NetGem or Philips DTR1500? Advice for a newbie.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by BigFella, Sep 23, 2004.

1. BigFella

BigFella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading various threads in avforums now for months, what a fantastically knowledgable and helpful crowd you all seem to be....much better than any sales assistant in any store!

I am about to take the plunge and purchase a Freeview box, but the choice is immense and my head is now starting to throb with all the various options.

I don't want to spend a fortune (that's what the wife has told me, anyway!) so unfortuantely I have had to dismiss the HUMAX PVR8000T which I liked. So I am now trying to decide between:

- NetGem iPlayer £57.58 online at http://www.pluggedin.tv/
    or
    - Philips DTR1500 which I think I saw in Sainsbury's for £49.99.

I primarily want good quality fast TV, and I want to be able to use it as a radio feed for my hifi.

I thought I was sold on the NetGem but then started reading some threads about the 7 day EPG not being available and started to questions myself, although I don't think the Philips has one yet either.

Any advice or hints for a newbie?

Thanks in advance.....I'll check back later, Tesco's beckons :thumbsdow

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I have the DTR1500, it's a good box (video & audio quality) and performs very well given a good signal.
    However it does not have the 7day EPG, it has no RF modulator and I don't really like the remote handset. It's also over a year old and is not state of the art hence the reduction from it's price at launch last year.

3. BigFella

BigFella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the verdict on the Philips. Do you know whether the DTR1500 is likely have a software update to provide the 7 day EPG? Or is it more complicated that that?

Also, given my requirements do you have experience of any other good boxes at below the £60 mark?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    As I understand it the 1500 can not be updated for the 7day EPG, technical specs are not upto the task, however I may be wrong and I wouldn't want to say definitively since I am only on the fringe of the DTT debate:)

I would recommend popping over to the DS forum and it's DTT section, you'll find a huge amount of info on STB's and upgrades etc.

DTT Forum