1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netgear wireless help please

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by buns, May 30, 2004.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This morning i found a second wireless network available to me so decided it was time i encrypted my own...... so I went to do so but each time i type the IP addy of the router (a netgear wrg614) I get a message of unavailable or server connection reset or something like that. Now im still on the internet using the router, I just cant seem to get into its control panel. I have tried to reset the router twice and neither time has this solved the problem.

I dont frequent the router setup so I dont know how long this has been a problem. I have been through the netgear help and cant find anything really to help me. I tried to do an email thing..... but every time i go through the application online, something that comes up causes my explorer to close (no point debating this point because thus far no one can explain that happening).

So has anyone any idea why I am unable to access the router yet it still seems to be functioning correctly?

many thanks

Ad

2. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oddly, I had the same problem about 2 months back when trying to change the default password.

My solution was to reset the router (its a pin thick holl at the back which I stuck a paper clip into for about 20 seconds) - is this how you reset it?

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah.... that was what I did.... it made no good for either the wireless or wired pcs. I totally cleaned the laptop out and did a new XP install.... it worked straight away on both wired and wireless connections. The desktop pc still cant access the router so im guessing it is something in the pc configuration, perhaps a virus or something alike....

I really wish netgear were alot better, or at least there was someway to know how awful they were before I started! When i purchase, I was led to believe Netgear were very good!

ad

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    In future always buy Linksys, had 3 linksys routers one wired one wireless and one with ADSL modem and wireless.
    All excellent, recently put a belkin ADSL 802.11g in at work nothing but hassle!!!
    Have you tried uplugging net connection and going in with one PC only, I assume netgear is similar to linksys/belkin you go to 192.XXX.X.X IP and into settings from there?
    Also try to see if new firmware is availble.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ill take note of that for future :)

I think you are right that all of these are similar, the addy to access router is exactly as you say. I do tend to follow the firmware seeing how crappy the performance is but it is very hit and miss...... i downloaded the latest version today and it gave me on of on off on off..... connection..... I needed to go to the wired connection to download an old router upgrade!

It is just unfortunate that I had to lose a load of data (albeit pretty worthless) to get it working!

ad