Netgear Stora

KyleS1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I'll cut to the point - is it any good?

There are A LOT of bad reviews about this product, but most seem to be because the users don't know what they are doing.

My requirements are to download files from the net straight onto the Stora, and to store general files (photos, avi's,, mkv's etc). I will use a my popcorn hour A110 to read these files and pop them off to my TV.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that the Stora is ideal for my requirements, but just thought I would double check on here first.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

I have had one, for the bargain £49.99 bare price, for a couple of months now.

Its a basic NAS, but does exactly what it says on the tin. I can cope with more, but dont need to as its simply for storing all my Movies and Music. No need for anything more involved. Works well with my Mac's and also with an old PC I have for a few small tasks. No complaits from me whatsoever.

A lot of people discount it because it cannot handle Bittorrents without a PC on, or random other requiremtns, but thats not something everybody will need/want. I dont do much downloading tbh.

I have just recently ripped all my Movies from the Mac and the PC directly from disc onto the drive, and it worked flawlessly.

Stick a pair of WD Caviar Greens in and its whisper quiet and fast enough for streaming 1080p with no issues too!

Thanks for the reply. That is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear.

I'm thinking of getting a pair or caviar greens for it too.

It seems like a great little unit for the price. And you can apparently hack bit torrents and nzb grabbers on their too with a little bit of work, if you should so wish.

Just beaware that it will only let you set up 3 user accounts. If you wnat more it will cost you an annual fee.

With only me using it, that won't be a problem.
Thanks for your reply

I've just bought one of these second hand from ebay with a 1tb hdd in. I've added another 1tb hdd that I had running in jbod mode (one big disk). I'll let you know how I get on.

Did you not realise that they are £49.99 new and a 1tb hard disc new is like £40?

I came here specifically to post the same thing. I never did understand people paying more than the new price for second hand gear.

A well known auciton site has second hand and new gear on there for substantially more than the above pricing!

I've just bought one of these second hand from ebay with a 1tb hdd in. I've added another 1tb hdd that I had running in jbod mode (one big disk). I'll let you know how I get on.

Any update?

Ignore the bad reviews from people expecting a ReadyNAS at half price.... take it for what it is.....Simple fast basic storage and you'll be pleased.

I've posted my thoughts on this thread...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1361430-budget-cheap-pc-nas.html

yep thanks for your thoughts.....
only just seen this thread...looking good for the money.
cheers.

anybody know if it compatable or comes with the sqeezebox server software installed as some netgear stuff does.

....just read a review of what hifi....probably a mistake!......said 'mp3 playback only' as a negative....whats that all about for a storage solution?
...... surely playback is down to device connected to the netgear.

also said it was a no no for sqeezebox?

cheers.

....just read a review of what hifi....probably a mistake!......said 'mp3 playback only' as a negative....whats that all about for a storage solution?
...... surely playback is down to device connected to the netgear.

also said it was a no no for sqeezebox?

cheers.

File streaming codec options are often limited on various devices due to limitations of the DLNA server app running on them. These limitations only apply if using DLNA to stream.

The Only Codec info i can find on the Stora website states the embedded media player only supports
- Image - JPEG, GIF, PNG
- Audio - MP3
- Video - MPEG-4 (H.264), MOV, FLV

no mention of whether this applies to DLNA as well or just through the web GUI.

However If this is for DLNA as well then I'm suspicious that later formats have been added in firmware updates as mine happily streams Vob files to my PS3

The DLNA software on the Stora is MiniDLNA, according to the sourceforge project page this is exactly the same DLNA server that runs on the ReadyNAS as well.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/

What file formats are you wanting to use? I have an ACRyan POHD that will play virtually anything..let me know some files types and i will test them over DLNA from the Stora.

Also worth remembering though is that if your using a Client device (sorry i don't have a squeezebox) that suppports SMB/CIFS networking then you can stream anything your device supports.

Last edited:
File streaming codec options are often limited on various devices due to limitations of the DLNA server app running on them. These limitations only apply if using DLNA to stream.

The Only Codec info i can find on the Stora website states the embedded media player only supports
- Image - JPEG, GIF, PNG
- Audio - MP3
- Video - MPEG-4 (H.264), MOV, FLV

no mention of whether this applies to DLNA as well or just through the web GUI.

However If this is for DLNA as well then I'm suspicious that later formats have been added in firmware updates as mine happily streams Vob files to my PS3

The DLNA software on the Stora is MiniDLNA, according to the sourceforge project page this is exactly the same DLNA server that runs on the ReadyNAS as well.

MiniDLNA | Download MiniDLNA software for free at SourceForge.net

What file formats are you wanting to use? I have an ACRyan POHD that will play virtually anything..let me know some files types and i will test them over DLNA from the Stora.

Also worth remembering though is that if your using a Client device (sorry i don't have a squeezebox) that suppports SMB/CIFS networking then you can stream anything your device supports.

well as mentioned i would be looking at geeting a media player and/or a music streamer though this looking more likely to be a sonos if a squeezebox is going to be problematic. would not be interested in the storas built in media playback side of things....just as a storage solution to stream to whatever i'm using.
was intending to use a lossless codec of somesort...probably flac
video would be a much as possible.....i've xvid,mp4,mkv and probably be looking at iso's and vobs too....the idea would be cover as many bases as possible.

cheers.

First Post on this Forum

Suggest intersted parties Google Stora Forum for a full feedback on other peoples' experiences, including my own.

My experience with the Stora

It is very very basic when it comes to RAID – it offers mirror copy (RAID 1) and more recently JBOD (spanned disk – ie 2 x 1Tb = 2Tb)

It will take a 2Tb HDD

There is a recommended range of HDDs ( eg WD Caviar Green) but I have used Seagate and Samsung – no problem.

It is Gigabyte Network ready

The ability to connect through a browser from any PC worldwide is useful. It is slow (www.mystora.com)
There are a number of extra facilities available through the $19.99 per year premium subscription including direct access to FaceBook and Flikr for direct uploading. As mentioned above – without a premium subscription you are limited to 3 accounts, with premium – unlimited accounts.
It is ITunes compatible
You can send a link to others to access individual files on your Stora without having to give them full access

NOTE

It has a single USB socket which can be used as a print server for compatible printers (not multi-function devices) or to add a USB External HDD. Beware of this last issue – a number of people have connected their USB drives to this port and for whatever reason the Stora had “Bricked” the drive, not transferred the files and when the drive is connected to a PC or laptop directly after – the drive is unreadable.

When setting the machine up you MUST be connected to the nternet in order to register your drive to the supporting 3rd party software providers. Without internet connection you cannot set up the Stora. Once set up others have found that it does or does not work with the internet switched off.

You cannot setup your own “Shares” on the system There are 3 by default. My Library, My Computers and Family Library. You can set up folders within these shares.

Thoughts

Like many NAS devices they are slow to read and write

It is probably now the cheapest way to have a networked attached 1, 2 or 4 Gb Hard Drive in JBOD mode.

The support for the drive is flaky and Netgear have messed up a couple of their Firmware releases and have damaged users' data. Netgear have replaced some (I believe) and in one case a whole Firmware release was reversed. (The firmware and software is NOT Netgear's own work).

It is aimed at simple home use but professes to do more but realistocally does not

The range of "supported media formats is limnited (already listed) - it will store any format like any HDD and so if you have a different Media Player than WMP or ITubnes it may work better.

Would I recommend this product as a user since they were rele
ased NO – it is too flaky to be robust enough for serious media or long term storage in mirrored mode (RAID 1).

I use a Ready NAS Duo by Netgear and whilst more expensive is better featured and far more robust. It also does not use 3rd party access software and firmware so Netgear treat is as a REAL product.

Hope this helps

C

Bloody prices have just jumped up everywhere for this product. Guess I will just wait until after xmas to get one now.

If youreally must have one of these

Netgear STORA Home Network Media Storage NAS (No drives)-

Currently £54.84 inc VAT

Remember too VAT goes up to 20% from current 17.5% on 1 January 2011 so prices will go up again.

I still would not recommend it all the same.

C

Each to their own i guess. I can't praise mine enough, fantastic value for money.

@Reevesy..

Tested FLAC playback at the weekend by the way...through DLNA/uPnP no joy...media wasn't even displayed (on my ACRyan player that does support FLAC)

Through SMB connection however using the same ACRyan player and the media was displayed and worked perfectly.

It's a tricky one. They seem exceptional value for money, when the next closest device price-wise is the ready nas duo which is £130 without any disks.

When amazon drop the price again, I will get one, as they have an unbeatable returns system should the device have any problems.

It's a tricky one. They seem exceptional value for money, when the next closest device price-wise is the ready nas duo which is £130 without any disks.

When amazon drop the price again, I will get one, as they have an unbeatable returns system should the device have any problems.

I won't deny that the ReadyNAS is a far better device and is worth the money as it is twice the device the Stora is. I just didn't need the extra features of the ReadyNAS so the Stora serves my purpose well.

As far as dodgy firmware updates/hardware unreliability/data loss goes.......as I've said before RAID isn't a backup solution, it's just a level of hardware redundancy; I keep a separate copy of all my data on another device and I'd suggest anyone using a RAID enabled NAS should do the same.

For everyone to have raised there prices all of a sudden suggests that Netgear may have increased the wholesale on the Stora. You may well not see it drop again.:(

Last edited:
I just didn't need the extra features of the ReadyNAS so the Stora serves my purpose well.

This is the reason I want the stora, it appears to do everything that I want it do without having lots of expensive features that I won't ever use.

For everyone to have raised there prices all of a sudden suggests that Netgear may have increased the wholesale on the Stora. You may well not see it drop again.:(

Hmm, it is a possibility, but if it is the case, I will look into second hand or just find something else. At circa £60 I think the Stora is great value, at anything more, I would consider more reliable devices.

EBuyer is doing the RND with a 1Tb drive fitted and a "FREE" second 1Tb drive (through redemption form Netgar) for £184.99

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143121

or th same deal BUT WITH 2Tb Drives for £259.99

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/186685

The extra cost over the Stora 2110 (Diskless) and then buying 2 drives is worth it for the far better specified RNDs.

I have 1 Stora and 2 ReadyNAS - there really is little to say other than you can have but 1 Stora on your Network, No such restrictions on the RNDs. The build quality is way in excess of the Stora (you will see what I mean when you buy a Stora and look at the cge structure an the power button).

C

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom