Netgem questions

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by dealmaker, Sep 29, 2003.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

Please may I take the liberty of posing a couple of questions for those of you with Netgem boxes:-

1) Is the Netgem remote partially programmable i.e. will it allow you to set it to operate your television volume/mute/power etc.?

The Sony freeview box allows this and it's really useful in that it allows you to operate pretty much all functions from the one remote making the whole process more transparent.

2) Does the netgem component output work concurrently with the RGB Scart output i.e can I have my Projector connected to the NETGEM via Component and the TV connected via Scart at the same time (my Arcam DVD allows this) - or do I need to manually select via the menu which output to use each time I change between the two?

Failing the above can anyone recommend a Freeview box which WILL give me an RGB Scart output to my TV AND a Component output (via Scart or not) to my AMP/Projector - as well as having a full size digital output (optical or Co-ax) AND have a remote which can be coded to operate my TV??

Many thanks

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No, the remote I had with the original I-Player wasn't a learning remote (unless that feature was well hidden)

If memory serves (I no longer have an I-player after being unable to get a fully working one, so my recall may be off), the second SCART for your VCR only does composite output, not RGB, so your choice is between using the main TV SCART in Component or RGB mode, you can't get both out of the box at the same time.

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    What were the faults and how many did you try?

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Basically the first one died after having been turned off for the first time (this was about 2 weeks after getting it).

The second one I was sent by John Lewis turned out to be someone else's faulty unit.

Unfortuantely John Lewis didn't have any further stocks at that time, and as the only reason I'd bought a Freeview box was because we'd got extremely poor analogue terrestrial reception (to the point that the few things the gf and I wanted to watch on Channel 5 were completely unwatchable), I got a refund from JL and in the meantime went into Dixons (spit!) and bought a Nokia 221T, which, while I regard it as inferior to the I-Player, has the novelty of working and being able to survive being turned off.

However, on the day that I finally get round to buying a new main TV and can relegate the gf's 14" portable to the bedroom, I'll be in need of a 2nd Freeview box and may well give Netgem another try.

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    The netgem will output RGB, or component, or s-video, or composite from SCART1 but only one at a time. You choose which one. SCART2 is composite for connection to a VCR.

Mine has worked flawlessly and is a very impressive performer.

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Got my iPlayer and it's great!

One odd thing is,if I put the DVD recorder signal via the iPlayer,after I stop play on the DVD,the iPlayers pic and sound goes out of sync.But if I put the signal through via the DVD recorder,it's fine.The output pic/sound is obviously being interrupted on the iPlayers Scart pass through.

Is this a common fault?

7. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone know for sure if the Netgem has a codeable remote ??

The Sony and Pioneer boxes have remotes which, when coded from a list in their respective manuals, will operate the key functions of most televisions.

If the Netgem does this then I think I'll be getting one - I'll run my projector from the component out on Scart 1 and my TV from composite on Scart 2

8. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, and apparently introduced with the last upgrade! My box certainly included this 'feature' :mad:

Oh, and the remote 'just' controls the Netgem - though you can, of course, mute and change the volume of the box. Go on, keep collecting the remotes; it's what we all do!:clap: :smashin: :clap:

9. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Bit late chap,I've found all the info out about the iPlayer since and await the fix in the next update.

It's still great and one of the best pieces of kit I've ever had.

:clap: