Vista??? Maybe completely wrong about that but worth checking.

Not the case with mine, you just connect directly from the dashboard to your device if you want, I have no computer on while I do this. Xbox in my case just sees the Twonky Media Server and it streams music, movies and pictures.

Anyway, occured to me the other day, that a networked Hard Drive would not be protected by a Firewall when my PC is switched off., would i need to buy a new router with a firewall built in?

What sort of router do you have? Most ADSL modem routers have an automatic built in firewall?

I have a Buffalo Linkstation Pro network hard disk and it works perfectly with the 360. I had to modify it's firmware slightly to get Twonky Media server on, but it was quite easy. Twonky Server is very straight forward to setup. Once running the 360 automatically finds it from the dashboard when you view videos, music or pictures !! Works so well in fact I have finally retired my old modded Xbox with XBMC to the loft !! Much to the delight of Mrs.Blue as the old black brick has been removed from my TV Rack :thumbsup:

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Surely the easiest solution will be to have an external / networked drive connected up to the Xbox 360's USB?

Not too knowledgable of networked drives but I understand you can crudely network using USB... might work?

blisteringblue

Surely the easiest solution will be to have an external / networked drive connected up to the Xbox 360's USB?

Not too knowledgable of networked drives but I understand you can crudely network using USB... might work?

This does work too and is probably the easiest way, in my case I have a home office in the loft where I already have my NAS working instead of a server and I used to stream all my media to my old xbox from there to the lounge via powerplugs (ethernet over power).

Using Twonky keeps things all neat and tidy with everything in the loft still.

Combatcolin

Standard Member
I'm on Virgin/NTL, sold my old Linksys to a friend as wasn't using it but need a new router since buying my 360.

Thought about simply buying an external HD and formatting it to FAT32, but pain to add/sort content etc. - moving it upstairs and down all the time.

No rush at the moment, but would like something running in the new year.

Thanks again for the reply's everyone.

TRIXXY DIXXY

I was wondering if this was possible :

I have a wireless router, xbox360 and PC.

My xbox is right next to the router and is connected by an ethernet cable. My PC is in another room and connects wirelessly.

If I had a networked drive like :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-500GB-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B000MSVNM4
Could I have it connected to my router by an ethernet cable to allow my PC to use the harddrive wirelessly and at the same time have a USB cable going directly from the external harddrive to my Xbox360?

Hope someone knows as if it does work I'll be buying myself a networked harddrive in the January sales! :D

Combatcolin

Standard Member
No, well i think no.

You can only connect a device via one connection type at a time.

For example, i have a 500GB Lacie Interface, Firewire 400 + 800 and also USB2.

I connect via Firewire 400.

On the plus side, in order to connect to the 360 and also your PC, a Networked Drive needs only to be connected to your router by normal ethernet, quick and easy.

TRIXXY DIXXY

No, well i think no.

You can only connect a device via one connection type at a time.

For example, i have a 500GB Lacie Interface, Firewire 400 + 800 and also USB2.

I connect via Firewire 400.

On the plus side, in order to connect to the 360 and also your PC, a Networked Drive needs only to be connected to your router by normal ethernet, quick and easy.

Cheers, for that. I suppose like you say, there'd be no point having a usb cable going from the networked harddrive to the xbox as they would be able to communicate via the ethernet connection anyways :)

Combatcolin

Standard Member
USB 2 would be a lot faster than normal Ethernet, but ethernet is so damn easy to network.

At least i don't think the 360 has 1000 BT ethernet, pretty certain it has the older 100BT.

Niggy

Cheers, for that. I suppose like you say, there'd be no point having a usb cable going from the networked harddrive to the xbox as they would be able to communicate via the ethernet connection anyways :)

Thats right, you wouldnt need to have it connected twice. As has been said USB is faster but I have had no difficulties with streaming music or video from the NAS (Maxtor with twonky installed) to the 'box using my network. For me it is perfect because I can access any of my files via my laptop, computer or 360 without any swapping of cables. Also dont have to have PC on or use WMP.

Pezza

Question from me... I'm stuck with the lowly 20gb HD in my 360, and I'm loathe to spend all that money on the 120gb version. Is there any way to connect a hard disk such that you can save files from XBLMarketplace onto it? I assume (perhaps wrongly?) that the NAS with TwonkyVision option only goes one way? Or does the 360 still see it as a storage device? If that's not an option does plugging in an external drive via USB allow you to save files?

Thanks!

Kimberson

Distinguished Member
i wouldnt buy that one, have you seen the reviews for it on there. They all slate it

Combatcolin

Standard Member
Question from me... I'm stuck with the lowly 20gb HD in my 360, and I'm loathe to spend all that money on the 120gb version. Is there any way to connect a hard disk such that you can save files from XBLMarketplace onto it? I assume (perhaps wrongly?) that the NAS with TwonkyVision option only goes one way? Or does the 360 still see it as a storage device? If that's not an option does plugging in an external drive via USB allow you to save files?

Thanks!

2 of my friends sold there 20Gb 360's and bought the 120Gb version.

Just a pain to transfer games/license across.

Going back to media playback, anyone download films to thee PC and then play them back on their 360 via a USB stick?

Quick and easy solution to get by with until a Networked drive.

eaglemmoomin

Is it possible for you to connect a networked HD to a 360 and watch films etc from it?

Would you need your PC switched on? or is WMP 11 required for everything.

Everything connected via normal ethernet router setup.

Totally possible and great.
Best thing is the PC can stay off.
You would need a lan configuration with a router for it to work!!!

Most NASs are running linux so if you can access to the box's command line you can add any sw etc that you require ie UPNP media server, or a server for itunes etc.
However Buffallo LiveStation is probably the best (and cheapest) bet unless you are a bit techy and know how to muck about with Linux (or find instructions!). QNAP NASs are good also for single and dual enclosures. DLink do a good double enclosure NAS also but it requires a bit of under the hood fiddling.

TRIXXY DIXXY

i wouldnt buy that one, have you seen the reviews for it on there. They all slate it

lol, yup just read the reviews, I shan't be buying that model! :eek:

Any recommendations on a networked harddrive anyone? I'm looking for a 500GB one, also what's the benefits of having twonky installed on it?

I do have an old PC laid around doing nothing, I've heard that it would be possible to use this as a NAS device, although if its going to be turned on all the time its going to be using quite a bit of power.

eaglemmoomin

lol, yup just read the reviews, I shan't be buying that model! :eek:

Any recommendations on a networked harddrive anyone? I'm looking for a 500GB one, also what's the benefits of having twonky installed on it?

I do have an old PC laid around doing nothing, I've heard that it would be possible to use this as a NAS device, although if its going to be turned on all the time its going to be using quite a bit of power.

Have a look on http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/85/93/

I've got a DLink-323 with a single 500Gb drive in it currently (it was the best I could find on a cost/performance benefit). I'll sling another 500Gb drive in at some point probably. A NAS with twonky on it will allow you to stream your media to any upnp compatible device (ie 360, ps3 (if the bloody thing would work properly:thumbsdow), xbox 1 running XBMC, any number of other available devices).

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
THX launches Onyx MQA supporting DAC/Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom