Network and AV wiring options

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by irpacaus, Sep 11, 2007.

1. irpacaus

irpacaus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Need some advice on what I should do.

Background.
    Currently I own a 3 bedroom 2 reception terrece house in London. I am currently here from Oz for a few for work and I am wanting to 'wire up' my house for networking and AV coneections. This is for two reasons, firstly for me while I live there and secondly for when I move back to Oz I want to rent the house and want to have it prewired so people can install Sky or Virgin with out having to run cables around or drill holes in my walls etc.

My current thoughts on install.
    I want to have at each TV/Network point location in a gang plate
    - 2x network socets
    - 1x TV ariel point
    - 1x fm/dab point
    - 2x satellite points (Sky+ arrangement)
    - 1x CATV (Virgin media)
    Question: can you get this arrangement in a double wall plate. The plates I hae seen only have two sat points f conectors not three which is what i need.

Currently I am looking at having
    2x plates in the lounge
    2x plates in the dinning room (Used as a study)
    1x master bed
    1x plate in bed 2
    1x plate in bed 3

I am planning to run all this cabling back to cupboard under the stairs to a rack of some sort.

Network
    The networking cable will come back to a patch pannel which will then feed into a 16port gigaswitch which will feed from my wireless router which feeds from the the virgin cable modem.

The CATV (Virgin) will come in from the street into the cupboard and be split to feed the broadband router and the tv points. Question: can I split this more than three times. Currently I have a V+ box and a normal V box with a broadband modem. Can I spllit it to feed CATV signals to each of the 7 locations i have indicated. Or is it better I have like a patch panel and if I switch the cable box around I need to contec the right cabel back at the patch panel type thing?

With the Sat (Sky+) arrangement I was thinking of installing a dish with a Quatro LNB fed to a 5in 12 way multiswitch. Then connecting out to each Sat (Sky+) point.

Then I was goin gto run the TV and FM arieal form the roof through a powered amp then out to each room plate.

Question: What sort of cable is best for the Sat and Cable tv. I have seend RG6 mentioned is this what I need. Also I guess that it is best for the networking to run Cat5e

Please also any other comments regarding my install would be appreciated.

PS in addition I intend to put in a media server at some point as I previously saw some good little devices that sit at the wall at light switch level which play music from a media server and display album art on it. It installs the speakers direct from the unit but for the life of me I can't remember what it is called. So if you know please let me know.

Sorry for the long post.

David

2. peevo

peevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Question: can you get this arrangement in a double wall plate. The plates I hae seen only have two sat points f conectors not three which is what i need.

Answser: You can get a modular solution for your requirements. Example

Question: can I split this more than three times. Currently I have a V+ box and a normal V box with a broadband modem. Can I spllit it to feed CATV signals to each of the 7 locations i have indicated. Or is it better I have like a patch panel and if I switch the cable box around I need to contec the right cabel back at the patch panel type thing?

Answer: You can split more than 3 times, you can feed several locations however with your 2 sources you can have control of channels in 2 locations without conflict.

Question: What sort of cable is best for the Sat and Cable tv. I have seend RG6 mentioned is this what I need. Also I guess that it is best for the networking to run Cat5e

Take your pick from here for sat cable. Forget cat5e and install cat6

From the info you have gave i would consider also looking at an all cat6 solution such as Lexcom home/wiselan that type of solution reduces the amount of cabling required and gives you modular option to add audio.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Really no need to have any more than 4 Coax and 2 cat5 in plate which can be done Sky, VM, DAB/FM?DTV all use coax and dont need dedicated cables for each service. (5x12 multi switch carries 4 sat feed and UHF/VHF (so can carry DTV/DAB/FM). Also be very very wary of "all supporting" solutions there is no such thing as future proof

4. gilesrj

gilesrj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how did your build work out? i am looking to do something similar an would be interested in your experiences...