Network error problems with PS3 & TVersity Media Server

DrGekko

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Having installed TVersity on my PC and streaming PC videos successfully for last few months, for some reason I'm experiencing network errors now - and TVersity seems to be intermittent in terms of connection too.

Any ideas what I should do please? How is PS3 Media Server in comparison? I'm using the PS3 to stream home movies from my PC.

Any advice much appreciated.

Try Serviio or Mezzmo instead those are relatively trouble free DLNA servers.

+1 for Serviio, it literally is setup and forget!!!

Before rushing into trying different DLNA server software, it might be worth trying to diagnose why your system is now experiencing problems when previously it seemed to be working fine.

So, a number of questions :
(1) What (if anything) has changed since it was working. Any new versions of software ? Any new devices on the network ? Are you using a different encoding on the videos ?
(2) How are your PC and PS3 connected ? Are they both wired ? Is there a wireless link ? Are homeplugs involved ?

Before rushing into trying different DLNA server software, it might be worth trying to diagnose why your system is now experiencing problems when previously it seemed to be working fine.

So, a number of questions :
(1) What (if anything) has changed since it was working. Any new versions of software ? Any new devices on the network ? Are you using a different encoding on the videos ?
(2) How are your PC and PS3 connected ? Are they both wired ? Is there a wireless link ? Are homeplugs involved ?

I hate PCs... or anything that doesn't work by simply "plug & play" - so admittedly, I've been lazy to try and find out the cause - I'd much rather use something else that "works".

But to consider your points, nothing has changed regarding (1) and the PS3 is hard-wired to my router via cat6 ethernet cable, as is the PC. What's a "homeplug"??

I hate PCs... or anything that doesn't work by simply "plug & play" - so admittedly, I've been lazy to try and find out the cause - I'd much rather use something else that "works".

I know what you mean, but if you have changed nothing from a system that used to work OK, it's likely not the DLNA server software that's the problem. More likely is something that's affecting your network connectivity - in which case, using a different DLNA server won't help.

But to consider your points, nothing has changed regarding (1) and the PS3 is hard-wired to my router via cat6 ethernet cable, as is the PC. What's a "homeplug"??

Homeplugs (also known as Powerline adapters) are Ethernet over mains devices. Often used when a direct wired connection is not possible.

What kind of problems are you seeing ? Is it that the PS3 won't connect to the PC? Can you start playing a video, but playback stutters or stops ?

Having installed Serviio, all seems to be working fine now, except 1 video file - "unsupported format" error message appears on PS3 - this used to play fine with TVersity... see! That's why I hate PCs!!! Initially no files were recognised so I had to go to sharing options and made sure everything was shared to "everyone" - how do you avoid the "unsupported format" errors? All play fine on my pc using windows media player.

As for the transcoding setting - this only allows me to select one folder.

Also, I'm not using any homeplugs - everything is wired straight to the router via cat 6.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom