1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netgear MP101 Replacement

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Neil in Bristol, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Unfortunately, I'm finding the Netgear MP101 isn't stable enough on my wireless LAN, and I'm looking for a hassle-free replacement.

I've looked at the Philips SL50i and the Terratec Noxon, both of which look like they fit the bill.

The feature I'd most like is the ability to queue songs ready for playing (like a pub jukebox). Could anyone who owns one of these units let me know if they support this? Or any alternative suggestions for less than £100?

Also, if anyone would like to buy a my MP101, let me know and we'll take it to the commerce forums. (Apparently they work well on some wireless LANs and not others, so it's probably a good buy for someone who already has one working and wants a second unit).

2. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Both the Philips and Terratec are a lot more reliable than the MP101 and both have a similar set of features.

Given the choice though, I would opt for the Terratec because it can do internet radio with the computer off and also because the screen is much much larger. The screen on the Philips is too small and doesn't have a backlight so you physically can't see it from more than about 1m away!

I have both, so will check later to see if either support the queued playlist, I know the Squeezebox does, but thats £190! I'll get back to you as soon as I've tried it.

Andrew

3. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks, Andrew. Good to know that the alternatives are more reliable.

Look forward to hearing whether they can queue tracks up. I tend to pick tracks on the fly rather than using playlists, so it's quite an important feature.

If it ends up costing more than about £100, I guess I may as well just get an ipod.

4. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Had problems with my MP101 until I turned off WEP on my WLAN, not missed a beat since then.

Turned on MAC address filtering on my router to get around the issue of not having WEP encryption.

Oh, and don't just buy an Ipod.....take a look around as there is much more to MP3 players than just the Ipod

5. paulrwebster

paulrwebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you can, wire up the MP101 with Ethernet. I have run some Network cable to my MP101 and it works just fine.

Paul (Wireless Is Pants) Webster

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,184
    Neil - which software are you using? I skipped the Netgear server due to all the bad press - the later versions of Twonky MusicServer have a Netgear focused network protocol that can address some of the devices fussiness. Have you tried it?

I also found rearranging the aerial on one MP101 made a big difference to the stability - but it's still not quite as resilient as the one I have wired to a wireless repeater. Don't know if the aerial is replacable with a better external one?

7. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks for all the replies.

The MP101 is in my bedroom, so wired networking isn't really an option, unfortunately. I'll try turning WEP off and see how I get on. Upgrading the firmware, buying a different wireless router and installing Twonkyvision have all helped, but on some days I still can't get it to connect to the network. It just shouldn't be this difficult.

(BTW - by 'ipod' I really meant personal/portable media player, and I'd definitely be taking more of a look through this forum before buying, if it comes to that!)

8. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've just checked both the Terratec and the Philips and neither offer the jukebox option you would like unfortunately. The Terratec comes closest with a favourites button, but it still isn't what you wanted.

The Squeezebox definitely has this feature (press and hold play or use the web interface), but it is quite a lot over budget.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Andrew

Edit: Would the MP101 problem be that it can't get an ip address at all, as this is the problem I have seen a lot with mine!

9. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks for checking for me. I'll hold off for now and try not to throw the MP101 out of the window in the meantime!

I sorted that by giving it a static IP address. Now it's just a problem connecting to the network. It doesn't make any difference if it's right next to the wifi router or in the next room, unfortunately. I'll try it without WEP, but I'm not sure I like the idea of relying on MAC address filtering.

10. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Neil,

My MP101 is as stable as a rock now - AMc mentioned in his post earlier some MP101 specific stuff in Twonkyvision, I checked their site and basically all you need to do is edit the c:\windows\mediaserver.ini file and change a line telling it to use RTP protocol instead of HTTP.

Also worth checking the ini file to make sure that no IP address is listed for your PC then if your PC leases a different address from your router Twonkyvision will still connect.

My MP101 has been spot on all afternoon since making these changes.

I wouldn't worry about using MAC Address filtering for security. End of the day if someone tries to connect to your router and their Mac address isn't in the list they ain't getting on.

Incidentally what router are you using?

11. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thr problem is in connecting to the wireless network. Once I'm connected, it's pretty stable, thanks to the Twonkyvision server, but getting there is sometimes impossible.

I'm using a Belkin Wireless G Router. My previous one, a D-Link 614, was almost totally unusable with the MP101.

12. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Same router as me, I had similar problems until as I turned WEP off . Also got hold of a copy of a Beta firmware update to resolve an issue I had with the Router locking up when downloading large amounts of data (Gb's!)

Think the firmware up date may also have helped, drop me a PM with your EM address if you want a copy of the router firmware update.

I assume you have the latest firmware on your MP101?

13. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,184
    FWIW My wireless MP101 (I also have one connected to a repeater) also has problems finding the server sometime. At first go it will connect to the network and simply ignore the Twonky the other one is playing from. Turn it on and off and it usually connects. I tend to leave it on but stopped unless I'm going out or off to bed. I agree this is pathetic but my MP101s cost £60 and £70 which wouldn't have bought me a single Squeezebox.
    Both units have fixed IPs and the MusicServer is also fixed to make it easier to copy stuff on and off it. My other wireless kit is 2 Buffalo WBR54G routers, one set to WDS repeater mode so my laptop can roam from the office to the lounge to the kitchen without noticing.

I was warned not to update the firmware as they haven't fixed anything :) Mine is dated May 2004

14. diacono

diacono
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is an old topic but I've just found it on google...

Anyway I've been having issues with my MP101. To be honest with you I stopped using it as it crashed so frequently, but since then I now have a WDS setup and really lack any confidence that it would work with WDS (64bit WEP).

Here's the *really* strange thing though. I have WDS setup as a bridge with two routers. When I connect the MP101 via LAN two the WRT54G (which has the gmediaserver connected to the same router) it finds the server.

I then plug it to the other router downstairs (the one with the ADSL connection) it won't find any servers! While I can't ping the MP101 I can see by the results of a portscan that the device is there. It even gets an IP via DHCP.

So my question is, has anyone got the MP101 working on a WDS/bridge network?

Thanks in advance

15. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,184
    If you mean WDS as in Wireless Distribution System then yes I have (see post above). I now have 3 Buffalo routers (one connected to an ethernet ADSL modem serving DHCP and 2 working as WDS repeaters/ethernet switches). One of my MP101s is wired to one of the WDS repeaters and the other works off its own wireless. Neither is directly wired (or directly connected wirelessly) to the music server - both are traversing the wireless network over WDS to 'get to' the Twonkymedia server. I run MAC filtering but no encryption.

Set a fixed IP for your MP101 - even if it's just high up the DHCP range you use for everything else - it will connect faster much more reliably if it doesn't have to use DHCP.

If a wired connection between the MP101 and the server on a single router works but the wireless bridged one doesn't it suggests something odd in the WDS bridge. You say you can ping and portscan the MP101 - is there any chance that some ports are being firewalled on the WDS bridge as the music can go over HTTP or RTP depending on your music server?