1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NetGear Wireless network offer

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by PFM, Jan 2, 2005.

1. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Folks,

Has anyone come across dealers that are running the Netgear new year offer?

As per the Netgear page:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/dg834gt_wireless_bundle.php

I realise this post may be to early for internet sites to have updated their web pages for this offer (commencing 1/1/05), but I've had a good look across many of their listed dealer links and havent spotted the offer any where.

Anyone any ideas? :cool:

I want to setup a wireless network in my house for 3 laptops (1 is a toshiba Tecra - already wireless enabled) and a Desktop to share a single broadband connection (Wannado). So the kit I'm looking at is:

Modem/Router
    Netgear DG834GT (108mps)

PCMCIA:

Netgear WG511T (108mps)
    Netgear WG511 (54mps)

PCI
    Netgear WG311T

Do I really need the PCI adapter for the desktop or will the modem/router connect directly into it (the BB connection is located with the desktop)?

And does anyone know the best place to buy these items?

Thanks & Happy New Year :thumbsup:

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    most likely www.ebuyer.com will have a deal on it, or if not the prices will be low enough to make it cheap still. They have done deals on the 834G with a wireless card for months so i assume the same is true of the 834GT.

I have the DG834G (54mbps rather than 108mbps of the DG834GT) and havent been completely impressed with it. Their support is completely inept (cannot speak any english and the line is so poor you can hardly hear anything!). The firmware for all the 834 series still has some fairly large bugs and it suffers from fairly regular crashing. If you have a look on the netgear forums you will see hundreds of users with the same problem and Netgear seem to do nothing about it!

Depending on how urgent you are for this, I would advise waiting for a new release of firmware for the 834GT or go with another brand. Have a look on www.ebuyer.com , lots of people have had very successful experiences with the ownbrand router that costs no more than £30inc delivery.

As for your other point, most routers will happily connect to a PC via ethernet which most computers have got already. This cable can be up to 30m long with no problems but if they are on the same desk then a couple of meters will be fine.

3. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been running a 834G router to form a wireless network comprising two PCs with USB network cards and a laptop with a PCMCIA card. One of the USB network adapters is an ebuyer value model, the rest of the kit is netgear and I've had no problems. The router and the HTPC ( with USB NIC ) are on all day everyday and in 7-8 months I have not had a failure.

The router has 4 wired ethernet ports so you can wire a client directly to it - I have a Hauppauge MVP connected to mine.

I read mixed reviews about the router before I bought it, a Belkin was getting good write-ups at the time, but a bit more digging revealed people hving problems with just about every brand out there. I'm running XP on all of the PCs and I'm sure this helps keep things simple. I can't comment about the support as I've not had to call them.

Cheers

Simon

4. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the info, I think I will run with the Netgear, as Simon stated all brands appear to have their own particular hiccups.

I'll wait a few days to checkout whether dealers are honouring the promotion.

5. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  6. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17