"Network Congestion" :(

richdgrant

Hey all. Got my xbox 360 last week. I have got the wireless adapter for the 360 too. Here's my setup:

I have a Netgear wireless router (DG834GT) which I believe is 802.11G (108Mbps). This is connected with an ethernet cable to my PC which contains MCE. My wireless settings are: Channel:11, Mode:g&b, I ues .ts files to stream. My xbox is downstairs, my wireless router is upstairs. When I test the connection using the media extender software, the bars are usually always green (indicating it's suitable to stream HDTV).

Here's the problem, my xbox easily connects to the wireless router. I can flawlessly access xbox live etc but the problem comes when streaming these HD .ts files to my HD tv connected to the xbox 360.

I am testing using an episode of lost in .ts format. The picture quality is excellent but every so often "Network Congestion" appears and the picture stutters. After a few seconds it returns to normal. This keeps happening every few minutes tho and it gets quite annoying.

I've tried moving the router around the room but where it is just now gets the best performance when using the media extender connection test. Would altering any of my wireless settings (e.g. channel) stop this "network congestion"?

I have read on these forums that a wired solution is by far the best way to go if you want to stream HD material to the xbox 360. However, I do not want to do this as my house is very cable-free (well, there's lots of cables, but you can't see them) at the moment, and I want it to stay that way.

I see that you can buy ethernet mains plugs which use your existing wiring to connect devices together. Does any one here use this method to stream HD material to their xbox? Does it work well?

Would these plugs work with my router? I'm guessing I would simply use an ethernet cable to connect the router to the plug, then another ethernet cable to connect the other plug (downstairs) the the xbox.

Could somebody recommend a good ethernet plug to buy?

Sorry for the large post, hope you guys can help me :)

Cheers.

Hey all. Got my xbox 360 last week. I have got the wireless adapter for the 360 too. Here's my setup:

I have a Netgear wireless router (DG834GT) which I believe is 802.11G (108Mbps). This is connected with an ethernet cable to my PC which contains MCE. My wireless settings are: Channel:11, Mode:g&b, I ues .ts files to stream. My xbox is downstairs, my wireless router is upstairs. When I test the connection using the media extender software, the bars are usually always green (indicating it's suitable to stream HDTV).

Here's the problem, my xbox easily connects to the wireless router. I can flawlessly access xbox live etc but the problem comes when streaming these HD .ts files to my HD tv connected to the xbox 360.

I am testing using an episode of lost in .ts format. The picture quality is excellent but every so often "Network Congestion" appears and the picture stutters. After a few seconds it returns to normal. This keeps happening every few minutes tho and it gets quite annoying.

I've tried moving the router around the room but where it is just now gets the best performance when using the media extender connection test. Would altering any of my wireless settings (e.g. channel) stop this "network congestion"?

I have read on these forums that a wired solution is by far the best way to go if you want to stream HD material to the xbox 360. However, I do not want to do this as my house is very cable-free (well, there's lots of cables, but you can't see them) at the moment, and I want it to stay that way.

I see that you can buy ethernet mains plugs which use your existing wiring to connect devices together. Does any one here use this method to stream HD material to their xbox? Does it work well?

Would these plugs work with my router? I'm guessing I would simply use an ethernet cable to connect the router to the plug, then another ethernet cable to connect the other plug (downstairs) the the xbox.

Could somebody recommend a good ethernet plug to buy?

Sorry for the large post, hope you guys can help me :)

Cheers.

As far as i know, the wireless on the 360 is only 54mbps, i've always had problems streaming hd over wireless. The best way you can do this is with a wired connection, i know the cables are a pain.

Coolit

I have a snazio HD player that has wireless, you can’t stream .ts files over wireless its not fast enough, it needs to be done by the wired connection, as the technology is the same I guess the same will apply here.

richdgrant

I had the same problems when I tried to use wireless for media centre streaming. In the end I used ethernet over powerline and it works really well. Have a look at http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm for some ideas.

Thanks for the link :) For the last couple of hours my HDTV streaming has been working perfectly providing I'm not downloading anything & my laptop is not connected to the network. Fingers crossed it stays like that.

I've had sky HD for some time now and, although being impressed with the quality of the picture, have been left unimpressed with the quality of the programmes available. When I bought the xbox 360 on thurs, I had no idea it could stream HD content from a computer. I bought Media Center on friday, set it up, and now hopefully it's all working correctly.

dsanders_sco

Thanks for the link :) For the last couple of hours my HDTV streaming has been working perfectly providing I'm not downloading anything & my laptop is not connected to the network. Fingers crossed it stays like that.

I've had sky HD for some time now and, although being impressed with the quality of the picture, have been left unimpressed with the quality of the programmes available. When I bought the xbox 360 on thurs, I had no idea it could stream HD content from a computer. I bought Media Center on friday, set it up, and now hopefully it's all working correctly.

If you have the option to go 11A then you'll get even better throughput (its on a different, more effective wireless channel). The problem I had was I couldn't get decent throughput at all. There is a really good set of help pages on http://www.microsoft.com/mediacenter which can help optimise wireless connection.

Streaming HD is cool though, isn't it?

Good luck. Davd.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom