Netgear NAS Stora MS2110 OR ReadyNAS Duo (RND2150) - Which one?

Jay Producer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a beginner at all this networking stuff. I have had some great feedback so far and managed to narrow down my search for a NAS, but not sure which one to go with.

Which one would I be better going with?

I only need 2-bays so that's enough. One for back-up the other for my music and pictures. 1TB should be enough. I like my ease of use. Although im a beginner I am reasonably capable of working things out if it snot too technical. I use an Apple Mac so it needs to be compatible. Im sure both are.

I am still deciding on a music streaming (between Sono and Squeezebox) so the NAS has to be compatible with either of those companies.

get the readynas duo if you want to run squeezcentre, I dont think the stora supports it

the stora is more a NAS for novice consumers, the DUO is more a fully featured NAS with 2 bays....

bear in mind, neither are lightning fast CPUs for running heavy apps like squeezecentre as fast as you would on a PC e.g. if it takes 30 mins to index your files on your PC, it will take hours on the NAS ..which is fine, as long as your expectations are set correctly beforehand

if you want a NAS that can run programs designed for a PC, as fast as a PC, you need a CPU like a PC, and that costs the same, if not more than a PC.....

get the readynas duo if you want to run squeezcentre, I dont think the stora supports it

the stora is more a NAS for novice consumers, the DUO is more a fully featured NAS with 2 bays....

bear in mind, neither are lightning fast CPUs for running heavy apps like squeezecentre as fast as you would on a PC e.g. if it takes 30 mins to index your files on your PC, it will take hours on the NAS ..which is fine, as long as your expectations are set correctly beforehand

if you want a NAS that can run programs designed for a PC, as fast as a PC, you need a CPU like a PC, and that costs the same, if not more than a PC.....

Money is tight so I need to do the best with what I have. Will streaming be a problem with speed?

not all, it streams fine - I used one for a couple of years to feed my 2 squeezeboxes

..its the horsepower required to run the GUI etc for apps like Squeezcentre ...theres not quite enough to run it as fast

Logitech have done a great job optimising it for the readynas platform, they do a version for it, as the readynas is such a huge seller

but people are often disappointed when things take longer on the NAS, than on their PC

their PC might be 3 GHZ with 4GB ram and the NAS is 500Mhz with 2565MB RAM ....so its a bit slower at running PC software ...as long as you understand that, Im sure you will be more than pleased with it :smashin:

not all, it streams fine - I used one for a couple of years to feed my 2 squeezeboxes

..its the horsepower required to run the GUI etc for apps like Squeezcentre ...theres not quite enough to run it as fast

Logitech have done a great job optimising it for the readynas platform, they do a version for it, as the readynas is such a huge seller

but people are often disappointed when things take longer on the NAS, than on their PC

their PC might be 3 GHZ with 4GB ram and the NAS is 500Mhz with 2565MB RAM ....so its a bit slower at running PC software ...as long as you understand that, Im sure you will be more than pleased with it :smashin:

As longs it streams and plays my music fine I wont have any problems. Will Sonos work with either NAS?

With the Sonos set-up do I need anything else besides the ZP90 and CR200?

I take it the NAS (Netgear Stora) will just connect (wirelessly) to the ZP90 which will then be connected to the hi-fi?

the stora isnt wireless itself - you connect that to your wireless modem router via an ethernet cable

the stora isnt wireless itself - you connect that to your wireless modem router via an ethernet cable

Oh right. That means I will have to connect the stora via cable to the ZP90 for example?

Is the NASDuo wireless?

If the NASDuo is wireless will I be able to stream direct from that to the ZP90, for example, to get my music. Without the need of plugging it into my router? (this is only to access my music stored on the NAS).

I cant think of any NAS that are wireless

they are designed to be on a network i.e. connect to your home router

I guess you could give them a static IP address and do the same with the Sonos, but its not ideal

im not sure what the requirements are for Sonos - if it just requires a UPnP or DLNA media server, then either NAS will do the job

the readynas duo supports lots of 3rd party add on servers too, such as Squeezecentre, twonkyvision ...pretty much every server thats out there has been ported across to the readynas platform, as they are the biggest sellers

Can anyone tell me if the ReadyNas is loud? I was drawn to the Stora as I've heard its near silent and it is going to be in my son's bedroom - is the ReadyNas significantly louder?

Thx

Can anyone tell me if the ReadyNas is loud? I was drawn to the Stora as I've heard its near silent and it is going to be in my son's bedroom - is the ReadyNas significantly louder?

Thx

Hi,

I've asked this question before and the answer was, no it's not loud.

Link

Cheers,

Kris.

I have a ready nas duo 2150. It is by no means silent and may well be intrusive in a bedroom environment. The fan exhibits a highish piched tone which changes speed and tone according to the temperature. But I can't describe it noisy either - not much help am I. You can, however, program it to switch off and on again at preset times, not much use if you need to use it during those off periods, and it is VERY noisy when starting up as the fan goes to max during start up.

I have the duo in my living room at present, i don't find it to much of a distraction. You can definitely hear it but i wouldn't say it was loud.

But I guess it depends what hard drives you have running in there and how warm the room it is located in is.

If both cool then it won't need to spin so fast.

Duo is pretty loud when under load for a while (so the disks get hot).
4 bay units (NV+ and NVX) are a fair bit louder.
Stora is almost silent providing you can keep the fluff at bay and out of the fan!
I sometimes kip in my study. The NVX gets switched off, the Stora gets left on. Enough said.

tokaboy, I've just ordered a Duo because it seems to have a bit more functionality than the Stora. Would you say most of the noise is due to the drives fitted?

Thanks for the info folks. Ive just ordered a ReadyNas - the limitations of the stora were just too much regardless of noise. Besides, my son who sleeps in the room it has to go in is a really heavy sleeper! And I can always programme it to turn off at night.

Here's hoping I can set it up - I be a noob at this NAS networking lark.

I program mine to come on at 0800 and off at 1200 ....the noise from the fan is a good alarm clock, as it runs flat out during boot time ...use it to get your kid out of bed ;)

Set mine to come on
Mon-Fri 16:00 - 00:00
Sat 09:00 - 00:00
Sun 10:00 - 00:00

Can't hear the drives, but you can hear the fan. It's only just! audible. These times are fine by me, besides, if you need it, just turn it on & leave it on. It will then go back in to sleep mode at the times you have set.

Just got my free 500GB drive today. installed ok no problems. Also fitted 1GB Ram http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Laptop-RA...0-200-pin-SODIMM-DDR-Unbuffered-Laptop-Memory £28.49, from recommended list.

Last edited:
Set mine to come on
Mon-Fri 16:00 - 00:00
Sat 09:00 - 00:00
Sun 10:00 - 00:00

Can't hear the drives, but you can hear the fan. It's only just! audible. These times are fine by me, besides, if you need it, just turn it on & leave it on. It will then go back in to sleep mode at the times you have set.

Just got my free 500GB drive today. installed ok no problems. Also fitted 1GB Ram Crucial 1GB PC2-700 200-pin SODIMM DDR Unbuffered Laptop Memory £28.49 - Free Delivery £28.49, from recommended list.

Did you find much difference with the extra memory ?

Did you find much difference with the extra memory ?

The read/write times increased which helped a little with a vista laptop. My xp desktop & works xp laptop work just fine. Both laptops are wireless. When I get time I will hardwire Nas via Gigabit Switch & PS3 to Stream my DVD Collection.

Have tried various options to get vista laptop to work faster with NAS but have not succeded. The vista laptop is not that important so not too bothered. Apparently it''s a known problem with vista. :smashin:

Hi - Hope this is a good place for this. Couple of questions about the Netgear Stora - one of which I just invested in along with a second hard drive to benefit from the Raid 1 backup facility.

Questions:

Unless I am mistaken the Stora uses a proprietry formatting for its drives which is not readable in the PC (you could not remove the drive from the Stora and connect it in the PC and read the drive contents). So as a hyperthetical question (if what I've said is correct) - What would happen if, in some time to come, your Stora failed and Netgear had ceased to make or support the unit by then - how would you recover your data?

Which leads me on to my second question - is there any way of backing up the data on the Stora drive onto an NTFS formatted external drive - other than simple drag and drop of files?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers - John.

Hi

It's the Stora MS2110 - with two 1TB drives in Raid 1. First drive (that came with it) was a Seagate Barracuda and I fitted a WD Green for the second. All works fine. But same question remains - I think the stora formats the drives in UFS (the Unix File System) - can this format be read in any way from the windows platform and, if not, what happens if the Stora unit fails - how would I retrieve the information from the disks.

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers
John

What brand was the 500GB drive?

It came installed with this one "Seagate ST3500321CS"

And this is the FREE drive they sent me "Seagate ST3500418AS"

Hi

It's the Stora MS2110 - with two 1TB drives in Raid 1. First drive (that came with it) was a Seagate Barracuda and I fitted a WD Green for the second. All works fine. But same question remains - I think the stora formats the drives in UFS (the Unix File System) - can this format be read in any way from the windows platform and, if not, what happens if the Stora unit fails - how would I retrieve the information from the disks.

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers
John

I believe you have to send the drive to netgear to extract the contents of the drive

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom