Netgear router and XBOX live

I was using until recently a Netgear router on NTL on Live (it was the DG834 though, not the one you mention) without paying for the second IP (I had 2 PCs and 2 Xboxes running simultaneously actually). I think the thing you need to be aware of when doing this is you may need to clone the MAC address of the first thing the NTL connection sees when it connects, ie. probably your main PC. You can do this in the Network Settings screen of the Xbox dashboard. This might do the trick, it worked for me!

NTL uses dynamic IP addresses, and you cannot therefore set a static address for the connection to the internet. Shouldn't be a problem though, just leave it set to Automatic, except for the DNS which should be set to 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 (I think these numbers are right - I will check tonight and edit if necessary) in anything that shares the internet connection.

you need to make sure the router is working wih NAT. That way the router will take the one IP that NTL have given you and give a connection to all devices. It will pretend that all other data coming from the pc/xbox attached to the router is infact coming from the router.

hornydragon said:
Thanks Lorenzini
Noticed in the user manual that unit has a 5 year warranty and 1 year on PSU and hence wondered if you had the receipt???????
Sorry, have not anymore - what do you need it for? Has it gone kaput? I had a look recently as I'm about to eBay my Netgear router, but looks like I've thrown everything out.

Does the router use DHCP? If it does, then it will assign IPs automatically to anything connected. If this is the case - make sure the Xbox has IP Addressing to automatic, DNS set to the numbers I've posted above, and put in the MAC address of your PC into the Xbox too. This way, it fools NTL into thinking you just have the one device connected.

EDIT: I've just checked the specs of the router and it does have NAT and DHCP, so see if what I've posted above works for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom