Netgear SC101T Storage Central Turbo.

railfrog

Standard Member
I have seen one of these advertised and was wondering if anyone has got one and to list the pros and cons.

I have read on wikipedia (so it must be true :laugh:) that the SC101T is a "Storage Area Network" device and not a "NAS". Therefore all the clients that need to access this unit must have the drivers and software for this device.
Are there any drivers and software that need to be installed on a NAS or is it just the SAN?

This will be my first unit and will be used for streaming media to a LG HG405SU home theatre.

Thanks

themediaman

as far as i can see it is just a NAS, houses SATA drives and connects to your network..........

but someone with experience of it may give you more info..........

i have the 405 also but if it was required to have drivers for access then i dont think it would work.........and for streaming wiki states its no use for such activity...............how about the netgear stora.............

Last edited:

railfrog

Standard Member
as far as i can see it is just a NAS, houses SATA drives and connects to your network..........

but someone with experience of it may give you more info..........

i have the 405 also but if it was required to have drivers for access then i dont think it would work.........but i do believe it will function as a NAS...........

I have just been reading a few reviews. I think i will leave it as it is not Win7 compatible and the software has to be installed on all machines wishing to use the box. Also i would need to install the software on the 405 for it to work, and i am pretty sure that is not possible to do (please correct me if i am wrong).

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Netgear SC101T Storage Central Turbo

The link above will take you to the reviews that i read.

Last edited:

themediaman

I have just been reading a few reviews. I think i will leave it as it is not Win7 compatible and the software has to be installed on all machines wishing to use the box. Also i would need to install the software on the 405 for it to work, and i am pretty sure that is not possible to do (please correct me if i am wrong).

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Netgear SC101T Storage Central Turbo

The link above are the reviews that i read.
you cant install anything on the 405 so your screwed there, i think as a media server, its no use, i am sure its good for general file access etc..........

railfrog

Standard Member
you cant install anything on the 405 so your screwed there, i think as a media server, its no use, i am sure its good for general file access etc..........

I think it is more than likely just a file back-up option rather than a media server.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom