Answered Netlfix app quality - better on TV or via box?

Hennatron

Standard Member
Reaction score
Testing my new 65" C8.

Has anyone got experience of the quality of native Netflix app on an LG tv vs the Netflix app on a dedicated box e.g. Sky, Virgin, Roku etc.

Some quick tests yesterday showed a higher quality on the LG Netflix app vs the Netflix app on a Windows 10 laptop plugged in via HDMI.

My decision is either:

1) Invest approx £500 on ARC enabled 4k HDBaseT extenders to bring audio via the TV's optical out to the AVR which is located in another room, which in turn powers the speakers back in the TV's zone.

OR

2) Pay for Virgin/Sky/Roku etc. to get a box which would feed directly in to the HDMI of the AVR and then send video and audio as I do today to the TV and speakers.

There is no possibility to run any new cables, although I do have around 6 spare Cat 6 cables terminating at the TV - don't really want to buy a set of Optical/Cat 6 baluns!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts re the above quality!

How old / what model is the receiver? in my experience ARC works quite nicely on the C8, which would solve your problem.

If the receiver doesn't support ARC then rather than faffing with cables and external devices I'd upgrade that, you'll likely gain a bunch more functionality over the current one too if its an older unit.

Netflix is certainly better on my Panny than SkyQ although ARC is an absolute pain, so it's an optical connection.

Netflix is certainly better on my Panny than SkyQ although ARC is an absolute pain, so it's an optical connection.

Agreed on ARC being a pain but i doubt optical output will support the new higher bit rate that Netflix has launched.

Agreed on ARC being a pain but i doubt optical output will support the new higher bit rate that Netflix has launched.
No it won't, I'll have to go back to SkyQ for that I think, hope!

Thanks for all the input and suggestions

Receiver is a few years old, Marantz SR7009 and could be worth upgrading soon.

Didn't consider the optical out bit rate on the TV, thx for flagging.

Just checked the LG C8 does support audio out via HDMI through ARC.

For anyone reading this, if you ever decide to chase cables inside walls/ceilings to your AVR...make sure to put the runs inside conduit with a cable pull through to each location, so you'll always be able to run new cables for new standards.

Hi. I would try connecting a Firestick 4k to your existing receiver - it is cheap, and I would expect its Netflix app to deliver the best possible quality. Never heard otherwise, and it's a very popular device.

Hi. I would try connecting a Firestick 4k to your existing receiver - it is cheap, and I would expect its Netflix app to deliver the best possible quality. Never heard otherwise, and it's a very popular device.
The snag with the 4K Firestick as far as Netflix is concerned is that it doesn’t seem to match the frame rate, so is, I assume, delivering all Netflix content at 60hz. While it looks fine most of the time, some people may notice stuttering with 24p content as a result.
Prime videos do match the frame rate correctly as far as I can tell.

@Hennatron, Netflix on my C7 app is working very well indeed via ARC and is still receiving updates. I would expect the C8 to work well for sometime to come if you can solve your other issues.
The Firestick is a good device, but not needed for the C7, 8 and 9 yet imho.

Thx @Andrew1472 - going to send back the non ARC HDBaseT extenders from Bluestream and try these instead:

Bluestream HEX100ARC-KIT

I'll update this thread when switch out is done with an update for anyone else posing similar questions.

@Andrew1472 , thanks - i was not aware of the Netflix app issues regarding ramerate on the Firesticks. A shame, they would have provided an elegant and easy solution to the OP. Hopefully Netflix will fix the app! For now, perhaps a different streamer? Though the OP seems to have decided already to go for ARC extenders.

The snag with the 4K Firestick as far as Netflix is concerned is that it doesn’t seem to match the frame rate, so is, I assume, delivering all Netflix content at 60hz. While it looks fine most of the time, some people may notice stuttering with 24p content as a result.
Prime videos do match the frame rate correctly as far as I can tell.

Hi. Your call, but it seems like a very expensive solution. A quick search shows the Apple TV would match frame rates on Netflix for a lot less money, and perhaps you can use it for something else?

Thx @Andrew1472 - going to send back the non ARC HDBaseT extenders from Bluestream and try these instead:

Bluestream HEX100ARC-KIT

I'll update this thread when switch out is done with an update for anyone else posing similar questions.

Hi. Your call, but it seems like a very expensive solution. A quick search shows the Apple TV would match frame rates on Netflix for a lot less money, and perhaps you can use it for something else?

Great suggestion, thank you! Do you know if the Apple TV Netflix quality is on par with the native Netlix app on your TV?

It will be replacing my Firestick when and if my TVs app starts causing me issues. I’m very tempted already to be honest. I would be very surprised if you can tell the difference between it and your TVs Netflix app.
Review here, Apple TV 4K Review
and a huge owners thread here,
Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

Thought I would chime in and say that the Roku Streaming Stick + is also a well reviewed device which does Prime Video, Netflix and BBC iPlayer in 4K HDR10 (although not Dolby Vision). It also has a now TV app so can be a good all in one. Also can be had for about £50.

Enjoy whichever route you go down :)

Just to add my opinion,
We have the 65" C8, we have a Virginmedia V6 tivo, a firestick and a Sony 4k bluray player, all with a Netflix app installed but none of them are a patch on the installed app on the C8.
Directly through the tv app is pin sharp with extremely smooth operation and minimal buffering.
Some of the quality is almost up there with 4k disc quality.
I have an admission to make, I am at present sitting here watching Dynasty, I absolutely hate the show but the picture quality is bloomin' fantastic and I'm so loathe to turn over

Not so keen on the quality of the included Amazon Prime app though, seems a bit lacklustre.

Just to add my opinion,
We have the 65" C8, we have a Virginmedia V6 tivo, a firestick and a Sony 4k bluray player, all with a Netflix app installed but none of them are a patch on the installed app on the C8.
Directly through the tv app is pin sharp with extremely smooth operation and minimal buffering.
Some of the quality is almost up there with 4k disc quality.
I have an admission to make, I am at present sitting here watching Dynasty, I absolutely hate the show but the picture quality is bloomin' fantastic and I'm so loathe to turn over

Not so keen on the quality of the included Amazon Prime app though, seems a bit lacklustre.

Very much this^. Apart from the Dynasty bit.

Ive noticed no difference in PQ with Netflix app on the ATV4K against the C8 app. The C8 app supports interactive but the box app doesnt. Accessing the TV app is more immediate than starting the ATV and then the app.

However, I have found the audio better ATV to a receiver than TV ARC to the receiver and so I use the ATV app generally. For Youtube, Iplayer, NowTV, Amazon I always use the C8 apps.

I bought the ATV to access Itunes movies, so any apps I use on it are a bonus - I'm not otherwise an Apple user. I certainly wouldn't buy an ATV just for general apps, to me its a great way to access Itunes movies in DV and Atmos. For 2019 TVs even this may become a TV app.

Thanks for the comments re ATV. I've already got an ATV4k as we don't have an aerial feed and used it for live bbc/itv on top of Netflix/etc. I quite like flipping through TED talks on it tho tbh.

Just trigger pulled on a 65C8 too so looking forwards to it arriving! Replacing a 7 year old 1080p Sony!

Only issue with the Sky option for Netflix is no HDR of course

and no atmos. Sky have acknowledged all issues but are not fixing them.

Id go with the TV app or apple tv box. Forget sky imo.

and no atmos. Sky have acknowledged all issues but are not fixing them.

Id go with the TV app or apple tv box. Forget sky imo.
Didn’t realise there was no Atmos on Netflix through Sky. You learn something everyday :rotfl:

Didn’t realise there was no Atmos on Netflix through Sky. You learn something everyday :rotfl:

I learned after I dropped a large sum on Atmos sound equipment. My tvs that old I cant use the app. Cheers Sky :facepalm:

I’ve actually found a sound issue with the internal app using my Samsung soundbar.

The vocals are not right using the internal Netflix app, despite having Atmos.

When I use Sky instead or ATV, there is a noticeable better clarity on vocals and general sound level.

I’m perplexed as the PQ is better than Sky but sound generally isn’t as good???

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom