Netgear WGR614 Router - Installation Problem

O

orks

hi..the problem is: I have ADSL modem connection (working)..but when I conect it to the router, and from the router to my laptop, and finally start installation cd,and do the automatic setup,I am getting stuck at the point when it says that my ethernet adapter is not installed (though it is working with ADSL)..does somebody have any idea..?I tried to do the manual setup but it's not working either..so?

Are you able to login to the router with the router connected via one of it's LAN ports (not the WAN port) to the PC's ethernet port ?
Login is via Internet Explorer, typing the router's IP address in as the URL.
URL should be http://192.168.0.1
Then you use the default username of "admin" and default password of "password" (you can change these for security and save settings later).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

hi..thanks a lot for the reply..so I tried as you said and IE cannot find the page..but to make it more specific: the router seems to be working (the lids specified in the manual are on: power lid/network lid(signal from ADSL)/PC connection lid)..I tried as well without ADSL connected and the result is the same..I tried to reset the router and the same..do you have any ideas?

Try a spare (substitute) RJ-45 ethernet cable.
The lights don't tell all that is going on.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

what type of modem do you have connected to the router? how is it connected?

modem: D-Link, model: DSL_360R ..connected feom the phone line to the "ADSL" port, then from the "ethernet" port to the router's port caled "internet", and from one of the "lan" ports to the ethernet port in my laptop..alone the modem is working (right now I am connected with the cable), I checked both cables I was using to set up connection and both work with the modem alone (I hope this is enough for what Chris advised, if not i will go and buy another one), I tried to reset both devices, I tried to reset them in the order given in the manual, etc., and it's not working..
these may be only two things which are wrong: either there is sth wrong with my laptop (though the ethernet port is working alone with the modem) or sth is wrong with the router, although all the required lids are on, and it's performing some test in the beginning and the test lid shows ok..

There's clearly a problem in that you get "page not found" when you try to login to your router.
I would get that working first - otherwise you'll never be able to make the router secure and adjust settings, save logs and configuration etc.
See if the router has its IP address written on it on a label somewhere on it in case I gave you an incorrect one.
Find the handbook - you should be able to get a PDF-file with the full manual (on the Netgear website) + it'll be on the CD that came with it.
Then you can confirm the login procedure and router IP address, default login details etc.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

thanks for those who helped me..I, finally managed to fix the problem..it was saying that the ethernet adapter was not installed because in the local area settings TCP/IP was disabled, so was the client for microsoft windows.. after enabling them everything went smooth.. thanks again.. it took me (us) a little..i found the answer after I started reading the manual carefully, after the last suggestion from Chris.. thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom