Netgear Wireless Problems

Iain Allan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Help needed with wireless problems. My wireless connection suddenly went down and I have to connect with wire. When I try to repair the connection it cannot renew the ip address. Every so often it will connect wirelessly but cannot clear DNS Cache. I have downloaded winsockxp but this has not solved the problem. I have also checked numerous posts on other websites from people with similar problems but no one has given a definitive answer.

All help very much appreciated!!!:smashin:

Have you turned all the WEP/WPA security off first? Are you using the Microsoft XP wireless client or one that came with your network card? More details please!

Have tried with wep/wpa on and off, double checked the passcode and all matches. Apologies mind my ignorance but, how do I tell if I am using xp wireless client or other?

The MS client looks like this:
step11.jpg

Anything else must be part of the software that came with the wireless hardware in your PC. Is it a notebook or desktop? Did it come with wireless hardware or did you install it?

Messing around with Winsockxp is only going to make things worse! The error with the DNS can be ignored - I'm guessing you are trying to 'repair' the connection?

If you download and install NetStumbler that will show if your PC is getting a wireless signal and if another local WiFi network is interfering with it.

Ok, am using MS client and with a packard bell laptop which came with wireless preinstalled. Am getting an excellent wireless signal but it struggles with "Aquiring network address".

When I try I click on repair connection about 1 in 50 repairs gets passed the Ip address part but says could not clear DNS cache, when this happens I can get a wireless connection for about 20 mins:confused:

Everything has worked fine for about 5 months then one day it all collapsed, had this problem for about a month so appreciating the help guys!!:clap:

Hi Ian,

I'm very non-technical but had this happen with my DG834. I changed the channel on the router (can't remember what to, I think it was just another channel), and it has been solid ever since. I assumed that something was interfering with the router on the old channel. Up until then I had tried everything (except changing the channel) and it was driving me nuts!

Good luck,

Noel

Noel said:
Hi Ian,

I'm very non-technical but had this happen with my DG834. I changed the channel on the router (can't remember what to, I think it was just another channel), and it has been solid ever since. I assumed that something was interfering with the router on the old channel. Up until then I had tried everything (except changing the channel) and it was driving me nuts!

Good luck,

Noel

Yep.

Sounds like someone has set up another network nearby or bought a DECT phone that's interferring.

... hence my recommendation to download NetStumbler. In short, if you are on channel 11, try changing to channel 1 or 6.

Channel 1 is always your best bet where interference is concerned....
best to stay away from Ch6 as that is used by all '108mb' wireless devices :)

Have tried changing to Channel 1, 2, 3, and 6 but still no joy. Have downloaded netstumbler and it picks up the signal loud and clear. :( Whats wrong :lease:

Which model is the Netgear router?
Have you rebooted it (or powered down and up)?
Have you tried doing a firmware update on the router?

At the client end, you could reset your IP stack (in case winsockxp messed it up) be following the instructions here.

Just to confirm, when you ran netstumbler it was definitely your network you were seeing right?

did netstumbler pick up any other wireless networks nearby?

As a workaround, you can always use static IP to help find out where the problem lies..

TBH, if you only have a few machines on your network, and rarely have visiting machines, you're better using static IP anyway.

I'm assuming you're using 192.168.0.1 as the routers IP address...... if you are, set your PC/laptop to have a static IP address ('manually assigned' )

IP address of 192.168.0.254
Primary DNS of [FONT=Verdana,Arial]83.170.64.2[/FONT]
Secondary DNS of [FONT=Verdana,Arial]83.170.69.2[/FONT]
Default Gateway of 192.168.0.1

Give this a go and see how your connection fares up over a week or so, if everything is OK then we've established it's just the DHCP part of your router that's not working properly.
A firmware upgrade might fix this
A new/replacement router would definitely fix this
but in all reality, you don't actually have to bother fixing this, as DHCP is more of a security flaw than a useful feature, for most wireless network users. :)

I regularly had that problem with a netgear router, and now less so with my linksys.

Always find that a router reboot sorts it out straight away.

Thanks guys!! Rebooted the router and problemo solved (seems strange because it was one of the first things I tried a month ago:confused: )!!

I am now wireless again, thanks to everyone for all their help:clap: :thumbsup: :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom