1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netgear MP101

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by DavidPeat, Nov 25, 2004.

1. DavidPeat

DavidPeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I see a lot of interest in the Squeezebox network music player in another thread in this forum.
    Has anyone any experience of Netgears MP101 - it's about half the price of the Squeezbox but nowhere near as cool looking.

Also, if I was to use a Squeezebox or MP101, is a wireless card in the PC sufficient or do I need a full blown wireless router?

Cheers
    David

2. itxweather

itxweather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David,

The MP101 IMHO is a good piece of kit however it's let down with the software that's bundled with it which seems to be very buggy and once again IMHO not very user-friendly. However, i'd still recommend you buy one of these and download an excellent piece of software that seems to perform far better than the bundled one from http://www.twonkyvision.com, this works on Windows XP and also on Linux from what I understand which is good.

Here's the URL for the MusicServer download....

http://www.twonkyvision.com/UPnP/eula-musicserver.html

You shouldn't need to buy a full blown wireless router, a wireless PCI card should do the trick and you're up and running so to speak.

Good luck.

By the way, does anyone know what "TRAP 36" refers to with the MP101, mine plays up sometimes, music distorted and packets of data lost, server is also lost, reboot of software, MP101 and PC is required where this has happened :-(. Does not do this often though thankfully.