Netgear RBK853 Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System Review & Comments

Cameron583

Personally, after trying many mesh systems, the way to go is to get 2x decent ASUS routers and set them up as an AI mesh system, ideally with an Ethernet back haul.

You won’t need a system like this if you’re on anything under ~300Mb - a Wi-fi AC/5 mesh would be good enough :)

Nevertheless, great review. The Netgear stuff seems to be the fastest system in a box at the moment for sure.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Impressive Figures
Impressive price.
I'm impressed.

ashenfie

Looks very pretty,but way to expensive. I have solid walls and wifi is pretty useless. I have a power line wifi adapter in every room and that solves the issue. While they are not the most expensive adaptors in town the serve the wifi at full speed of my wifi provider. So 4xAdaptor = £240 and my router was £129, so a still sizeable £369. It does the same job and with an extra £600 in my pocket to buy some hifi gear

Eddy555

Distinguished Member
Interesting write up and it's obviously a nice bit of kit, but that's really expensive.

I got fed up with mesh systems after trying a few. My Linksys Velop (which was highly rated everywhere) with 3 nodes (wired backhaul) just didn't have enough wireless power to keep my cameras online and I had to keep on an older firmware to make sure that they didn't fall off every other day too.

I switched to a Uniquiti Unifi system which I thought was expensive, spending £450 on a gateway, AC Pro wireless AP, AC Lite wireless AP and CloudKey and even with just the Pro AP (in a non-optimal point in my house) the wireless coverage was superb and covered everything, I only added the Lite AP to give my back garden some more coverage, and that was a relatively cheap upgrade. Personally I think the Ubiquiti hardware gives a better solution for the money.

steve sph

Eye-watering price, and I really wonder just how many folks really need speeds this fast anyway.
Good, comprehensive review, though I doubt the UPD delivery man will be walking up the drive with this anytime soon.

bogart99

Pricey but if it is needed and works well. I have the RBK53 and find is ok. My problem is it is a large old house with some walls a foot thick and always getting the message the backhaul performance is poor. I probably just need a couple more satellites. Would be interesting to see how this set would perform to my current one.

Dorian

Saw these when I bought by RBK50's, and just couldn't justify the price! Have been really impressed with the RBK50 though, fantastic speed and stability. Gone from a house with FTTC to a new house with FTTP and they are superb on full fibre.

Previously had two Nighthawk R7000's (one as a wifi extender) but they still didn't cover the whole house.

jmac

Distinguished Member
Lol at the price.. and then a subscription! :suicide:
looks nice apart from that, myself I'd pay £400 max for a decent setup.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
you could get 5 asus xt8 units for that money
Although you could only use 2 of them max :) (Edit - apparently you can daisy chain many...)
I'm looking at the Xt8's, which are pricy, but I think 2 should do the job for me. BT SH3 comes out soon too, so may hang off to see what they have to offer (as it may be cheaper to simply purchase a newer BT AP to add to their new router if I jump ship and go to them).

Last edited:

Spick72

I got Eero from Amazon, always a sale every 3 months, £149 for 3. You can now get wifi 6 ones or the pros but most U.K. houses and connections don’t need them. Absolutely flawless, easy to set up etc, good app. No need for anyone to have bad wifi these days. Why the hell you would spend a grand though is beyond me unless you live in a mansion.

Paul7777x

Ok. Super mad skills, no doubt.

But how much... and really?

Who, short of a genuine castle owner, could plausibly need these, or afford such an outrageous price?

pjr918bmw

If the heat sink is getting warm/hot and these devices are I guess running 365/24/7 then what is the power cost a year??
Stupid question I guess.... if you were prepared to pay a grand for them in the first place..!😁😁

Downinja

Surely at that sort of price point running a wired backbone is going to be cheaper?

I get there are some properties where that's not feasible, but it has to be a very limited set of people paying a grand for WIFI access points???

Dorian

Surely at that sort of price point running a wired backbone is going to be cheaper?

I get there are some properties where that's not feasible, but it has to be a very limited set of people paying a grand for WIFI access points???
Was thinking the same, or at least a hybrid. Can get a triple pack of the RBK50 series for £299, I have these and they're fantastic. I seriously doubt they are bottlenecking my internet connection in any way, even though it's FTTP.

I guess if you go all-in on home automation then there could be a load of chatter that wifi-6 might help with, but in that scenario I'd be looking to wire as much as possible to reduce that sort of traffic, then leave wifi free for everything else.

Just don't see how this system makes sense at £939 - can't see a practical use-case for it at three times the cost of the RBK50.

peppadapig69

I have 2 x Huawei AX-3 Wifi 6 routers connected to powerline adapters, where I live in a townhouse and can get 400mbps on the top floor (with Virgin), while downstairs maxes out.

Total price was £150

mushii

Distinguished Member
Really??? at that price..... I have charged less to put in 3 Unifi APs and their cabled backhauls and a CK Gen1. Maybe I missed the bit of the review where it offered time travel. Maybe they thought by making them the size (and elegance) of cereal packets people would feel that they were getting more value for money, because they are bigger.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Pricey but if it is needed and works well. I have the RBK53 and find is ok. My problem is it is a large old house with some walls a foot thick and always getting the message the backhaul performance is poor. I probably just need a couple more satellites. Would be interesting to see how this set would perform to my current one.

You cannot change the laws of physics - Wi-Fi transmit power is limited by law and most kit is, and always has been, at or close to the permitted max. If you have issues with signal propagation, whether for backhauls or clients, there's no "magic" box that will fix it. For the nearly 1000 GBP of this particular Wi-Fi offering, you'd be better off paying a professional "cable monkey" to come and install some (proper) wired ethernet backhauls.

Last edited:

superfox

Although you could only use 2 of them max :) (Edit - apparently you can daisy chain many...)
I'm looking at the Xt8's, which are pricy, but I think 2 should do the job for me. BT SH3 comes out soon too, so may hang off to see what they have to offer (as it may be cheaper to simply purchase a newer BT AP to add to their new router if I jump ship and go to them).
I am sending my second XT8 back as the firmware is too buggy. Settling for the Linksys Velop AX 4200 2 pack.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I am sending my second XT8 back as the firmware is too buggy. Settling for the Linksys Velop AX 4200 2 pack.
I’m going round in circles, is there anything that’s stable :) My isp is Sky and while Ethernet is fine, WiFi is shocking, just want something reliable, works with Q minis and doesn’t cost the earth. I’ll check out your suggestion thanks

superfox

I’m going round in circles, is there anything that’s stable :) My isp is Sky and while Ethernet is fine, WiFi is shocking, just want something reliable, works with Q minis and doesn’t cost the earth. I’ll check out your suggestion thanks
After having tried almost every WiFi 6 tri band Mesh system in the market I can say that the Velop AX4200 gives you the best performance for your money. If you can live with the XT8’s buggy software then it is one cracking piece of kit with loads of customisation available and free security software. I would stay away from Orbi products as their support (once the complimentary period is up) is pretty bad unless you pay for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches the Zen Stream Wi-Fi audio transport
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ruark R1 Mk4 radio gets summer makeover
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd June 2021
  • By Phil Hinton