Network connection

Rob at Loanhead

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently changed my WiFi router. WiFi works ok on my phone, tablet, Sky box and lap top. However when I try to use my PC I get the message "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" What exactly does this mean and how can it be fixed? The old router was a Huawei model but the new one is a TalkTalk. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rob

'Ethernet' is the wired connection. it sounds like your not connected to the WiFi network on your new router yet. Connect first to he new Wifi SSID (network name) from the listed networks then you should be fine.

Assuming that is Win10 try the network troubleshooter - after making sure you are connected either by wifi or cable to the router of course :)

'Ethernet' is the wired connection. it sounds like your not connected to the WiFi network on your new router yet. Connect first to he new Wifi SSID (network name) from the listed networks then you should be fine.
The PC uses Win 10, wen I select the tab Network & Internet and then Show Available Networks, there are none listed! Instead a window pops up in the bottom LH corner with the message : Unidentified network - No Internet. Also included on the pop-up is : Network & internet settings : Change settings, such as making a connection metered.
Normally I would have expected to see a list of previous connections. I hope this makes sense.

Rob

er, sorry I just need to clarify, because of the the terms you've used I think I've made some incorrect assumptions.

So what type of connection is your computer using, a wired (ethernet) or wireless (Wifi)?

Having re-read your post it sounds like - you have changed your WiFi router, but were actually using a wired connection for you PC. Is this correct?

If this is correct, the easiest thing to do is RIGHT click on the network icon in the bottom right that says "no internet access"

Select "open network and internet settings" it will open a page entitled "Status"

Go down the page, near the bottom there are some blue text items you can click on.

Click the one that says Network reset. it will take you to a confirmation page saying you pc will be restarted, click "reset now"

I've tried that without success as it is still saying " No Internet access" The PC is also connected by WiFi. It worked ok on the old router using a Sky SC201 mini wifi connector. I first thought the problem was with that, but after getting a new one there was no change.

I first thought the problem was with that, but after getting a new one there was no change.

Sounds like it could be a bad laptop wifi card. If you plug it in via LAN cable, does it resolve the issue?

Also try update the drivers for the adapter. Sometimes, it can be a poor driver. Otherwise, get a new card

Amazon product ASIN B07ZVYKRW9

The problem is with the desktop PC not the lap top which works ok. As for connecting a cable its not very practicable as the PC is in an upstairs room and the nearest BT socket is in a downstairs cupboard. Any other suggestions?

The problem is with the desktop PC not the lap top which works ok. As for connecting a cable its not very practicable as the PC is in an upstairs room and the nearest BT socket is in a downstairs cupboard. Any other suggestions?
Ok but my point still stands.

YOu need to check that the onboard wifi module for the desktop isn't faulty or if it's a broken OS.

Can you not move the desktop for 5 mins to nearby the router to test it?

This is simple process of elimination.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "adapter" or "wifi module". I wouldn't feel comfortable opening up the PC box, that would sound to me to be a job for a professional. The PC is actually a custom-built unit that my son had made for himself by a local firm a few years ago, and when he upgraded recently, he gave the old one to me. So I don't know how standard it would be. Seemingly when our house was built about 10 years ago there was a fault with the internal phone wiring, which meant that the only socket connected to the external supply was where the BT line comes into a cupboard. Consequently all our phones, wifi etc are connected wirelessly. It would be a struggle to get a fairly large PC and monitor into an already congested area, but if all else fails I might be forced to give it a try.

Need some clarification here.

You say you're connected by a Sky adapter. Is that the only way you've ever connected? That's a device for connecting a Sky box to WiFi, so a little odd. You say the PC is "also" connected to WiFi. So for clarity, does the PC have it's own WiFi adapter? Maybe right-click Start > Device Manager & report what devices you have listed under Network adapters.

If you are indeed using the Sky box as a WiFi adapter, then that connects by ethernet. A problem there might explain why you're getting an ethernet error. First thing to check is that the cable in the green socket of the Sky adapter is connected to the ethernet port of the PC & that the Sky adapter has power. If all is good try resetting the Sky adapter. Looks like the usual paper clip in the hole at the back, hold it in until something happens with the lights on the box. Then reboot the PC & see where you are.

If still no joy go to Settings > Network > Change Adapter Options & you should see a screen with all network adapters. Double-click the ethernet adapter & select Properties. Make sure that Internet Protocol V4 is ticked & then double-click it. Make sure both options are set to obtain address automatically. & OK back to Settings. Then reboot the PC.

Hopefully one of these steps will re-establish the ethernet connection to the Sky adapter & you should then see the new router.

Need some clarification here.

You say you're connected by a Sky adapter. Is that the only way you've ever connected? That's a device for connecting a Sky box to WiFi, so a little odd. You say the PC is "also" connected to WiFi. So for clarity, does the PC have it's own WiFi adapter? Maybe right-click Start > Device Manager & report what devices you have listed under Network adapters.

If you are indeed using the Sky box as a WiFi adapter, then that connects by ethernet. A problem there might explain why you're getting an ethernet error. First thing to check is that the cable in the green socket of the Sky adapter is connected to the ethernet port of the PC & that the Sky adapter has power. If all is good try resetting the Sky adapter. Looks like the usual paper clip in the hole at the back, hold it in until something happens with the lights on the box. Then reboot the PC & see where you are.

If still no joy go to Settings > Network > Change Adapter Options & you should see a screen with all network adapters. Double-click the ethernet adapter & select Properties. Make sure that Internet Protocol V4 is ticked & then double-click it. Make sure both options are set to obtain address automatically. & OK back to Settings. Then reboot the PC.

Hopefully one of these steps will re-establish the ethernet connection to the Sky adapter & you should then see the new router.
The Sky adapter was for use with my old Sky+ box. When I upgraded to Sky Q the adapter became redundant. When I then got my Win 10 PC I used the Sky adapter for wifi hook-up, (my old Win XP PC had no in-built internet connectivity and I was using my laptop or tablet for this) and it worked ok until I changed to my new router.
After doing what you suggested for protocol V4 (which was alresdy ticked) it still shows "No network access" when I check the ethernet status. I hope this clarifies the situation.

I also meant to say that when I checked for a list of network adapter devices it was as follows:
Qualcom Atheros AR8131 PCI-E gigabit ethernet controller (NDIS 6.30).
And then a list of :
WAN MINIPORT with the suffices IKVE2, IP, IPV6, L2TP, NETWORK MONITOR, PPPOE, PPTP and finally SSTP.
I don't know if these have any relevance.

Did you reset the Sky adapter?

When you double click the IPv4, is there a network address assigned & if so, what is it?

It looks like the adapter needs to be reconfigured. The easiest way to do this is to reset it & connect it to a Sky box as intended, then connect to the new router's WiFi. When you put it back on the PC it should just work.

Another option would be to reconfigure the new router to match the old one. That means changing the SSID & password to what the Huawei was set to & making sure the IP address range matches.

Otherwise you're looking at reconfiguring the adapter from the PC, which isn't straight forward. Some good info on post #5 of this thread:

Or you could just buy a USB WiFi adapter & save the pain now & in the future.

Last edited:
I tried resetting Sky adapter but it didn't help.
When I double click on IPV4 there are no network addresses assigned.
I like the idea of getting a new usb wifi adapter, there are dozens on amazon from £5 upwards, are there any you would recommend?

I tried resetting Sky adapter but it didn't help.
When I double click on IPV4 there are no network addresses assigned.
I like the idea of getting a new usb wifi adapter, there are dozens on amazon from £5 upwards, are there any you would recommend?
That suggests that the Sky adapter doesn't have a DCHP server on board, so not sure how it picks an address when connected to a Sky box. You could try setting an address manually as suggested in that thread I linked to but it all sounds like too much pain.

For a WiFi adapter I was going to say stick with a known name, but there don't seem to be many. This has decent reviews compared to most & has the advantage of an extension lead & dock to get it away from possible interference from the PC itself. If it's crap at least with Amazon you have easy return.

Amazon product ASIN B08BHY92R4

I'd also suggest picking up a long ethernet cable at the same time so you always have a fall-back option to temporarily connect directly to the router.

Before I sent off for a new Wifi connector I decided to do as you suggested and plugged the Sky adapter into my old Sky box and set up the new router. When I then transferred the adapter to my PC hey presto it worked, it was as simple as that! Can you get ethernet cables 10-12 metres long?
Thanks very much for everyone's help, it was greatly appreciated.
Rob

Good news!

That length of cable is no problem & you can also get flat ones to make routing easier. But not an issue if it's only for occasional emergency use. Ebay is usually a good source of cheap cables.

This may be a really dumb suggestion, but wouldn’t using home plugs instead of the Ethernet cable, be a lot easier than running 12 meters of cable

This may be a really dumb suggestion, but wouldn’t using home plugs instead of the Ethernet cable, be a lot easier than running 12 meters of cable
And potentially a lot less reliable and slower. If you can run a Ethernet cable that would always be the best option.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom