Netgear (WNCE3001) Universal Dual Band Wireless Internet Adapter Review

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Stephen Withers, 6th June 2012. Overall we found the WNCE3001 wireless adapter to be an easy to set up and capable performer, that makes a great choice for anyone looking to connect an older Ethernet device to a wireless network.
Read the full review...

This looks like the piece of kit I exactly need.

2 questions, though. One is, did you try connecting an unmanaged switch to the single USB, thus enabling more than one device to connect?

Also, it seems like £60 is the going rate - any idea where it can be got for £40?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just so I understand your question foofightin, are you asking if you can connect more than one device via USB? If so, the answer is no because the USB socket on the WNCE3001 is purely for providing power, either from the connected device or via the USB plug adapter

The price is really just indicative but you're quite right, the majority seem to lie between £50 and £60, so I've changed it to £55 on the review.

Apologies, I did in fact mean the Ethernet port. A simple 4 port switch into the ethernet port on the Netgear should, in theory, expand its functionality.

The power-over-USB is an excellent feature of the Netgear unit.

Thanks for the review - I shall definitely consider a purchase.

Worth pointing out the WNCE3001's slightly less advanced and older sibling, the WNCE2001 is available for around £40.

-Greg

Am I wrong or is this basically a device to convert a ethernet only-enabled device into a wireless-enabled device. If so, I recently bought such a device from Amazon for £18. I can't see why this is £55. I must be missing some of the functionality.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
OK, now I understand Greg. Although I didn't test it a 4 port switch, I can think of no reason why that wouldn't work, it's just a standard 10/100 Mbps Ethernet port on the WNCE3001.

Thanks for reminding me about the WNCE2001, I think that was what I saw for £40 when I was looking up the price for the WNCE2001.

Am I wrong or is this basically a device to convert a ethernet only-enabled device into a wireless-enabled device. If so, I recently bought such a device from Amazon for £18. I can't see why this is £55. I must be missing some of the functionality.

Yes it is basically and the TP-Link does seem to offer great value compared to the Netgear. It looks like the main difference is that you can power the WNCE3001 via USB, is that an option on the TL-WA701ND? We will actually be reviewing some TP-Link products very soon.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have been using a WNCE2001 connected to a Humax Foxsat HDR to view on demand services such as BBC iPlayer. It's been in use since Dec 2011 and have found it a brilliant product. I guess the 3001 would be at least as impressive.

:)

Yes it is basically and the TP-Link does seem to offer great value compared to the Netgear. It looks like the main difference is that you can power the WNCE3001 via USB, is that an option on the TL-WA701ND? We will actually be reviewing some TP-Link products very soon.

No, you can't power it via USB, to be fair. Although, it does supply a strange dongle which allows you to power it via ethernet (PoE)! I'm a plain old plug socket man myself. :smashin:

It would seem that the TP-link unit is 150mbps wireless on the 2.4Ghz band, where as the WNCE3001 is 300mbps wireless on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

It would seem that the TP-link unit is 150mbps wireless on the 2.4Ghz band, where as the WNCE3001 is 300mbps wireless on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

Interesting, although aside from the 5GHz band on the WNCE3001, the actual difference in download speeds is irrelevant because I think both have 10/100 Mbps Ethernet ports, which will cap the download speed at 100 Mbps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom