Netgear DG834v3 F/w 4.01.30 & 4.01.37

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by surfury, Jun 8, 2008.

1. surfury

surfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Can anyone help, I have a Netgear DG834Gv3 Wireless ADSL Modem currerently running Firmware V4.01.28. Occasionally I find the S/N ratio being recoirded as a HUGE figure 2147483646 is one figure from the screen shots I have taken.

Reading the bugfixes provided on Netgear's Knowledgebase it seems that the latest F/W might solve my problem, trouble is I cannot get to it. Seem to be sent in a circular route ending back on the page I started at. I've upgraded it before and it's a UK model so there should be any problem as I have seen that UK users are using latest F/W.

Has anyone got a solution, or the file. I am getting fed up having to reboot the router (6 times every day sometimes).

2. graystreet

graystreet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    You're presumably getting the download from here?

Right click and save. I can download both fine here.

You will probably have to update with 4.01.30 before putting the latest firmware on.

3. surfury

surfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    OK sorted. Thanks to graystreet for the help, but solution was much simpler. Was running Norton and PeerGuardian (old habits die hard!). Had read somewhere that Norton had a few probs so disabled that and quit PG and guess what, connection to ftp server made nice and cleanly for both F/W files. :D

Tried again later with PG enabled and Norton disabled and still hit a wall, so can conclude that problem lay in PeerGuardian. Will have to update settings or disable it next time. :smashin:

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,413
    Two thousand million probably just means your noise margin has dropped below zero but has the new firmware solved whatever problem you were having?

5. surfury

surfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    To be honest, no it hasn't really solved problem. :rolleyes:

Like you said means I get reading of -1 now instead of 2147483646. Had this problem a bit with original Netgear DG834v1 I had, (new one is actually DG834Geg wireless), however it is only sporadic. Happens for a day or a couple of days and then nothing for months.

Weird !! :confused:

6. ntm1275

ntm1275

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Sounds like something is interfering with you ADSL signal

Has your next door neighbour got a treadmill, apparently these things are notorious for knocking out broadband

It's a like the neighbours flashing lights at Christmas scenario, where during the day everything is fine (lights are off), and then suddenly at the same time every evening your broadband goes down coinciding with your neighbours lights being turned on

Both of the above cause electrical interference on an ADSL line making the noise margin go down

7. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,413
    What problem are you having?

8. surfury

surfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    It's as if someone has just pulled the plug. Can be a pain if uploading or downloading (and the wife bitches like hell when she cannot do her shopping). However if I reboot the Router or just unplug it for half an hour then it carries on fine.

hehe :rotfl: Cannot imagine neighbours on treadmill !!

Electrical/atmospheric interference of some description is my own suggested cause. (It went again while I was writing this, luckily I Cut n Pasted it to Notepad before submission.)

9. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,413
    How long have you given it to reconnect on it's own before you pull the plug?

10. ntm1275

ntm1275

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Do you have a thermostat that turns on a boiler periodically, or is the washing machine filling with water, or even telephone ringing

Any form of electrical interference can knock out broadband, and if your noise margin is already poor, any thing small turning on and off can cause a drop in the noise margin making your broadband loose connection
    When you reboot, the offending item has stopped switching on/off and so your broadband works again

How old is your telephone cable, does it run near electrical cables, is one of your filters on it's way out etc etc
    These may be things that you could look at to improve the noise margin, so that interference does not affect it as much

11. surfury

surfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Can last all day. I'm posting this from work but wife has told me that she cannot connect atm. I have changed microfilters and am using a vanilla BT master socket, used to have BT master socket with built in microfilter from when I had them as my ISP.