Bargain Network Bonkers Sale

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Sarah7, Aug 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sarah7

Sarah7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
  2. systemsdead

systemsdead
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,296
    Not on Networks own site but their release of the 60s classic The Prisoner is on Zoom for £17.10 with code, might take a punt on this myself as its supposed to be a pretty decent boxset with a good bunch of extras to dig into.

3. Ronnie3067

Ronnie3067
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
  4. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,694
    Thanks for this, Sarah.

Picked up "The Saint: The Complete Colour Series" box for £15 (£35 on Amazon!) and the "Filmed In Supermarionation" book for £5 (£30 on Amazon!).

Shame "The Saint" monochrome box isn't also the same price, will have to keep looking out for that.

5. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,833
    It's a great set and looks jaw-droppingly good, you'd be mad not to at that price :smashin:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Ronnie3067

Ronnie3067
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    Bought the Filmed In Supermarionation book, at that price it's a steal. :smashin:

7. Ronnie3067

Ronnie3067
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    Looking at the Ealing Studios Rarities Collection DVDs, how's the video quality on these?

8. Sarah7

Sarah7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Well spotted... note there are 2 listings on the Zoom site with the cheaper one showing the limited edition set as the picture (although not identified as such in the title or description). If correct, that's £75 on Network's site including the book, soundtrack and 'In My Mind' documentary!
    The Prisoner: The Complete Series (Box Set (50th Anniversary Edition)) [Blu-ray]
    Prisoner (The): 50th Anniversary Limited Edition [BLU-RAY]

Zoom also have the documentary on its own for £3.00 however the SIGNUP10 code doesn't take 10% off:
    In My Mind [Blu-ray]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  9. Sarah7

Sarah7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
  10. systemsdead

systemsdead
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,296
    That's just bonkers glad I ordered it then:smashin:

11. Sarah7

Sarah7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'm not sure we'll receive that edition, but have ordered it anyway! :cool:

12. parentalguidance

parentalguidance
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Looks to be the 50th Anniversary set which is IMO inferior to the 40th Anniversary edition. The new set only includes the In My Mind documentary and text info subs aswell as some newly discovered 8mm film from the time. The 40th Anniversary set is so much better. It includes the definitive 95 minute documentary, HD version of the alternate opening episode, 16mm copy of the alternate second episode, 5.1 mixes, commentaries and more - none of which are in the new set.
    The luxury 50th Anniversary set also includes the new updated book and the 6 cd soundtrack but that is supposed to be exclusive to the Network site. The Zoom offer seems to be the 50th Anniversary Blurays only according to the RRP although the 40th set is not out of print. Zoom have used the cover shot for the Limited Edition which would seem to be wrong

There were 30 items yesterday when I placed an order, there's 90 today. The Saint B&W set is in the deal but its £26 because there are 71 episodes and not just 47 like there is with the colour ones. £26 is a bargain. The B&W series is light years ahead of the colour series as most episodes are adapted from Charteris stories. The colour era are mostly written by the usual ITC writers as the Charteris stories had almost run dry so for this reason the stories are weaker and some are dire.

You might also want to pick up The Saint Steps Into Television... which is only £2 and combines all 3 documentaries , including the one from Return of the Saint into one long documentary about The Saint on tv and narrated by Roger Moore and Ian Ogilvy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  13. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,694
    I bought it last time Network had a sale on!

This was in anticipation that I would get the two series at some point, so I've been keeping it back to watch after I finally caught up with the programmes.

Incidentally, what does anyone think of the Ogilvy shows? Worth getting or pale into comparison compared to the magnificent Moore?

14. parentalguidance

parentalguidance
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    The show has its fans but it's very poor compared to the Roger Moore era simply because Roger Moore isn't there. The Saint relies heavily on Moores onscreen charisma and while ROTS is entertaining it's nowhere near as good. Unfortunately it was made during the era when ITC were making co-productions with Italian tv (RAI) like Year One of Space 1999. That show was forced to use Italian actors who's English wasn't very good so they required dubbing. Part of the deal for ROTS seems to have been to ensure some episodes were shot on location in Italy but they did seem to choose very dull locations which didn't help the show at all.
    If you don't die of boredom during some of the lesser colour Moore stories I'd give ROTS a go if you can get it under £20. (It's currently £17.71 from Network but might incur postage)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,592
    I'm quite tempted by the monochrome Saint set but I have a load of tv stuff to watch. I also remember really enjoying The Lovers when it was on but that may not have aged well.

Bri

16. Sarah7

Sarah7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Amazon have The Professionals BD sets Mk I, III and IV for £8.92, £12.02 and £10.99 although I believe these are now non-matching sets as Mk I is a reissue without the book and different packaging. It's surely getting overdue for a reissue as a single complete set too!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Sarah7

Sarah7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  18. Paul Moran

Paul Moran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I was going to take a chance on Ghost Squad: The Complete Series (10 disc set) for £7.00, but the £4.32 shipping charge (£3.60 + VAT) put me off.

@Sarah7, Department S is not my favourite ITC series, but £15.99 for the Blu-ray set from Amazon is impossible to resist, so I'm replacing my DVD set! Thanks for the heads up. (It doesn't seem that long ago that Network were selling the six individual Blu-ray disc releases for £10 each.)

19. Paul Moran

Paul Moran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    It varied, but IIRC, they were all at least watchable. (I have all 14 volumes, but I watched the most recent (Vol. 14) 3 years ago, so don't ask me for reviews. :))

20. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,694
    Thanks to this Thread, I wandered over to Amazon yesterday and picked up The Professionals Mk IV to complete my collection for that bargain £10.99 price, especially as it was £30+ until fairly recently.

I've also got Mk I without the book, but I don't care that I have a mismatched collection as Pixley's writing style is practically unreadable. In fact, I agree with you: they should definitely put out the whole collection without the books as you won't be missing anything and it will lower the price!

21. parentalguidance

parentalguidance
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Never seen any complaints about Pixleys writing before. He's done a lot of the books for Network and his writing on archive tv goes back to the 80's when he was one of the main contributors to Time Screen and other magazines of the era.
    The main issue with the Network books are that they are mainly just stats and figures and it's hard to make those as interesting on a budget. The majority of the series Pixley writes about already have books available and he deliberately tries not to cover the same ground so the more interesting background info is usually in the previous books while Pixley covers areas those other books don't such as trying to show how each series fits into the tv landscape of the time it was broadcast.
    Some of the books are a bit dry in places but overall they make for an essential extra

22. parentalguidance

parentalguidance
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    If you're the slightest bit interested in ITC shows of that era and being B&W doesn't matter then I would go for it. The ITC action man hour series of the following decade were made on the back of the success of The Saint. The B&W seasons have very few duds. If you like Gideons Way you'll like that era of The Saint and I doubt you'll ever get it this cheap.

As an early 70's studio bound ITV sitcom made on tape The Lovers has dated no better or worse than others but it does have some very good writing so if you can compensate for the production style of it's era you should like it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  23. Sarah7

Sarah7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Now £6.99 at Amazon.

They also have:
    The Corridor People £2.99
    Storyboard £7.99
    Victim £3.99

24. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,694
    I made the mistake of reading his 600-page snoozefest that came free with the "UFO" boxset and that's put me off for life!

Yes, it was full of dull facts and figures that meant little and captured nothing of the energy and life of the programme. I am not saying he is a bad writer as he is clearly good at what he does, but the brief is just so limited so, in my opinion, these books add nothing but cost to the projects and you'd enjoy watching the programmes just as much without them. Probably more so!

Besides, they can't be that invaluable if Amazon are prepared to sell Season 4 of "The Professionals" on Blu-Ray for £10.99. Get rid of the books for Seasons 2, 3 and 4 and sell at the same price = more sales and everyone's happy.

25. parentalguidance

parentalguidance
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    The books for The Professionals are excellent. I guess the price Amazon sell them for is based on what they get them for in the first place. And I doubt that reducing the content but not the price would please many people. The book version of series 1 is already OOP so the others will follow and I assume at some point in the future a complete series set will too.

Edit - apparently Professionals set 2 is also now bookless

One thing I'm not keen on are script to screen comparisons as I'm only interested in the finished episode and what was filmed. The original script can sometimes include interesting alternatives but it was unfortunate that the second half of the UFO book - the 300 page episode guide was in fact a very detailed script to screen comparison for every episode and I couldn't get through more than a fraction of it. I expect he saw little point in doing a traditional guide as this was already covered in the Chris Bentley UFO book. But the first half that covers pre-production and how the show was treated by ITV and what it faced on the BBC I did enjoy. It was disappointing that just before production began one of the actors was let go so one of the main characters was dropped which meant the earlier scripts had lots of adjustments between script and screen which gave Pixley lots to write about concerning the original character and which other characters took over his lines. That's not for me. Bu his book on The Persuaders I thought was excellent and it was aided by being the highest quality Network set of viewing notes being on glossy paper and including photos.

I think the fact that Network continue to include Pixley books on initial print runs and then release a bookless version later shows that the books are generally popular with the fans who don't mind paying day one prices

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  26. parentalguidance

parentalguidance
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks for reposting my Danger Man post on Roobarbs. I'm banned over there (like so many seem to be) so good to see some info they might otherwise miss out on

27. psmith

psmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
  28. Sarah7

Sarah7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    No, I don't think the complete BD editions of Department S, Randall & Hopkirk or Captain Scarlet appear on Network's own site; presumably they're holding off listing them whilst the 'Exclusive' individual volumes remain available.

29. parentalguidance

parentalguidance
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Jason King dvd set from Network is only £4.99 on Amazon at the moment.
    Apparently another 60 titles will be added to the Network sale on tuesday while over 200 of Networks British Film titles are listed for £2 on Amazon at the moment although some currently listed higher as Amazon have no stock themselves but the low price is for ordering direct from Amazon

30. Sarah7

Sarah7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    They've started adding more titles now... hope today isn't going to be as expensive as the weekend!