Question Network compnent choices

m11rphy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Im looking to set up a proper home network and wanted to check if Im making the rights choices, I will have BT infinity installed and already have CAT 6 going to all rooms.

For the router im thinking of DrayTek Vigor 2760, unless there is a reason to get the 2860.

Wireless acces points I want a Ubiquiti PoE Access Point, but do I go for?
1. Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR UniFi AC1300
2. Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO UniFi AC1750
3. Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE

Finally I need a POE Switch, I have been looking at the Draytek VigorSwitch P1090, but is there a better option ?

I think this covers everything but please let me know if Im missing something

Another option that has been suggested to me is

Dreytek Modem -> Unifi Security Gateway -> UniFi Switch -> UAP-AC-xxx

Hi m11rphy, I can't say I've used the 2760, but I have installed several 2860's and they are a doddle to configure and work a treat.
Have you not considered the draytek access points as well? Then you will have a complete system that roams properly and is all managed from by router.

Hi m11rphy, I can't say I've used the 2760, but I have installed several 2860's and they are a doddle to configure and work a treat.
Have you not considered the draytek access points as well? Then you will have a complete system that roams properly and is all managed from by router.

I have looked at the dreytek ap's but everything I read seems to suggest the unfi's are the superior product

I can't say I have any experience with them to be honest, I think the main difference is the range, realistically in a home environment is that so important so long as the ones you have cover the area you need?

I'm a Comercial environment where you're looking at 10 instead is 15 perhaps but at home you'll only need 2 maybe 3 at a push.

Wi-Fi output is limited in law and most kit is and always has been at or close to the permitted max. It really isn't hard to make a 1/10th of a watt radio transmitter - they can cram one into a smartphone without any drama - hard to believe anyone struggles to do the same in a router/AP.

I don't buy the BS manufacturers put out about how their product has "so much more range" than the competition. BT's current TV ads particularly raise my hackles. Mostly they are exploiting the fact that later versions of technology (N, AC, etc.) offer greater "rate-at-range" - that is, (for example) at the same locale where "G" might step down from 54mbps to 48mbps modulation, N can offer faster modulation that beats those speeds, thereby "pushing further out" the coverage footprint of "54mbps or higher."

I acknowledge that this is a somewhat nuanced argument - just don't get sucked into the "more transmit power" (implicit) assertions - it simply doesn't happen as max. RF power is mandated in law.

Differences between the mfgrs tend to be about the features implemented. For example, different management capabilities, security paradigms, roaming hand off features, single/dual band, MIMO count, interoperation - the list is large.

As I'm fond of saying - Wi-Fi is way more complicated than ethernet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom