Network Attached Storage for Mac and XP

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by andyman5002, Sep 11, 2007.

1. andyman5002

andyman5002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a storage device that can be connected to a network, or an enclosure which I can put my own hard drive into, that works with windows XP and Mac.

My 80GB MacBook is nearly full (about 7GB free) and I want to transfer data off it. Ive got an external hard drive but its formatted in NTFS so Mac wont write to it.

Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Andy

2. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Get MacDrive, it allows Windows to read/write to the Mac native HFS+ file system...:thumbsup:

I've just transfered nearly 500gb from my old Windows PC to an external hard drive this way without any problems.

3. dpstjp

dpstjp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    MacDrive is a great programme, but it's for Windows to read/write a Mac, not a MAC to write to Windows/NTFS as andy needs.

MacFuse appears to do that, but it's not a programme that I know well. Perhaps others have experience of it?

dpstjp

4. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Don't think you can get mac to write to ntfs - only solutions are reformatting drive to HFS and using MacDrive to access from any windows platform or reformatting to FAT32 which can be read/written by either format (allowing for its 4Gb max individual file size limitations) ...

Only thing is Andy doesn't say if there is content on the external drive he needs to keep ...

Jon

ps - one thought - have you an ipod Andy that you could use as temporary storage for the files - you could delete all the music as it would re-sync when you hook up to itunes (the songs from which you are presumably keeping?) ...

5. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    If he re-formats his external hard drive to HFS+, installs MacDrive on a windows pc, transfers data over the the now HFS formatted hard drive [from his Mac] and plugs it into the Windows pc it solves his needs doesn't it?

6. andyman5002

andyman5002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the replies. I thought of re-formatting the drive to FAT32 or to HFS but its just too much hassle and FAT32 wouldnt be good enough because of the restrictions. A NAS drive would be ideal, because then if I needed to take it to another location I wouldn't need to install MacDrive on the machine and I could just use the USB.

I dont have an Ipod Either so a bit of an issue.

I found a Lacie drive but it seems it has poor performance. I guess I will just have to keep looking. Does anybody have a HP Media Vault. That seems good but not sure if it works with a Mac. It also has UPnP media streaming which should work with the PS3.

Andy

7. agoodey

agoodey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You can always use MacFUSE to write to NTFS volumes from a Mac, but it isn't the fastest thing in the world due to the lack of a buffer cache for block devices.

8. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Silly question time :D Don't you have a DVD burner?

Also, I may be daft or something, but when I use my download PC overnight I just connect to it via Finder (Apple+K) and connect to it and I can easily xfer to and from the drive! It's NTFS as it can deal with files bigger than 4GB.

Have you tried to connect to your PC from the Mac (or vice-versa) to see if you can xfer files that way. Maybe it something to do with Parallels Desktop being installed on my Mac, but I've always had it working this way.
    Used this to xfer my bookmarks and mp3's from my old PC when I got my iMac. Here's some pics to prove my point.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]