Netgear Stora Advise Required

DeepDiver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. I know you can help me so here goes.

This advise is for a friend so here are his needs.

Home
Laptop - Vista
PC x2 - XP Pro

Student away from home
Laptop - MacBook

Simplicity is the word I'm afraid. Apart from home use the main requirement is access for the MacBook Laptop student to dump work as a backup on the stora. The student will also have a portable HDD for the same purpose as a double security measure.

I Know the stora has it's limitations espicially with it only allowing 3 accounts, but this may not be a problem.

I Read somewhere this restriction may be changed or is there a hack to allow more accounts.

The reason I am looking at the stora is the simplicity and it has to be simple for the student to access remotely.

Thanks for reading. :smashin:

How much data are we talking about ? Have you considered options like google docs and drop box ?

About 20GB per PC & 120GB MacBook Course work & Private files.

nobody use the stora then. Thought i may of had more than one reply ?

i have used one and know people who are happy with them

i think theyve removed the account limitation

the key thing is that it was easy to use/setup for novice users, whereas a lot of the consumer NAS are really small SMB products that have moved down market, and expect you to have IT knowledge to configure them

the stora performs well and does what it says on the tin - just dont expect to be downloading/installing bittorrent or NZB clients etc like you can do on readynas/QNAP/Synology NAS etc

i have used one and know people who are happy with them

i think theyve removed the account limitation

the key thing is that it was easy to use/setup for novice users, whereas a lot of the consumer NAS are really small SMB products that have moved down market, and expect you to have IT knowledge to configure them

the stora performs well and does what it says on the tin - just dont expect to be downloading/installing bittorrent or NZB clients etc like you can do on readynas/QNAP/Synology NAS etc

It is as i stated in my op. Basic NAS with remote access for a student to upload course work as a 2nd backup. She needs it for when she finishes so as to show future employers.

im sure it will more than meet the requirements then :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom