For Sale Netgear GS716T 16 Port Gigabit Smart Switch ***RESOLVED***

Discussion in 'Archived Classifieds' started by Syfer, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Syfer

Syfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi,

As title I have a switch for sale as here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-GS716T-ProSafe-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B0036YF93K

In very good condition but without original packaging. Looking for £50 collected or plus P&P (RM only) for this.

Would trade or PX a physically smaller switch but must be Gigabit & at least 8 ports, something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-GS108-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B0000E5SES

Thanks.

I have read the trading rules and agree to abide by them at all times until the transaction is concluded to the satisfaction of all parties involved : Yes.
    --------------------------------------------------
    This message is automatically inserted in all classifieds forum threads.
    By replying to this thread you agree to abide by the trading rules detailed here.
    Please be advised, all buyers and sellers should satisfy themselves that the other party is genuine by providing the following via PM to each other after negotiations are complete and prior to dispatching goods and making payment:
    1) Landline telephone number. Make a call to check out the area code and number are correct too!
    2) Name and address including postcode
    3) Valid e-mail address (no disposable addresses such as @gmail or @yahoo for example).

DO NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.
    Also we advise that the vendor post images of the items for sale. This helps your sale by showing the condition of the goods prior to dispatch.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. qwakuk

qwakuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
  3. Syfer

Syfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
  4. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,299
    Which version of the Netgear GS716T is that please (1,2 or 3) and does it have a fan?

Thank you.

5. qwakuk

qwakuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Happy to trade, will need to measure it tonight tp confirm, only sticking point maybe that mine is in use and idealy would want yours first, swap and post out the next day. It that a problem ?

See the poster under me asked about specifics of the model, which exact model do you have and how old is it etc ?

Waqar

6. Syfer

Syfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

From what I can gather there were 2 versions of the switch & they both have fans. Mine is V1H2 /SW 1.1.2_03 & from the serial number (beginning 1DS) it leads me to believe it is a V1.

Thanks.

7. Syfer

Syfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Model info in reply above. Switch is in good condition with a few marks on the back left where I tried to fit it in a space that was really too small (hence the swap!), no idea on the exact age of the unit but they were introduced in 2010 & the early ones had no version info on the labels so I would think 2-3 years old.

Have no problem sending the switch first as it is not in use.

Thanks.

8. qwakuk

qwakuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Will measure tonight and get a picture of it in situ and happy to go ahead.

9. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,299
    Thanks for that. Got my model numbers mixed up. Was thinking it was a gs724t and wanted a fanless version.

10. qwakuk

qwakuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    10.3 x 28.5 x 2.7 cm size confirmed

My only concern is that the V1 was originally introduced in 2004 so it could be much more than 2 / 3 years old.

Attached Files:

11. Syfer

Syfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I know the switch only started to have a version number printed on the label after 2009 & although this is a V1 it is labelled V1H2 so I would think 2009 or later.

At the end of the day it is a current model still & has a retail of £200 so I think it is a bargain for what I am asking but if you are unsure then not to worry, I understand.

Thanks for measuring the unit, it will fit in the required space!!

12. qwakuk

qwakuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Sorry for not replying earlier, out all day yesterday. Will PM you my address for delivery, will post out mine max 2 days after receiving yours.

13. Syfer

Syfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

No rush with getting yours to me, I do not need it any time soon. I will reply to the PM with my details shortly & should be able to ship the switch out on Tuesday

Thanks.

14. qwakuk

qwakuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    great

15. qwakuk

qwakuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Confirmed the PM, unit is too noisy to locate in a bedroom and I am going to return it.

16. Syfer

Syfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    When you agreed to the sale, before I spent time & money packing it up & shipping it out to you it was mentioned in the thread that the unit has fans. Should you not have picked up on this if it was to be housed in a bedroom?

Which version of the Netgear GS716T is that please (1,2 or 3) and does it have a fan?

From what I can gather there were 2 versions of the switch & they both have fans. Mine is V1H2 /SW 1.1.2_03 & from the serial number (beginning 1DS) it leads me to believe it is a V1.

Thanks for that. Got my model numbers mixed up. Was thinking it was a gs724t and wanted a fanless version.

Also, I am not happy to have the switch back as you have opened the case of the unit. In your PM you state that you have ordered some different fans for the unit to replace the noisy units.

I did not enter into a trade with you so you could TRY the switch? It really is not my fault that you have now decided you don't want it. I paid £13 to ship the unit to you in good faith & I expect you to ship out the other switch as agreed. If you do not want to send out your switch then I ask that you buy the switch for my asking price which was £50 + P&P.

Thanks.

17. Apsilon

Apsilon
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,825
    Moving to disputes and reviewing.

Syfer, can you forward me the PM's that were sent to I am fully aware of the facts before proceeding further.

Regards

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  18. Apsilon

Apsilon
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,825
    Right then, I have received the PM's and have had a read through them and it would seem that the fan noise was immediately apparent to Qwakuk as soon as he booted them up.

However, Syfer did provide a link to the switch and there was mention of the fans in subsequent posts when Syfer was answering questions regarding the item. Qwakuk also stated in PM that he had ordered replacement fans for the unit but made no mention of whether he fitted them or not.

I will have to assume he did because otherwise, if the issue was as bad as described by the buyer, then surely it would have made more sense to simply report it and ask for a refund at that point, rather than going to the trouble of purchasing replacements at further cost and then asking for a refund.

Also fan assisted switches are not quiet or silent and I would have expected anyone looking for one of these to have researched it thoroughly.

In summary, I honestly do not feel the item has been mis-advertised. It works as it should and the noise simply comes down to an individual expectation level. Also if it has been opened and the fans have indeed been changed, then the seller is well within his rights to refuse the refund.

So Qwakuk, can you either pay the amount owed for the switch or send yours as agreed to Syfer.

Regards

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  19. qwakuk

qwakuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The arrangement was a swop for Netgear 16 port gigabit switch (like for like, just different models), okay i was niave and did not appreciate the fans would be a problem prior to agreeing the switch.

I was not and am not gaining anything from the "swop" and do not want to be worse off (ie the noise, constant hum of the fans), i will return the switch to Syfer and if the moderators feel i deserve a ban then so be it.

Waqar

20. Apsilon

Apsilon
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,825
    That would be fine Waqar other than the fact you have opened up his switch and possibly invalidated any warranty that may have remained on it or created further potential issues.

So if you are set on sending it back to Syfer, once he has confirmed receipt of the item and verified both its condition and has made sure it works, then I will review your status as a trading member.

Apsilon

21. qwakuk

qwakuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    That's fine, will take some screenshots tomorrow which will show it is working and pics confirming the condition.

22. qwakuk

qwakuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Going to book a courier and will drop it off for delivery next week.

Screenshot taken a couple of minutes ago showing the switch working from the web interface.

Attached Files:

23. qwakuk

qwakuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Should be delivered today

24. Syfer

Syfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Ok, so I received the switch back today & it is evident that the cover has been removed due to marks on the screws.

So, here I am weeks later, £13 out of pocket for the shipping & all I have now is my original switch back that has been mistreated.

What did I ever do to be treated like this? I hope you had a nice time experimenting with someone else's property & a good laugh knowing that the owner also paid to ship it out to you? Should have known really.

25. Apsilon

Apsilon
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,825
    I agree that the whole fiasco of this trade has left a rather sour taste in the mouth. Qwakuk should have been aware of the noise generated by this prior to purchasing it and when he realised that it was too loud, then he certainly should not have cracked open the switch to install new fans and then ask for a refund. Qwakuk should have simply raised the issue without touching it and then asked if he could send it back at his expense.

It may have been that with a little negotiation and communication, it could have been agreed.

My gut feeling is that Qwakuk should also cover Syfer's initial sending fee for backing out of the deal as he did not honour his side by sending his switch, which ultimately leaves Syfer both out of pocket and the recipient of his now tampered with switch.

So I am issuing Qwakuk a trading ban which will be reviewed 3 months from now. Should he fail to cover Syfer's costs for P+P, then the trading ban will remain in place indefinitely.

Apsilon