Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Network DVD players - what are the options / worth it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Luc, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having just sold my H/K DVD25 (thanks common!), I'm looking to upgrade, probably to a Momitsu v880N, but having been told about the build quality issues, I'm starting to re-think it (I'm a quality whore). This is to be connected to a Panny 5 series via component.

Are there any current (ie, players that are available NOW) network players (hard drive not essential) which offer the following;
    - DivX/Xvid/WMV9 playback
    - PAL/NTSC prog scan via component
    - HDMI (not essential)
    - Decent build quality (remote is unimportant, i've got a Pronto)

Or, are network players still in their infancy? Are the benefits of not having to burn everything to CD/DVD outweighed by their lack of maturity? Would a decent quality standard DVD player that handles DivX/Xvid be a better option?

I'm not looking for a PVR, the ability to stream internet radio, or any other superfluious gubbins, and HTPC is a little out of my budget (If I were going that route, I'd go MacMini), so let's not go down that route just yet.

Any opinions / thoughts?

2. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone heard anything about the 'QUARTEK WHD500-V9 WiFi DVD/DivX player' ? Pixmania have it listed for the beginning of July, and it looks like exactly what I want, but it seems like only the europeans have heard of it.

3. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The V880N has no build quality issues! The older model V880 had some issues, but I've heard or seen NO quality issues with the DX or N series.

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have not seen any build quality issues with our V880N at all, it's a very neat and tidy unit, an heavier than our ancient Pioneer 525 player by quite a margin yet is only half the height.

Only problem i've had/got with the V880N is the inability to play R1 Extreme Edition of Blade Trinity (some people would think this a good thing :devil: ) but i've copied the Film & DTS audio track to my media server upstairs and streamed it over the network (need a 100mb switch as 10mb hub was getting swamped at times)

Excellent quality (other than network speed causing collisions) so managed to watch it :)

Picture quality is excellent at 1024x768 dot by dot mode via DVI to our 433MXE plasma :thumbsup:

It doesn't play WMV9 files though IIRC, but maybe possible with firmware update??? if ever done

Gary

5. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, so it looks like a toss up between the Momitsu v880n and the QUARTEK WHD500-V9 (when it's released next week - if it is) - the only questions I have when upgrading is "will it be better than what I've just got rid of?". Nealgs - what were you coming from before? Can anyone say how the Momitsu component output compares to my previous H/K dvd25? And has anyone ordered direct from Momitsu.nl before? Ta.

6. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    previously had a Pioneer 525 as mentioned (circa 6-7yrs old) gr8 player, but was having problems playing some of the newer DVD releases etc due to what appeared to be it struggling with hi bit-rate content.

So was looking for something else but not to expensive, originally had the Philips 963sa and Momitsu V880(N) and the Samsungs on my short list.

Went for the V880N as a forum member had one for sale that was only a month or so old, bought directly from momitsu.nl it was to (he had no problems with the purchase IIRC)

Image is much, much better than the 525, and i've also briefly tried the 963sa that Play had on for sale. V880N was miles better pq wise in my opinion, especially with the 720p upscaling it can do over component and DVI.

regards
    Gary

7. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, got hold of a Momitsu v880n yesterday, and inital impressions are good - the network playback is great, picture is good over component, but, (and it's one of those buts that might force a return) the disc access is incredibly noisy. Is/was anyone else's drive noisy to the point of distraction? My HK/dvd25 could just about be heard when changing layer, but the momitsu has a constant whine to it - I can imagine it being very annoying in low level scenes. Does it settle down, or am I destined to house it under a duvet?

8. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not noticed any noise issue with ours. Our 525 was very noisy, but the v880N is nigh on silent and doesn't distract from picture. If anything the blue network activity light causes more distractions due to it being so bright :)

Gary

9. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    No issue with noise with mine either. I suggest you get a replacement.

10. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tell me about it - it's like some kind of beacon for aliens. I'm going to watch The Incredibles tonight, and if it doesn't settle down (might have been the one and only disc that's been in it that was noisy), I'll mail Jan-Hein (top bloke) and see about a replacement. Shipping back to NL might be pricy though...

11. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having sat through a whole film with it, it's one of those annoying sounds that when you hear it, it's all you can hear, but it dissapears into the background sometimes. It's a high pitched whine, like crickets on speed - it might be a subjective thing, and I don't want to kick up a fuss over nothing, but it's about 3x louder than my PS2. Does this sound more like anyone else's, or is it definately dodgy?

12. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    mine too is quite noisey, espeically upon first loading.
    Have not contacted momitsu, as I can just about live with it.

Great PQ and hesitant about losing it for a couple of weeks.

Let me know how you get on.

Sean

13. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Momitsu support are all on holiday for a couple of weeks apparently, so Maarten Streppel has promised me an answer when they get back. I'll update when they do so. Watching Xmen2 last night, it wasn't as noticable, so maybe it's calming down, but I think it's just because I had it turned up to deafening levels.

14. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does that make sense to anyone? Can't think why my H/K dvd25 outputting at 480p would need less data than the v880n at 480p...

Another problem I found is that on a layer change, it will pause for 5 seconds, stutter, then pick up the picture again - takes about 10 seconds overall. Might just be with R1 discs i think - anyone else had similar problems?

15. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The QUARTEK WHD500-V9 now seem to be in stock at several European webshops.

16. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone? Or should I kick my toys out of the pram, get a refund, and try the Quartek?

17. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Does the Quartek upscale standard DVD disks?

18. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Does anyone know if a universal remote can be used to control the Momitsu?

Haven't got the original to re-program another unit.

19. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yes it can.
    I used the original remote to program my Yamaha 757 Universal Remote.
    (the momitsu remote is dreadful)

Try www.remotecentral.com

Any updates on the noisey drive? mine is now really frustrating me. emailed Momitsu.nl support a week ago and not had a reply.

20. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Also been looking at the Quartek. Cant see anything about upscaling DVD through DVI like the Momitsu does very well.

21. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've lived with it for a week and tried to put up with it, but I don't thikn I can anymore. I've mailed support to try and get some answers, so I'll let you know what they come back with.

22. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Try contacting Momitsu at:

support@momitsu.com

I got a reply within a day - which impressed me! :smashin:

Havent noticed any noise from drive,just shocked about the noise it makes when it opens/closes :eek:

23. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Update with my contact with Momitsu.

My new remote arrived this morning, exactly one week after mailing them! hows that for dynamite service :thumbsup:

Have now had opportunity of playing DVDs and Cds and can report that the drive makes very little noise.Need to have my ear about 75mm away from casing to start hearing it. :)

completely satisfied with player - outstanding product :cool:

24. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The noise/layer change issues I had turned out to be a faulty drive - Martijn @ Momitsu shipped me a new one for me to install (save shipping the entire unit back to NL), and a quick 10 minute install later, it's much better. Almost silent now, and much more responsive layer change. Well done Momitsu for sorting me out.

25. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Good to hear you got your problem sorted.

With such a new company in it's "infancy", they're bound to have "teething" problems - but good that they're quick to hand with the "pacifier"

Have now watched all LOTR dvd's and they look totally amazing - I can feel the textures and the scenery just goes on & on. ;)

26. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi Luc,
    I had the same problem with the noisey drive.
    They too sent me a new loader rather than sending the whole unit back.
    Piece of cake to change, and now its alot quieter. Praise to Momitsu.
    They were advertising that the V880N was going to have a Video Input Module available.
    Which would upscale an input source, they have now removed any reference to this from their website.

But it would be nice to see!

27. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unfortunately there isn't anywere on the V880N unit to actually plug this device in without taking a hacksaw to the case, but as you say, it would be nice to have something like that.

Gary

28. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If your machine has a scart socket it could be possible, It's an in/out port!

Would prefer they 'binned' the Video & L,R jacks and made them composite in..

Now that would be good - upscale my PS2,lovely! :)