Netgear router modem status "connecting"

S

snollygoster7

Neighbour has a Netgear 834gt router/modem which was working fine with 2 pc's and laptop. Then, overnight, no connection to the web. No pages would load.

Checked everything out - can get to the router itself and all the settings are as they were - so connected the old modem directly and was able to get online no problem through current isp, so no issues there.

Have gone through the whole routine - cables, reboots, updated firmware, the lot and all I can see in the Modem status on the router page is "connecting".

Can't think of anything else other than a hardware fault on the router/modem itself. Anyone any other ideas or experiences?

Many thanks in anticipation and head scratching bewilderment - probably missing something obvious......Snolly

The Dude

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest a firmware upgrade for the router would be a good place to start.

Connect up using the modem, and download the upgraded router firmware from here

Even if he's using that same version firmware, it's still worth a go.

There were certainly some 'ADSL2 issues' with the original firmware version, it may well be that his ISP have changed some things at their end which have upset the Netgear.

It's a painless upgrade process, a few clicks and a minute's wait.. :smashin:

sdu1975

Try going through the connection wizard again and re-enter all the details.

This happened a while back to me and this solution solved it for me.

Regards

S

snollygoster7

Had already updated the firmware to the latest version - made no difference, still cant connect through the router.

Which is why I suspect a hardware or cable problem (dont think its the latter)

dekoded

Have gone through the whole routine - cables, reboots, updated firmware, the lot and all I can see in the Modem status on the router page is "connecting"

When you say you've rebooted have you done this via the router setup page or have you actually unplugged the router?

Quite often routers just stop working for no apparent reason, the first thing I always try is to turn off the power, leave it for about 30 secs and switch it back on :thumbsup:

ps, just don't do it in the middle of a firmware update!!!

S

snollygoster7

Oh yes - definitely unplugged from the wall. In fact, it was left unplugged overnight and regularly is by thy neighbour. Have also tried the soft reboot. Rebooted PC, unplugged cables etc etc, put it all back and booted everything up fresh - still modem status "connecting" !

tis odd.

S

snollygoster7

Also - I'm pretty sure the ADSL Linklight on the front of the router is not showing up lit in green - obviously as theres no ADSL connection detected as the modem is in this stupid "connecting" status. :(

S

snollygoster7

For anyone whos remotely interested and incase they get the same, this did turn out to be a hardware problem. A new router plugged in worked right away.

Thanks for all those who replied.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom